seat recliner recall and engine noise issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

seat recliner recall and engine noise issue

tomg4121

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So I made an appointment last week for today to have the rear seat recliner recall taken care of. About 4 hours after dropping it off the dealer calls and says the parts are on backorder and they don't know wen they will have them. Marvelous, it would have been nice if they made the appointment when they have the parts. I gave the service manager an earful and he said they'll make it right. We'll see.
The other issue was regarding a light tapping/tick noise on the engine when warming up I wanted them to check out. (It's not the fuel injection ticking on top of the engine). They told me there is a bulletin out on it #21647 for the Edge, Explorer and MKX with 3.5 and 3.7 L engines. I have this printed out and it mentiones it will not cause damage or long term durability concerns. A technician there mentioned it has to do with the variable timing (phase?). Engineering is investigating and for the dealer to monitor oasis for updates effective 12/15/2010. Does anyone notice this tap/tick on there vehicle or have any further insight on this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal every 3.5L and 3.7L do it especially when cold, have never seen an engine failure except for camshaft phasers.

How frequent do the camshaft phasers fail? Are these major to replace?

They are not a concern on the 2010 up so far but it would be a major job if they did go bad.

So I made an appointment last week for today to have the rear seat recliner recall taken care of. About 4 hours after dropping it off the dealer calls and says the parts are on backorder and they don't know wen they will have them. Marvelous, it would have been nice if they made the appointment when they have the parts. I gave the service manager an earful and he said they'll make it right.

I had a 2000 Ford Focus (I think I got the 1st recall notice before I even made it home from the dealership the day i bought it) and I made an "appointment" with the dealer to do a recall.

Get there and they said, "Ok we'll have to order you the part." WTF you idiots, I have the recall notice with the part info, and made an appt? No sense of customer service. My 2000 Focus allowed me to visit many dealerships in my area to have various recalls performed...

Also I just got a brand new 2011 Edge with the 3.5L and it ticks.

I took my Flex back in with the 3.5 because it ticks as well. I was told that it is normal. It could be something like a fuel injector open/close causing the tick.

I took my Flex back in with the 3.5 because it ticks as well. I was told that it is normal. It could be something like a fuel injector open/close causing the tick.

Mine does the ticking thing too. Was going to take it in but if thats normal I'll let it ride.

Besides our 2011 Ex, I have an 11 Edge Sport with the 3.7. It ticks, dealer told me it normal. Sounding like maybe it's not?

What does the ticking sound like? Can you hear it in the cabin or the outside? Anyone have a video of it?

I have never heard any ticking on my 3.5. I have the tow package though, maybe that has something to do with it?

The 5.4L in the F150's have done this for years. There is a cam phaser that adjusts the tension on the timing chain for start up to change the timing for cold startup. There were notorious for breaking in the early 2000 F150's but it has supposed been rectified. My F150 makes a bunch of racket when cold and after it warms up it quiets down a lot. I know my engine also makes a decent amount of noise due to the fuel injection and the two sounds are almost the same so that is just a thought.

If you search for F150 cam phasers you will find a pile of threads on it

Besides our 2011 Ex, I have an 11 Edge Sport with the 3.7. It ticks, dealer told me it normal. Sounding like maybe it's not?

All other posts have said this is normal, your dealer told you its normal. Why does it sound like maybe its not?

Most vehicles with variable cam timing are gonna make some noises, its is audible from outside the vehicle. Most people dont even recognize it.

Back