MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks!

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
MFT 2.8 dare I say? ... Rocks! **UPDATE!!!**

So, I got MFT 2.8 installed today. Boy, what a difference! Here are some initial observations:

- The systems comes online almost immediately. No more waiting for the system to "boot up." You start the engine and within a few seconds (2 or 3) everything comes online including iPod (I have mine permanently connected). Nav takes 4 or 5 seconds to launch, phone takes about 7 seconds to connect.

- No more endless iPod synching and no more building media commands!

- VC is available almost immediately. I have tried it as soon as 20 seconds after starting the engine and it comes right on. Response is delayed by a few seconds (maybe 3 or 4) during the initial system launch, but once all systems are online, VC is there the second you press the voice button. No delay. Also, commands are recognized and executed immediately.

- I wouldn't dare to call MFT fast, but now it is definitely responsive. I press a button and aside from the silly animation, stuff happens. No more sitting around 4 and 5 seconds for results.

- Transitions seem a lot faster and smoother.

- Some of the buttons in the climate control screen seem slightly different. But, I can't tell for sure. What is for sure is how much more responsive the climate control screen is! I used to have to press "My Temp" two and three times for it to take. It would zoom out and zoom back in on its own. Everything in the climate control screen now reacts immediately and as expected when touched.

The guy that did install was very kind and invited me to observe the update! Here's what I learned:

- The update is fully controlled through live data transfer directly from Ford. In order to to the update, the tech's computer must be connected to the car's OBD system, to the internet via an unrestricted broadband connection, and to the car's MFT system via a mini USB port available behind the right side panel of the center console.

- The sequence goes like this:
- Wipe the existing MFT install
- Download the update file from the Ford Server into the diagnostic laptop
- Transfer the downloaded file onto a USB drive
- Connect the USB drive to MFT and perform the update
- Connect the USB drive back to the laptop for install confirmation transfer back to Ford
- Ford connects back to diagnostic laptop and OBD system to validate and activate the install
- Everything comes back to life!

Total update time was 35 minutes.

The tech said that wiping the existing MFT install and a clean broadband connection are critical to a successful update. Otherwise "you're asking for trouble" (his words).

Here are some pics I took:

mft28_01.jpg

The mini USB connector on the side panel. This, by the way, is normally connected to another cable that is coming from the back (dunno what is for). He disconnected it to access from there.

mft28_02.jpg

USB is connected and doing the update install

mft28_03.jpg

Diagnostic laptop on the driver's seat. See the Ethernet cord which is how the tech connects to the new Ford servers.

mft28_05.jpg

VMC box that connects the diagnostic laptop to the car's OBD system. See the cable connected.

mft28_06.jpg

Screen shot of the tech's computer after update was completed with zoom-in of the new version 2.8.

And there you have it. I can't predict the future so I don't know if all this is gonna crap out in a couple of weeks and MFT is gonna go back to its old shenanigans.

But, so far the difference is night and day!

Jose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad to hear that they've solved some of the nagging problems:chug:

That is a good sign... And thanks for posting all of the info and pics!

Sounds great! Thanks for the update. My Nav just dies on me (looks like the GPS signal has been lost) so hopefully they will do an update while it is in for service.

Might be time for me to update too. My MFT seems to have a longer sleep schedule than me. I get up and leave for work around 5:30 and usually drive to work (30 minutes) without any MFT display/radio/etc. Come out after work, fires right up.

Do beware though, someone has had an issue going to the dealer to update the MFT. They said you only get a one time free update up until December 2011. This should actually be considered bug fixes but... So beware. If you get this update, you might not be able to go get another one.

Just picked up my EX LTD late yesterday ,build date of 4/12 ,had 2.8installed already. Cant comment on how it was prior , but this is fast (more less) no real lag at all . Love the way MFT works and looks inside. Just SO MUCH to learn.

So this has to be done at a dealership and cannot be accomplished via syncmyride.com?

So this has to be done at a dealership and cannot be accomplished via syncmyride.com?

Correct!

All updates are free until Jan 31, 2012--that is FORD's stanse on this. It is not up to the dealers to decide if it's free and all dealers should have 2.8 by now.

Are you going from 2.4 to 2.8? To be honest my 2.7 sounds like it operates very much like your 2.8. I really wish Ford would release an update list. It's ridiculous not to know what fixes and/or feature updates each release has.

Are you going from 2.4 to 2.8? To be honest my 2.7 sounds like it operates very much like your 2.8. I really wish Ford would release an update list. It's ridiculous not to know what fixes and/or feature updates each release has.

Could not agree more! No major issues yet with 2.7. Given how quickly the updates have been coming out, I may just hold out until later this year...

I found something that I do not like at all. You can no longer just "scroll down" on the far left steering wheel control panel to alternate between trip, tach, settings, etc. You now have to arrow down, then arrow right to view them. Not a good feature.

*EDIT - I meant to say not a good feature, not upgrade*

I am not sure if you know this or not but were there any phone intergration fixes in the v2.8 release? (i.e. iPhone 4 Contact Pics, Album art, and Text to Voice issue)

no iPhone contact pics, not sure what you mean about album art, mine works ok, no text to voice (that's an Apple issue)

Album art seems to pick more consistently than V2.7 and I now notice there is more detail included for the Quick Dial dial numbers that we can store (shows cell or home). Depending on how many characters you use, only part of "home" or "cell" may show, but still a step in the right direction.

no iPhone contact pics, not sure what you mean about album art, mine works ok, no text to voice (that's an Apple issue)

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that the iPhone contact pics is an Apple issue as well...

DH

I found something that I do not like at all. You can no longer just "scroll down" on the far left steering wheel control panel to alternate between trip, tach, settings, etc. You now have to arrow down, then arrow right to view them. Not a good upgrade.

Did you switch the Menu Control from Standard (the default it would be on after a new install) to Memory On to re-enable this?
(settings-vehicle-menu control-memory on)

Picked up my '11 XLT 202A this morning. Build week was 4/25. I assume I have 2.8. But whatever it is, the screens are up and running in just a couple seconds. The phone hookup via BT is great. Great call quality.

One thing I did notice, and it may just be the way I set it up, is that when I plugged in my iPhone 3gs to the USB, once I started up the Ex, the music stopped, but the phone still worked. Have to work on that some more.

Thank you for this picture:

mft28_01.jpg

That explains how they scratched the **** out of my trim! I agree though, 2.8 is much much better. No problems yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Correct!

All updates are free until Jan 31, 2012--that is FORD's stanse on this. It is not up to the dealers to decide if it's free and all dealers should have 2.8 by now.

Unless you live in Canada and then none are free. This was confirmed by the head of Ford Canada Sales having a Customer service supervisor call me when I sent him a message asking about this.

Back