HELP!! Full Console with 1354m Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP!! Full Console with 1354m Swap

joker1457

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
:dunno: Im hoping someone can shed some light on this subject, maybe even pictures. I got a 1354m out of a 94 explorer, the linkage everything from the T-case up.

Here's the issue im running into, the tcase is in, the shifter, the front driveshaft you name it everthing went together real easy straight bolt up. I go to put my center console back in and its a no go. The shifter is almost directly under where the top of the console sits.

Did I miss something, do I have the wrong TCASE or shiftlinkage, do i have to modify the shifter to get it to the side more?

Little help her guys/gals Im stumped on what missed or need to do, The console is in a 98 Eddie, so it has the whole message center and such that needs to be reconnected.

Thanks everyone :wavey:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you do not have the Wrong linkage or Shifter that is where it comes out at in the 1st Gen Explorers

so you have to options to deal with the Shifter either gonna have to rework the shifter to get it moved over to come up on the side.

or if your not really hung up on having the Full length Console. You can always swap a Short Console from either a 1st Gen or 2nd Gen Explorer

Of Course if you have the Message Center in the Full length console you will lose that if you take option 2 there.

The computer isn't going to like the fact that it doesn't see the auto TC, people have done this swap but there is a lot more to it than just bolting it in. Search the forum for information on this swap.

The computer isn't going to like the fact that it doesn't see the auto TC, people have done this swap but there is a lot more to it than just bolting it in. Search the forum for information on this swap.

All it seams to be causing at the moment is the 4x4 light flashing, as far a shifting and what not is seams normal other then that im not noticing any other issues. Everything I've found is kinda misleading some say the tcase will go in no problem some say they swapped the GEM now Im lost :help:

so you have to options to deal with the Shifter either gonna have to rework the shifter to get it moved over to come up on the side.

By rework the shifter does this mean cutting and reshaping or is there a way to ajust it without tearing it apart? IE Cutting and welding at a different angle?

Sorry was thinking of the auto to manual trans swap, seems the only thing that happens is the 4x4 light flashing.

Sorry was thinking of the auto to manual trans swap, seems the only thing that happens is the 4x4 light flashing.

exactly, all it causes is flashing lights, no big deal, i removed mine from the cluster. i bent the shifter, modified the floor and cut into the console to keep it out of the way.

No worries, this is my first rodeo doing such a mod, so everyone's opinion matter's. Im very particular at making things look right, so Im here asking questions and hoping to share the experience once its all together and finished. :)

exactly, all it causes is flashing lights, no big deal, i removed mine from the cluster. i bent the shifter, modified the floor and cut into the console to keep it out of the way.

This may be a crazy question, but where did you bend it, the shifter I have is just under an inch thick, I could be imaging things though it was a long night :scratch:

Heat it with a torch and bend it.

Cut a notch about 1/3rd from the bottom, bend it, weld the notch closed.

Leave the shifter alone and mod the brackets.

You might be able to space out the 2 bracket bolts with washers and longer bolts to move the bracket away from the trans. This is a long shot at best, but might work.

It will need to come out the side of the trans tunnel and be to the left of the console, but don't go to far over or it will jab you in the leg.

Trial and error until your happy, thats what I did.

Or another way would be if you have the resources available is to cut the shifter and weld a crossmember to each piece of the shifter to bring it over

Or another way would be if you have the resources available is to cut the shifter and weld a crossmember to each piece of the shifter to bring it over

I think this is going to be the most sane approach, i plan on taking pictures of what i come up with, starting on it again after work, good new is it drives and goes through all modes on the tcase, I just miss my console ;)

I think this is going to be the most sane approach, i plan on taking pictures of what i come up with, starting on it again after work, good new is it drives and goes through all modes on the tcase, I just miss my console ;)

Yeah, I just did this swap last week and is nice, I just decided to go back to the shorty console. But that thought had crossed my mind if wanting to keep the full length console.

Yeah, I just did this swap last week and is nice, I just decided to go back to the shorty console. But that thought had crossed my mind if wanting to keep the full length console.

I've gotten very spoiled with all the message center info in mine, plus I have a lot of switches, my cb, and such in the console as well.......and I miss my armrest

I've gotten very spoiled with all the message center info in mine, plus I have a lot of switches, my cb, and such in the console as well.......and I miss my armrest

Yeah...I have reconfigure some stuff....

Well this mod is complete....Just having issues getting the photo's off the phone. I ended up doglegging the shifter, and angled the top of the shifter about 20* I did have to do some extra cuts but salvaged my leg room and only had to cut a 2'' by 4'' half circle from the console.

Anyways for others that have done this swap whats the best ATF to run in the tcase and did anyone notice a power loss after the swap?

I just used mercon in mine, I don't know the correct fluid, its not like a transmission where as it depends on the right fluid to shift, this basically provides lubrication to the seals I "think" lol. And no power loss here. You feel power loss after wards? Is the case correctly engaged in gear?

You feel power loss after wards? Is the case correctly engaged in gear?

It shift into 4high and 4low no issues, but that said Ive only messed with it on pavement, It just seems underpowered :dunno: maybe im just loosing my mind, Im doing a tune up this weekend and hoping thats the issue.

Im also going to change the fluid again now that ive ran it for a few days, see if it frees it up a bit.....I'm a little concerned that it only took one quart :scratch:

Yea....I believe it calls for 1.5qts and think that's what I put in mine....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea....I believe it calls for 1.5qts and think that's what I put in mine....

Whew!!! That makes me feel alot better :), i'll get pictures up here soon.

Back