What is your opinion on having the three separate forums now? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What is your opinion on having the three separate forums now?

Should the Order Status Forum merge back with the Stock 2011 Forum??

• Yes merge Order Status with the Stock 2011 forum

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • No do not merge Order Status with the Stock 2011 forum

Votes: 29 64.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know Rick and I together put about 3-4 hours into moving threads from the mix up into the new order status forum. No big deal? Not much to weed through?

IMO it will be a jumbled mess down the road if nothing is done now to keep it in order. Let it get that far out of hand and I will not be interested in helping clean it up again. We seperated 6 pages of order status threads out of the stock 2011 sub forum. I think that justifies it

I've been here a while. I look at the current vote, and have to put my face in my palm because in all honesty you really do not know what you are asking for. It is not opinion, it is fact. I don't know how a guy could get any information on a stereo install if the audio and navigation sub forum wasn't there-but see therein lies the issue of which we are speaking.
The new owners haven't had to fix anything on their own yet-but believe me when the warranties start to expire you will want the information sorted for ya. I bet my last dollar on it. And if you wait until the problem is evident, nobody will be able to clean it up, if you could even get someone to try.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand your thoughts but there were two forums that I was an active member of when I owned my Dodge Ram. They were:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen-ram-120/

This forum had all posts together in one forum. This is the forum that I defaulted to and was most active in because I thought it was easier to view and participate in.

This is the other forum. Look at how many sub forums they have. It's crazy!

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=447

Yes, if I wanted information on a stereo than I could go to the stereo forum but the fundamental problem with this is the many people that could help me out may not be looking or interested in the stereo forum at that time.

Once I had my stereo question answered, what is the likely hood that I'm going to be viewing the stereo forum as often as I do the the general forum.

I still think there is a great benefit in having one forum where are whole user community is viewing/participating and can share valuable advice and knowledge in one place. IMHO of course.

Myself,I like it.I was tired of seeing all the rants as to why Ford did not notify people when every bolt is tightened on their Ex.Two months or better is not uncommon,in the auto industry, to build a vehicle.I have been there,done that,many times.
I can now explore the post where people have legitiment problems that effect 2011 owners and read,how as a forum,we may be able to resolve our concerns.
Hats off to Rick and all of the moderators for seeing the need to make information a little easier to access.I know people resent change, as a whole,even when the change will benefit them and all users in the future.Just give it a little time.

+1 :thumbsup:

Others complained that relevant information was too hard to find. :rolleyes:

This really does make it easier. Now if you have a brake issue for instance, you do not need to weed thru pages of order complaints.
When I say pages it s not an exaggeration. In fact, I bet a year from now the order complaints sub forum will go away completely.
THANK YOU! You guys are nice to start another forum for all the "I ordered one" I got one" "I'm mad" "I'm happy" threads.

They're a-stayin!!
:thumbsup:

I know Rick and I together put about 3-4 hours into moving threads from the mix up into the new order status forum. No big deal? Not much to weed through?
Thanks for the work, guys. I've almost given up on reading the forum with all the noise threads. You've given them a home and everyone who wants to read and post can do that there.

THANK YOU! You guys are nice to start another forum for all the "I ordered one" I got one" "I'm mad" "I'm happy" threads.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the work, guys. I've almost given up on reading the forum with all the noise threads. You've given them a home and everyone who wants to read and post can do that there.

You joined in 2003 and have 33 post? Are the rest in another forum? Forums are only valuable if people contribute, not just read.

And where is this so called home for the noise threads? Are you referring to the order status forum where people are legitimately wondering why their Explorers have not been delivered after three months?

Since I have my explorer, I prefer not to see everyone elses ordering problems. Like others have said, I figure as the dealer lots become more populated, the ordering forum will die down and will need to merge. Until then, keep it separate.

Since I have my explorer, I prefer not to see everyone elses ordering problems.

There is nothing wrong with that but again proves my point that each separate forum will have less of an audience to provide helpful feedback.

OK, I've made my opinion clear and will now move on...

Nonetheless, Thank You so much to everyone for these great forums and those that take the time to contribute and post!

I was specifically asked by 2011 owners who were upset that 2011 members were being treated like second class members because the 2011 forum had not been split into modified, and stock sections as had been done with all other generations of the Explorer.

I think we are second class to most on this site simply for not having a frame and low range. Over time, the new model will be accepted. I wasn't here when IRS went in, but the loss of the 8.8 must have been a ruckus.

The current setup is the way it should be. The mods have to have organization, and three total sub forums is really not bad. If they made a lighting, an audion, a wheel/tire, and other 11 specific forums ad nauseum I would not like it. Three is easy.

Not to mention, a lot of things aren't 2011 specific. Check out the rest of the site.

There is nothing wrong with that but again proves my point that each separate forum will have less of an audience to provide helpful feedback.

The problem is.. most of the people are weeding through these order status posts don't have any helpful feedback to give anyway. There are only 3 or 4 members that actually have valuable information regarding Ford ordering process and timelines. Cory, Seni, and a couple of other Ford employees, and I assume they will still monitor the order status forum.

The order status posts were pushing useful and relevant questions off the page.

Please! Go back to one thread

You joined in 2003 and have 33 post? Are the rest in another forum? Forums are only valuable if people contribute, not just read.

