Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Unless you have forced induction, after market intakes do very little if nothing at all. Waste of money!!!

I recently spoke to one of powertrain engineers at a Ford Event and specifically asked about adding a cold air intake. He said exactly that, waste of money. In order to see any noticeable improvement he advised CAI would need to be part of a package which would also have new PCM programming, and new exhaust.

The Interceptor Utility Police Program engineers tried these improvements when asked to get more power for the Police Utility. The end result was the 3.7L V6 Mustang engine is now the Police Utility base engine. 300HP, only 10HP more then the retail Ex but much better lower end torque for "take off acceleration".

I drove it at the end of March and its quite a different drive then our Ex's. Its quite a compliment to the engineers because they have been able to make the Utility handle and perform almost like a Taurus SHO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+2 For noise, Limited without moonroof.

The other annoying noise is the rush of air from the rear climate system.

Anyone have a theory on why this area is so thin gauge metal. Sound insulation weight I doubt was a concern, could it be a crumple zone? Def something in the design my guess.

I flicked my finger on the roof beginning at the top and worked down to the leading edge just above the windshield. This sounds like a steel drum! My guess is the steel was stamped to bend down to the windshield and in the process was put under a lot more tension than the roof-top (and may be a bit thinner), which gives it a higher pitch. Also, there must be a space there with nothing touching the metal to give it such resonance.

Don't have my Ex yet but I wonder if it's easy to put some Dynamat there to resolve the issue.

I just tried fixing it with Dynamat- no luck. The "drum" portion of the roof is inaccessible from the inside because there is additional metal there, maybe some structural member or something. The metal is bonded (with rubber-type adhesive) to the roof structure right about where the roof goes from angled to flat. It is possible to get Dynamat on the roof further back but not anywhere on the angled part. There does not seem to be any way to get any sort of spray in there, either.

My hope now is that it would be possible to fill the void between the metal and the headliner with some sort of accoustic pad. I could feel something like that further back along the roof, maybe it is possible to buy that from Ford and "stuff" it between the headliner and the angled portion of roof.

+1 for noise (Limeted w/o Moonroof) - Ford needs to do something. $44,000 and the noise is louder than my shed.

I just tried fixing it with Dynamat- no luck. The "drum" portion of the roof is inaccessible from the inside because there is additional metal there, maybe some structural member or something. The metal is bonded (with rubber-type adhesive) to the roof structure right about where the roof goes from angled to flat. It is possible to get Dynamat on the roof further back but not anywhere on the angled part. There does not seem to be any way to get any sort of spray in there, either.

Is it possible to get a picture of what you saw?

The overhead lights/sunglass holder/?roof control panel easily comes out from the roof, just grab the sides and pull- mine came out surprisingly easily.

I would post a picture but there really isn't much to see. There is some sort of plastic framework box with various openings in it. One large opening towards the back is big enough for me to get my entire hand through. Towards the front, there is some sheet metal with 2 screws in it and a hole. The hole leads to a second piece of sheet metal but does not seem to be deep enough to be the cavity to the roof.

So who is going to be the first one to take Cory up on trying to get Ford to fix this design flaw. Curious to see if it actually results in anything being done.

If Dynamat isn't an option, I wonder if something like this would work. I used it inside a speaker box for a previous project.

20110425-ndh8tcw7q5wp5q5x8y9m3pasxt.jpg

You can't get to the piece to spray it.

Just got my Ex -- on a rainy day (and it's been raining ever since). My husband and I were driving it, and both looked at each other and said, "What is that noise?" It was the rain noise, sure enough. And I wouldn't have believed how annoying it was until I actually experienced it. I have a moonroof. And I just traded in a similar vehicle (another brand) -- and NEVER had any noise like this from the roof. For me, Ford goofed on this one. I hope they do the right thing and find a way to fix it for us.

This topic is a perfect example of why the manufacturers should support, or at the very least monitor, these forums. And I am glad to see that Ford does in fact monitor this forum.

Thanks to Mr. Horwitz for running the forum. May I suggest that members upgrade their membership to "Elite Explorer"? Click on the link "Join the Elite Explorers Today" at the top of the page, or go here: http://www.explorer4x4.com/elite.html

I upgraded because I feel like $20 is a great price for everything I have learned so far.

I have PM the ford rep from here about the roof sound and the prop to hold up the hood instead of shocks we will see if it helps.

The other annoying noise is the rush of air from the rear climate system.

I heard that on my test drive but that rear system really kicks out the air! My kids hair was blowing like they were in a wind storm!

I haven't kept up with the thread so maybe it was already mentioned, but in one of the holes mentioned above, could you inject this into the roof pannel?

Great-Stuff-250.jpg

No room to spray foam- the one hole appears to be through the first of a double wall- the gap is only ~1/2" and the back is still a significant distance from the roof at that point.

There is room between the headliner and the metal structure but I would never spray any expanding foam in there! I've seen that stuff mess up 2x4 lumber when sprayed into a small gap.

To my eye, the easiest fix would be some sound blanket to fill the gap between the structure and headliner. Next easiest would be to drill a hole from the inside and foam the space.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't kept up with the thread so maybe it was already mentioned, but in one of the holes mentioned above, could you inject this into the roof pannel?

Great-Stuff-250.jpg

If you use this stuff, get the stuff made for around windows and doors. I think it has a blue cap. This stuff will bow the metal and do all sorts of unwanted things when it expands.

Back