Rustproofing / Undercoating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rustproofing / Undercoating

As I said - every one is free to spend his money as one pleases. You want to rustproof your car - go right ahead.

I agree that European (German for example, I am not sure about Fiat) cars seem to hold up quite well without rust. But even Japanese cars - which I always thought to be rust magnets - can do quite well - we have in our extended family a 2001 Rav4 and 1999 Camry - that have had no aftermarket rust protection, have lived their whole lives on cold, wet Ontario roads with all the salt, and have no rust. I should say no visible signs on rust - including the entire area under the car, wheel-wells, doors etc.
So yes - in my personal opinion - if you intend to use a car for 0-12 years as I usually do - rustproofing is a waste of money. That opinion has incidentally been backed by Consumer Reports for a number of years. If you are planning to keep your car 15-25 years I might see wisdom in it - but most people don't.

like my post states, no rhyme or reason to which ones. But you also need to know where to look. Most all cars have "spots" that are notorious. If someone wants an opinion from a PROFESSIONAL get it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Undercoating/paint protection

Salesman just sent me an e-mail asking if I'd be interested in getting the undercoating and paint protection done on my new truck. The price was 2499 but they were offering it to me for 1899. I respectfully declined. I'll reserve my other opinions until people chime in stating if they paid for it or not. Wouldn't want to ruffle any feathers. ;)

About $1800 of the $1899 is pure profit. Good decision.

You don't need it no new car really needs it !!! The nex is made mostly of aluminum that is a rip off !!

My attitude is that if it was so good, why wouldn't Ford just put it on the vehicle at the factory?

My guess is that its just a coat of wax.

About $1800 of the $1899 is pure profit. Good decision.

Bingo-Exactly!

He might have just emailed you and asked if you wanted to buy non breakable and non leakable vavle stem caps and nitrogen air for $999.99.

Im chiming in, this is the kind of garbage that keeps dealer impressions at their alltime and well deserved low....

I had it done on mine, it is not worth it. It's basically sprayed wax. The promise was that dirt would not stick to the paint, and rain would wash dirt off.

It does bead up water like Rain-X, but dirt stays on even when sprayed with a pressure hose.

Ask them to sell it to you for $50 bucks. Because it is essentially an exterior detailing with wax applied :)

I am disappointed, and strongly discourage from purchasing it.

My attitude is that if it was so good, why wouldn't Ford just put it on the vehicle at the factory?

My guess is that its just a coat of wax.

I completely agree with this guy!! ^

Wait untill you see the under body, you'll ask yourself why they would even bother to ask you that question. It is not a pickup truck that is completely open.

Also agree with the Gent who said if Ford isn't doing it that it ain't needed!!:salute:

Undercoating, interior protection, perm wax

When I picked up my car a few weeks ago they tried to sell me the undercoating, leather protection, and permanent wax. It sounds like a good idea. I certainly want to protect my car from rusting underneath and on the body, but is this necessary? If so, any recommendations on where to do it?

Thanks in advance

The permanent wax and interior treatment i tried, it was nice, but it is not permanent, they said under best conditions it will last 3-5 years.

When I picked up my car a few weeks ago they tried to sell me the undercoating, leather protection, and permanent wax. It sounds like a good idea. I certainly want to protect my car from rusting underneath and on the body, but is this necessary? If so, any recommendations on where to do it?

Thanks in advance

Where do you live? These "treatments" are almost 100% profit form the dealer and aren't worth the money in my opinion. If you are worried about the underside of the vehicle go to one of the truck bed liner places and talk to them. For the paint and leather wax and condition the car about every 6 months and you will be fine. Keep the vehicle clean and don't smoke in it also and it will last a long time.

I'll also add, keep it out of the sun if you can.

The garage is a wonderful thing. We have to work to keep the garage clear for the vehicles. Even better, I have a parking garage to park in at school, and it is the bees knees.

That is all gimmick it's 100% rip off don't go for it !!!!

Ha! This is straight out of the movie Fargo where William h Macy keeps trying to sell the undercoating package to the customer.

My reasoning is that if this stuff is so great, why doesn't Ford apply it at the factory?

My reasoning is that if this stuff is so great, why doesn't Ford apply it at the factory?

Oh silly, it's all for profit. My dealership told me the Explorer doesn't need undercoating at all because these newer cars have much better painted parts. I think this was after the spring snapping incidents though. My own dealer didn't even attempt to sell me that B.S. and said just wash it constantly and clear the salt off during the winter and I'll be fine.

on my previous vehicle (2010 maxima), i purchased their paint and leather protector option, ONLY because it was my first vehicle with leather and it would have covered any stains i couldn't get out and they repaired any small tears/rips in the leather or replaced it if it couldn't be fixed.....luckily nothing like that ever happened because i tend to be careful with my interiors and such, but it was nice to know it would've been repaired IF something had happened.....needless to say, i didn't get that package with the explorer, but i DID get the extended bumper to bumper warranty...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the 2nd new car I have purchased but 1st car with leather interior so I went with the protection. It is called ResistAll and my dealer offered it for $600 and it is covered for 7 years and is renewable afterwards. It covers rips, stains, etc. I have a Chocolate Lab so I figure it seems like a great deal. I just hope when the time comes for repair work, it better be a smooth transaction.

Back