• Register Today It's free!

3" lift kit question

l0st0602

Reaction score
City, State
Broward County, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello All

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac with a 3" lift. I want to get it taken off. I would be willing to swap it with someone who has stock parts and wants a lift. But not counting on the swap what would i need to get the lift off?!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3" would be a body lift. You would still have all the stock prices except for the bolts. The bolts in the body lift are 3 inches longer. You would need bolts and alot of patience. Y take it off anyway?

And bumper brackets.

Well gas is 4.00 a gallon lol and im trying to get better gas mileage. I know the lift on the truck isnt stock, so maybe it's bigger than 3"...

Maybe we can work something out but I'd be willing to buy your body lift from you or maybe I can help you remove it and you give me the kit as payment, or something. I often work at my companies Oakland Park office and I could take a look at your truck and see what kind of lift you have if you like. PM me if you want.

I don't want to discourage you to do something you want, but if it's just to get fuel savings, you're going through a lot of work for very little results, in my opinion. I'm not even sure you would have any fuel savings. I didn't notice any appreciable decrease from my body lift, even after adding larger tires.

If you do go through with it, I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem getting a buyer. That's a generous (and smart) offer by Clusterpup. You would have experience in what is involved which would make installation on yours easier and the pain that it will require to remove it is more than worth the cost of having to do that alone.

I hope it works out for the best. Keep us updated.

It's the large tires that are hurtin' your mpg. I've lifted a few trucks in the past - and the lift never changed anything - until I added in larger tires. Why not just keep the lift - and change your gears to better suite your tires.. Much more money but well worth it. Plus it will put less stress on your engine.

I second the offer from clusterpup though - :)

I agree with OffTrac, I didn't have any MPG decrease when I installed my B.L., TT, SL.. It was only when I upped the tire size to 33's when my mpg's went down and that's because the speedo and gears don't match the tire size I'm running now.

If you really want to remove it I'd seriously take Clusterpups offer because you'll need atleast one other person to help you do it.

The parts you'll need to go back to stock are:

rear bumper brackets (could swap with Clusterpup when removing)

body bolts, bed bolts, rad support bolts (could swap with Clusterpup when removing)

You'd have to do both trucks at same time to swap parts though so you'd have to work out a good schedule to do the swap but it's the easiest, cheapest and best route to go, JMO.

agree with OffTrac, MidnightRebel7 and gbeals. it all comes down to the tires. I had the BL on it for about 2 months before getting tires and noticed no difference. But im not discouraging you from removing it, its your truck.

**** ill trade ya dude haha

If you are trying to get good mileage then you bought the wrong truck.. The ST is to heavy for the 6 cylinder to move it efficiently.

Come to think of it I might still have my factory body bolts and bumper brackets in a box somewhere. Let me look around and see if I do.

Great input

Thank you all for the input, now im not sure if i shouldnt just try to get smaller tires... on another note though i got into my truck today and the air conditioner is all of a sudden not working?? I never had a problem with it until now, idk what's wrong with it?

What lift, other then 3" BL is on it? Does it have lift shackles, torsion twist? And finally tire size now? I can tell you what size tire to go with and still be safe with the BL, etc..
Here's a link to check out the differnet tire sizes to go with. Example a 285/75/16 = a 32.8 x 11.2 x 16 this is the tire size I'm running now with a 3"BL, 1.75"TT, SL.

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Dude, its starting to get hot. I don't use my AC much but the days I do are coming. Better get that looked at before summer hits. Is it just not blowing air or the air isnt cool?

@ Clusterpup
Yeah i know it is starting to get real hot down here! It just isnt blowing anymore?!

Could be something simple as a fuse or maybe the blower motor went. I haven't had to play with the AC in my truck yet, so I don't know too much about the way its setup. You know what? Pop the hood and while the engine is running have someone turn on the AC and listen to see if the compressor turns on. If the compressor is turning on it sounds like your fan isnt running for some reason. Have you had any trouble with the different speeds for the fan before now?

I'm running 265/75R16 and haven't had a really noticeable change in gas mileage. Any smaller than that on a body lift, though, and you're going to look funny. I'm not even totally satisfied with the size of my tires now but they made more sense when I drove a lot more because of being in Atlanta.

Back