Offroad shocks and lift kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad shocks and lift kit

Wabash

Reaction score
City, State
DubVee
I have my limited on order.. I just got assigned a VIN number so I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much longer. I'm looking to get some off road shocks and a lift kit. Anyone have any suggestions what might work with the new model? I can't find anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shocks should be easy, even if custom. Springs, I'd start with some spacers and see what problems you make.

You simply won't find off the shelf extended control arms, etc. If you want to go big, you might just double your investment in your Explorer.

This is simply an educated guess. I never considered lifting the explorer.

Shocks nor springs will probably be "easy" - we can't even get offroad performance shocks for the 4th Gen. Explorers/2nd Gen STs. Maybe someone will do a spacer lift after while. You could try having aluminum spacers fabbed up, don't go over ~1.5" thick though.

I regret to inform you if you bought a 2011 Ex with a intention of lifting it and making it a great offroader, you probably had the wrong idea. No offense.

But, there's always Coil Spring Specialities for coils, but then you still need longer shocks with you want to be a realist.

Shocks nor springs will probably be "easy" - we can't even get offroad performance shocks for the 4th Gen. Explorers/2nd Gen STs.

Shocks should be easy. Bilstein will custom make the length you ask for and valving based on vehicle weight. Not cheap, but easy. For my Jeep I just called mad4wd (mad4wd.com) and told them what I needed.

Ok, I guess I'll give you the shocks, but I'm not positive about that.

For my Jeep
Oh course Mad4wd did (btw, nice site, they have some good fab stuff). It is a JEEP!! Jeeps just naturally have craploads of aftermarket and most offroad shops can work on them because everyone has the things! If you show up to a shop with a 2011 Ex - A. They might laugh. B. They could very well ruin your new vehicle due to lack of experience with vehicles like the Ex. I'm not saying all shops will, but you need to find a really reputable shop with lots of diversified experience.
And taking your car to a fab shop will definitely cost a lot of money. I'm sure they'd charge over $2000 if you had them make a real suspension lift for a 2011 Ex. Might as well 2xSAS at that point.

Wishful thinking. It will probably be late fall before a lift kit is going to be available.

There will not be any commerical lift kit.

The drive system is electronic, so you will need a new program to operate with larger diameter tires.

Nobody is making gears, so regear is not an option. There is no transfer case, so offroad perfomance potential is very limited.

Ya I'm really not planning to be doing any extreme off roading.. Mainly looks.. I will be doing a little bit but the stock x would be able to do what i would go through as it is

This wouldn't be my choice for a lifted vehicle since the new Explorer is based on the same frame as the Taurus. Not having climbed underneath one I am going to bet since it is a FWD vehicle at heart that it will be a pretty penny to get any substantial lift. Also to note you can normal go 1" diameter larger tires without any negative effect to the speedometer as almost all vehicles have about a 2-3 MPH over actual speed in them.

Isn't the Jeep also a unibody platform? Modifying the Explorer 2011 with lifts shouldn't be too difficult.

The explorer has a transaxle engine which is geared towards FWD and changes how suspension is setup. I think the largest challenge for any sort of significant lift would be the angle of the drivetrain components like CV joints or length of drive shafts since there is no front differential to lower and the fact that most lift kits for RWD engines lower the front differential with bolt on brackets and there is no such solution for FWD.

I've seen running second gens go for $500 with respectable mileage 'round here.

Why screw with a 2011 to make it "look" like it can go off road when you can save your money and build a dedicated trailing rig?

Back