• Register Today It's free!

aiming headlights and auto on

jimnan

Reaction score
City, State
Denver
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ltd
New ltd with 302A. Headlights are too low - overdrive them when traveling at freeway speeds. Dealer says "operating per ford design." Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, did you get the dealer to re-aim the lights?

Also, the auto light switch does not cause the headlights to come on early enough at dusk. I've been "flashed" (not in agood way) twice by the state patrol for driving at dusk with my lights off. From the beginning, I thought the lights came on too late - now that I am getting interest from the cops, my conerns seem to be confirmed. Again, the dealer says "operating per ford design." Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my recomendation is to ask seni from ford she very nice and she is on this site. Ask her if there is any software update for this issue and if there has been any other complaint on this matter and will ford be responsable for any police matter conserning this. Or go to your local police station and have them give you a letter on there letter head regarding this matter. I will be looking onto it also. I know that when in had my 2002 eddie bauer explorer that one had a very bad response time i never made issue of it but it looked alike other people did because when i then got my 2006 eddie bauer that one had a quicker response time so lets make the blueoval aware of this issue becuase its a very serious issue. Keep me posted like i will do same !!!!

Also, the auto light switch does not cause the headlights to come on early enough at dusk. I've been "flashed" (not in agood way) twice by the state patrol for driving at dusk with my lights off. From the beginning, I thought the lights came on too late - now that I am getting interest from the cops, my conerns seem to be confirmed. Again, the dealer says "operating per ford design." Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks.

I noticed this as well, and turn my lights on manually as dusk falls. Not the solution we want, but better to be safe.

Do you want the unpopular answer? As a police officer, if it's dark and we both agree your lights should be on, and they're not and you tell me that they're automatic, I'm going to ask you if there is a manual overide? Knowing there is and that it's a turn of a switch, my next question would be why wouldn't you just manually turn them on? If you get into or cause an accident, I know it's easy to think you'll just sue Ford, but it's still you on the line.... I'm willing To bet if you got a headlights required ticket, you'd lose in court with a defense of "Their automatic headlights your honor". Like I said, the unpopular answer.

I'm bright enough to trun them on manually - just want to get them working as intended.

I agree, and I've paid very close attention to when they go on. Seems different everytime. Lol I'm going to ask my dealer if there is any threshold adjustment.

I don't see any problems with when my HIDs are coming on. Today in the afternoon it was overcast and rainy and my headlights came on with the Auto setting.

One question about the HIDs, and I think I saw this referenced in the manual - sort of.

When I look at the pattern of the HID lights, they go from left to right with a sharp cut off (call it) mid-horizon. Then a bit after center the cut off line jumps up a considerable amount and continue in a sharp line off the right side of the road. It's like a stair step patter (see below) -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At first I thought the aim was off, but after seeing something similar in the manual, I wonder if it is designed this way so that when driving, the side of the road (always on the right) is lit more brightly and higher than left side of road (which could cause light to shine too high into oncoming traffic?

Anyone know?

Does anybody know if the headlights come on automatically when the windshield wipers are on?

I don't see any problems with when my HIDs are coming on. Today in the afternoon it was overcast and rainy and my headlights came on with the Auto setting.

One question about the HIDs, and I think I saw this referenced in the manual - sort of.

When I look at the pattern of the HID lights, they go from left to right with a sharp cut off (call it) mid-horizon. Then a bit after center the cut off line jumps up a considerable amount and continue in a sharp line off the right side of the road. It's like a stair step patter (see below) -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At first I thought the aim was off, but after seeing something similar in the manual, I wonder if it is designed this way so that when driving, the side of the road (always on the right) is lit more brightly and higher than left side of road (which could cause light to shine too high into oncoming traffic?

Anyone know?

That would be correct. The headlamps were designed that way on purpose.

After someone else mentioned it I tested it and they came on every time. There was a delay of 5-10 seconds, but they always came on. I haven't noticed it, but maybe there is a setting somewhere.

Thanks -- looks like I have something else to add to my list for the dealer.

I tested this out quite a bit yesterday and they never came on with auto. And, if I had them on manually and switched to auto headlights, they would turn off after a delay even though the wipers were still going and did not turn on again (thinking they had to re-adjust).

So, I looked through the manual for setting yesterday and all I found was that it said that if you have auto headlights, they will go on automatically when the wipers go on. OK. Fine. Mine don't, so something to talk to the dealer about.

Well, it's raining today and today they work correctly. I swear, nothing about this car has worked correctly the first time except for pairing my phone. Everything needs a second try. It's like the connections are fully-formed.

Totally odd, but glad to take the problem off my list.

I still wish this thing had DLRs though. It would be nice to have the lights on during a gloomy day in between the rain.

Back