Ford's MFT "Program" through Dec 2011 is for ONE UPDATE ONLY? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford's MFT "Program" through Dec 2011 is for ONE UPDATE ONLY?

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
My service advisor called me this afternoon asking why didn't I tell her that I had already gotten MFT updated at another dealer. She said that Ford was refusing to pay for today's update from 2.7 to 2.8 under the pretense that "he already got his free update."

I explained to her that I didn't know what was done to the car before (I took delivery at another dealer) and that I had complained to them like I complained to her today that my phone wasn't connecting.

She said that she would resolve it with Ford. But that as a heads up, Ford's "program" is for one free update only and that if I want MFT updated again I'm gonna have to pay for it. Not wanting to get into and argument, I didn't respond.

SENI OR CORY, please clarify your post here about Ford's offer to update MFT for free through January 2012 and confirm/deny what my dealer said.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow- it is a bit disturbing to think that those of us on the leading edge will be left out in the cold for helping launch a new vehicle.... I'm hoping they will take care of us. :)

Did I miss the fine print? This is a terrible policy. It's not as if these are feature updates. You shouldn't have to pay for bug fixes. Who charges for minor updates? Major upgrades, I might understand. Of course, we don't even know for sure what these updates accomplish because Ford doesn't release even basic details. Even the mobile app developers release updates and information for 99 cent apps.

If it is true that I will have to pay for updates to an obviously-not-quite-ready-for-primetime system, then I'm going to rethink this purchase.

If Ford wants to be the tech-friendly auto manufacturer, they need to step up. If they are going to charge for minor bug fixes, they need to make it clear to the customer. They need to release version information.

This is unbeleivable....this POS system doesnt work anywhere near what was promised and now when owners take the time out of their busy schedule to take a brand new vehicle in for an update its going to cost us $$$?

I dont think so.

So you have a decision to make. Do you get the current update and hope that it fixes some or most of your problems (since Ford refuses to say what each update fixes) or do you wait and suffer with your malfunctioning Sync and hope that another update comes that addresses all of the bugs (although, again, you still wont know since Ford won't tell you what the updates correct).

Gotta love the "We gave you an awesome piece of tech, but now you have to pay us to make it work" attitude.

I agree too BUT Ford needs to make it easy enough for us to update it so the dealers don't get stuck booking their bays for this stuff. I sure do not want to pay for every update, does Blackberry charge for each update? NO!!

ps: How much are they going to charge

Ford will hopefully figure out a way for us to install our own updates. If each update requires 35 minutes of tech time and a dedicated service computer I can understand the desire to charge for updates from a financial perspective.

As an end user, I expect them to make it all work at no cost. Heck, in a perfect world they would have to compensate me for the lost hour or more required of me to get the system updated. :)

I really do wonder about a major company releasing such a rough product. Just a hunch, but I bet the marketing department was ahead of the engineering folks. That said, I also have a LOT of respect for Ford these days. Even more so after my experience with this forum. I trust they will take care of us.... And as a sign of good faith they can release the Police Interceptor suspension pieces for sale to us. ;-)

I will never pay for bug fixes. If they have a rev that ADDS functionality, I may consider paying for it...after I get the things I was already supposed to have.

The day I pay for an incremental update is the day I hand them a bill to compensate me for an overdrive hotspot for X months since they do not have a highly sought after and advertised feature working.

They shouldn't charge to fix something that isn't working! All of these are just stupid bug fixes that should fix what you should already have for paying 1,000 on this system. They should realize that there system is not properly working and that we shouldn't have to pay out of our pockets for this mess.

@the OP...how much are they trying to charge you for the update?

They were not trying to charge me; they were telling me that Ford didn't want to pay them.

I think people are overreacting. This is the first time we heard this. Many people have had 2 upgrades already and no one else has posted anything like this. I think it is a dealer issue and until we see more people saying/confirming this, I dont believe Ford corp is saying one upgrade.

This is a warranty issue, it is not like we are requesting nav map updates which would be a charge.

Interesting....
If someone took delivery of a truck with 2.4 & it crashed & was updated with 2.7 to fix the previous problems, yet still had problems, they would be entitled to get 2.8 to fix said issues....and so on & so on, til the MFT worked as promised!
FREE..under warranty...PERIOD.

I agree that bug fixes should be a warranty issue. However, I am concerned by the official announcement via the linked post above that the free updates will only apply through December 2012. A bug fix is a bug fix and bug fix updates/ patches should be free period (Microsoft, Sony and even my odd chinese made Blue Ray player (via firmware upgrade) provide this for free). One of the big selling points of Sync and the new MyFord Touch was the availability of updates (it was even discussed by Ford as a feature and written about after the 2010 and 2011 CES).

I believe that the December 2012 date was thrown out because Ford knows that by this time the bugs will be all worked out. I have to believe if the problems are not fixed by the end of 2012, Ford will take care of its MyFord Touch customers if only to avoid the customer service and publicity black eye that would come from failing to address these problems (bad publicity from consumer publications and class action lawyers who would line up for this one if the problems persist and are not fixed by Ford via free updates/ actually, may line up anyway even if they are fixed).

push to the top so Seni can see this....

My dealer won't charge for updates.

The Explorer is quickly becoming a rolling disaster with the MFT issues, A pillar rattles, tinny roof issue, build quality problems and a dealer service network that is running lawless/unguided making its own rules as what they will fix and charge for.
Is there some sort of end to this disorganized circus.

Ford corp assign some ownership grab this bull by the reigns and lets get everyone on a unified front to take care of those of us who sunk money into this vehicle.

The Explorer is quickly becoming a rolling disaster with the MFT issues, A pillar rattles, tinny roof issue, build quality problems and a dealer service network that is running lawless/unguided making its own rules as what they will fix and charge for.
Is there some sort of end to this disorganized circus.

Ford corp assign some ownership grab this bull by the reigns and lets get everyone on a unified front to take care of those of us who sunk money into this vehicle.

Rolling disaster?? Far from it. I've yet to have a single sync issue with 2.7 except for a couple times where it took 4 or 5 seconds to respond so I ended up hitting the button a 2nd or 3rd time thinking it didn't pick up on it the 1st time.

There are thousands of happy owners who haven't had any issues.. you ust always see the 2% that have issues post all the time. People flock to the net to b!tch but rarely come on for praise. You have ONE owner who has said that their dealer is telling them Ford doesn't want to pay. ONE!! Out of all the people who have been updated on FB and on here.. It's the exception, not the norm.

You also have to remember that a lot of the crap you see on here is from an uneducated dealer, not Ford direct.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2.4 and have not had any major problems to flock for an update just yet. What frustrates me is there seems to be no consistant approach or guidance from Ford to its dealer network to address issues or support the technology they rolled out. Some dealers know alot about MFT while others are clueless. Some fix the A pillar rattle no questions asked others make owners jump through hoops and get Cust Serv. involved. Overall I like my Ex despites some of its issues I think the problem is the vehicle was rushed to market to soon.

Back