Well, I'll give my input here. Since it came up and apparently matters, I've got more than dco's 33 posts. I contribute, a lot- so I'll add my .02 :rolleyes:

First, the format of the rest of the forum works, and works very well. The first order should be to search anyway if you're looking for specifics, so whether or not there is one subforum or 10 subforums for the 2011's is completely irrelevant. All of the results show up at the same time on the same page. If you're not searching and prefer to just read posts, you can select one of three forums. It's literally like 5 extra clicks if you want to see all of the posts in each forum individually. Why is that so hard?

...but

Secondly, you guys need to find the "new posts" button up top right next to the search button. That solves this whole issue. When I sign on, I click "new posts" on the top bar, and it shows me the new posts that have been made since I last checked or signed in. That shows me what's new, and what threads have changed. If they haven't, I don't need to read them again until they do. That allows me to participate and contribute no matter what forum they're in. I haven't clicked a forum directly in a long, long time. I'm not going to read through old posts if I don't need to.

If someone has a stereo question, it will show up in my new posts click. If I can help, I'll help. I'm not going to click the 2011 forum to see if there is a question in there. I don't read each individual forum.

The forums need to be separated, it will be a nightmare to arrange, organize, and maintain for the guys that do it if they are not. This isn't 1993, and we're not running a BBS that has question after question after question in one thread either. So, having everything lumped into one subforum makes no sense either. The 2011 forum is growing very quickly, and needs to be organized similarly to the other generations.

Some of you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. I don't think some understand the amount of work and cultivating that it takes the forum mods and owners to maintain this resource, especially if it is being used for free. As has been said- this isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship- as Rick sees fit. The fact that he even put up a poll to get input speaks volumes. Whatever Rick and the mods think is the most efficient way to maintain and organize to make their lives simpler is what I think they should do.

Hear hear

Well, I'll give my input here. Since it came up and apparently matters, I've got more than dco's 33 posts. I contribute, a lot- so I'll add my .02 :rolleyes:

First, the format of the rest of the forum works, and works very well. The first order should be to search anyway if you're looking for specifics, so whether or not there is one subforum or 10 subforums for the 2011's is completely irrelevant. All of the results show up at the same time on the same page. If you're not searching and prefer to just read posts, you can select one of three forums. It's literally like 5 extra clicks if you want to see all of the posts in each forum individually. Why is that so hard?

...but

Secondly, you guys need to find the "new posts" button up top right next to the search button. That solves this whole issue. When I sign on, I click "new posts" on the top bar, and it shows me the new posts that have been made since I last checked or signed in. That shows me what's new, and what threads have changed. If they haven't, I don't need to read them again until they do. That allows me to participate and contribute no matter what forum they're in. I haven't clicked a forum directly in a long, long time. I'm not going to read through old posts if I don't need to.

If someone has a stereo question, it will show up in my new posts click. If I can help, I'll help. I'm not going to click the 2011 forum to see if there is a question in there. I don't read each individual forum.

The forums need to be separated, it will be a nightmare to arrange, organize, and maintain for the guys that do it if they are not. This isn't 1993, and we're not running a BBS that has question after question after question in one thread either. So, having everything lumped into one subforum makes no sense either. The 2011 forum is growing very quickly, and needs to be organized similarly to the other generations.

Some of you are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. I don't think some understand the amount of work and cultivating that it takes the forum mods and owners to maintain this resource, especially if it is being used for free. As has been said- this isn't a democracy, it's a dictatorship- as Rick sees fit. The fact that he even put up a poll to get input speaks volumes. Whatever Rick and the mods think is the most efficient way to maintain and organize to make their lives simpler is what I think they should do.

I hear ya loud and clear!

The "new post" button is pretty cool, I never used it before, however, I wish it had a drop down that only selected the forum you were interested in, such as the 2011.

9k+ posts! :notworthy wow! :thumbsup:

In all fairness, most of my posts were pics of me eating though... :)

Seriously though- that 'new posts' button changed the way I read forums forever, about 6 years ago... Before that, I used to click each forum to see what was new. Not I'm in and out in under 20 minutes... :D

And the measure of contributions is post count? Not hardly.

I could have posted a bazillion posts about how I ordered my Explorer in late January, wasn't in a hurry, have been waiting patiently, am excited to get it, it was built last week, will be in transit soon, I like my dealer a lot, have had a '97 I loved, an '02 that's OK, want more tow capacity, etc. That would get me at least a dozen more posts. But it wouldn't contribute anything to the worthwhile content of the site.

Once I do have it, and have something worthwhile to add to a conversation, you can be assured I will.

right on... :thumbsup:

that's like my now passed-away grandfather- said little, but when he did, everyone listened. :)

Not like me, I dribble crap so much I keep a roll of toilet paper next to the computer!:)

Love the separation. :thumbsup:

In all fairness, most of my posts were pics of me eating though... :)

Seriously though- that 'new posts' button changed the way I read forums forever, about 6 years ago... Before that, I used to click each forum to see what was new. Not I'm in and out in under 20 minutes... :D

I would love the "new posts" button too if I could get the exclusions to work right in the options in CP. It seems to limit how many forums you can exclude (appears to be 78). When I highlight more to exclude and save it just stays the same. I've used the exclusions on other vbulletin sites with no problems, but maybe they didn't have as many forums.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "new post" button is pretty cool, I never used it before, however, I wish it had a drop down that only selected the forum you were interested in, such as the 2011.

That's what the exclusions option I mentioned above would do, if it worked right.

Back