• Register Today It's free!

Chains or knock?

tonyroc14

Reaction score
City, State
LaHabra, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay I'll have to later, I'm not home. I only have 133,000 miles tho :( and the previous owner took great care of this car. I'm Hoping for a bad chain tensioner, but I'm guessing it's a knock :(

I just drove my truck into a mudhole and aquired rod knock. So I might be able to help you out. I checked just about everything and there was no problems, so all signs pointed to rod knock. My truck had 140,000 and was also well maintained. Good luck.

Tony,

I was hoping you would have posted the video of your knocking noise. I may have a similar problem, but has a little something different going on. I was going to charge my son's 97 Sohc A/C. When the compressor kicked in I heard a knocking noise. It is in the upper passenger side front of engine and only happens when the a/c compressor kicks in. I am afraid it is either the altenator or something in the timing chain. It has a lot of miles 172K, but I bought it from a friend who is OCD in his care of his vehicles. I just wonder why it only does it when under load from the compressor. It is NOT the compressor. Anybody have any ideas on how to isolate what the cause may be? It runs good and quiet, even revved up if the compressor is not engaged.

StryctNy9e,

It is hard to tell from the video but your noise does not sound like a rod type knock. More of a upper valve train noise. I would dig into it a little more before swapping the motor. Your noise is also on the driver's side. Again my noise is on the passenger side and only does it when the A/C compressor kicks in. I may take it to the local shop just to let them hear it and maybe tell me where they think the noise is coming from. I have worked around aircraft and my old ears don't hear to well anymore. LOL.

Ed

StryctNy9e,

It is hard to tell from the video but your noise does not sound like a rod type knock. More of a upper valve train noise. I would dig into it a little more before swapping the motor. Your noise is also on the driver's side. Again my noise is on the passenger side and only does it when the A/C compressor kicks in. I may take it to the local shop just to let them hear it and maybe tell me where they think the noise is coming from. I have worked around aircraft and my old ears don't hear to well anymore. LOL.

Ed
I bet you a beer it's your belt tensioner. Same thing happened to my pops explorer. Only with the ac on. 50 bucks for a new one from ford and took me like 30 minutes to install.

does yours sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtkNE3CASs&feature=related

See if those links work

well guys I wish it was that easy. The first thig I did was took off the belt and ran it for a miniute to make sure it was not one of the accesories, alternator, ac pump ect. Nope noise was still there. Next I got a tip to inspect the flex plate. Nope, no damage there. Next lucas oil to see if it was a valve it would calm it down. Nope. Next replaced air filter and molested the exhaust fan to make sure there was no leaks. nope, not there. Next took off the intake so I can inspect the heads. No bent pushrods, broken valves or rockers and no broken springs and everything was tight. soo 100 dollars and no fix. I said Fu*k it and found a 76,000 mile motor for $450. Today I ripped it apart and tommaro two motor mount bolts and out with the old and in with the new.

I wish i could help you out but the sound is not distinct enough for me to tell. I would suggest getting a automotive stethascope from a auto store. I got one from harbor freight $3.99 and it helped alot. I destinctly heard the noise coming from the drivers side 1st or 2nd piston. I didnt want to belive it so thats why I checked everything anyways. Good luck.

By the way you owe me a beer. Ha Ha Ha

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310892

well guys I wish it was that easy. The first thig I did was took off the belt and ran it for a miniute to make sure it was not one of the accesories, alternator, ac pump ect. Nope noise was still there. Next I got a tip to inspect the flex plate. Nope, no damage there. Next lucas oil to see if it was a valve it would calm it down. Nope. Next replaced air filter and molested the exhaust fan to make sure there was no leaks. nope, not there. Next took off the intake so I can inspect the heads. No bent pushrods, broken valves or rockers and no broken springs and everything was tight. soo 100 dollars and no fix. I said Fu*k it and found a 76,000 mile motor for $450. Today I ripped it apart and tommaro two motor mount bolts and out with the old and in with the new.

I wish i could help you out but the sound is not distinct enough for me to tell. I would suggest getting a automotive stethascope from a auto store. I got one from harbor freight $3.99 and it helped alot. I destinctly heard the noise coming from the drivers side 1st or 2nd piston. I didnt want to belive it so thats why I checked everything anyways. Good luck.

By the way you owe me a beer. Ha Ha Ha

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310892

Nahh I don't owe you the beer:p I was talking about th guys car who rattles with the ac.

Well I say eff it to my car and I'll run it till it dies :)

ohhh mybad good luck with your truck. I was gonna drive mine till it blows up also but I do alot of hunting and rec stuff and dont want it to blow up 20 miles from the main road somewhere. That is exactly what would happen with my luck.

ohhh mybad good luck with your truck. I was gonna drive mine till it blows up also but I do alot of hunting and rec stuff and dont want it to blow up 20 miles from the main road somewhere. That is exactly what would happen with my luck.

I would fix it now but the only day off I get is Sunday :(

So I threw in a bottle of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and the noise has stop so far, will het back when it's hotter today. What does that mean? That the stabilizer got rid of the noise? Upper valve issue or bad bearings and the thicker oil is just quieting the noise?

Tonyroc,

I guess I owe you a beer. It really wasn't a bad tensioner but the belt had stretched some. This allowed the two stops on the tensioner to be very close together. When the a/c was on it let the tensioner jiggle a little and the stops banged together. It made a really bad noise and I should have found it easily but expected a bigger problem. I changed the belt and tensioner anyway but I think I could have gotten by with just the belt. Thanks and here is your beer.:chug:

Tonyroc14,

my guess is that something is knocking around in the heads, lifter/valve/rocker/broken spring. That lucas oil is thick as you know and is meant to lube up the head assembly parts. I was hoping that was the the deal with mine but it wasent. I would pull the valve cover on the side suspected of making the noise and check it out. I would search for a how to thread, im sure EF has one. It did for my OHV and was alot of help and information.

Tonyroc,

I guess I owe you a beer. It really wasn't a bad tensioner but the belt had stretched some. This allowed the two stops on the tensioner to be very close together. When the a/c was on it let the tensioner jiggle a little and the stops banged together. It made a really bad noise and I should have found it easily but expected a bigger problem. I changed the belt and tensioner anyway but I think I could have gotten by with just the belt. Thanks and here is your beer.:chug:
Good deal man, glad I could point you in the right direction. My dads did that as well but I just replaced the tensioner not the belt. Come to think of it it's prolly time for a new belt for him
Tonyroc14,

my guess is that something is knocking around in the heads, lifter/valve/rocker/broken spring. That lucas oil is thick as you know and is meant to lube up the head assembly parts. I was hoping that was the the deal with mine but it wasent. I would pull the valve cover on the side suspected of making the noise and check it out. I would search for a how to thread, im sure EF has one. It did for my OHV and was alot of help and information.
Well I am leanin towards something stupid like a loose heatshield or the flex plate hitting the motor plate or even something with the valves. I wouldn't have a problem pulling the covers off, but thanks for the link. I just don't have the time to do this stuff :( but I would much rather it be a valve then a rod because I can replace a head in a day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you check if the fan is loose. After i did my motor swap I forgot to tightened fan bolts and it was making a knocking noise, it scared the crap out of me, I thought the motor was knocking, again.

Back