• Register Today It's free!

Oil Capacity / V8 Explorer

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
Just had a quick question regarding my 2003 4.6L V8 Explorer. On my last oil change, it was noted in the receipt that 6 quarts of oil were needed for the oil change. This has happened the last 2 times. Is that correct? I always thought 5 quarts were enough.

Just wanna make sure since they charge me for that one extra quart of oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

always 6 quarts for me. same motor

The 4.0 is 5 qts, the 4.6 is 6 qts.

MY 02 4.6 takes 6.5 -7 quarts with a new oil filter.

Definitely 6qts. Newer vehicles have higher oil capacities so that you don't have to change it quite so often, 6qts is why the change interval is 5k mi instead of 3k mi. The 4.0L however is a different (and and more pathetic, IMO) story.

I think I heard that the new Mustang 5.0s take something rediculous like 8qts...

Definitely 6qts. Newer vehicles have higher oil capacities so that you don't have to change it quite so often, 6qts is why the change interval is 5k mi instead of 3k mi. The 4.0L however is a different (and and more pathetic, IMO) story.

This statement is 100% wrong! Doesn't matter if its 1 quart or 100. What does matter is what type of oil you use. If you stick with motorcraft oil then you are good for 5k or 5 months. If you are a cheap ass and go to the local place that gives them away for $13.95 you BETTER make sure that you do not go past 3k or 3 months! Bulk oil is very cheap and has almost no detergents.

And BTW the 4.6 takes 6.4 quarts.

This statement is 100% wrong! Doesn't matter if its 1 quart or 100. What does matter is what type of oil you use. If you stick with motorcraft oil then you are good for 5k or 5 months. If you are a cheap ass and go to the local place that gives them away for $13.95 you BETTER make sure that you do not go past 3k or 3 months! Bulk oil is very cheap and has almost no detergents.

And BTW the 4.6 takes 6.4 quarts.

LOL. You have no idea what you are talking about. Please do some research before you post. Just because you've done it the same uneducated way for your whole life doesn't mean you're right for the right reasons.

my 04 v8 takes about 6 1/2 qts. I run only motorcraft oil in it.

just to clarify, I just changed it last weekend. I bought the 5qt 5-20w motorcraft jug and one extra 1qt bottle and a Motorcraft filter. 6qt brings it to the half-way mark on the dip-stick which to me is Full but not 'topped off'. . to get to the top mark an extra .4-.5qts would do it. I just keep it on the halfway between the mark, which means i don't have a half quart sitting in the garage which invariably i forget when i buy oil for the next change.

just to clarify, I just changed it last weekend. I bought the 5qt 5-20w motorcraft jug and one extra 1qt bottle and a Motorcraft filter. 6qt brings it to the half-way mark on the dip-stick which to me is Full but not 'topped off'. . to get to the top mark an extra .4-.5qts would do it. I just keep it on the halfway between the mark, which means i don't have a half quart sitting in the garage which invariably i forget when i buy oil for the next change.

Agreed. Dribbling and remeasuring to get to a max fill is a waste of time. Pour in 6qts with a new filter on, measure, and it will be somewhere in the middle of the min/max range. If you add more to bring it up to about max then more power to you! It won't change a thing if you don't.

LOL. You have no idea what you are talking about. Please do some research before you post. Just because you've done it the same uneducated way for your whole life doesn't mean you're right for the right reasons.

I have a better idea, how about you post your facts.

"recommended" oil change intervals are not determined by capacity. There is no difference between a Focus and a F150 for interval. One takes 4 quarts, one takes 7. Your statement is by far the most wrong and absurd thing I have seen on forums like this in many years!

Just some FYI I have been professionally fixing cars for over 20 years and am master certified in my state (not that that means anything on forums like this because everyone knows everything).

I have a better idea, how about you post your facts.

"recommended" oil change intervals are not determined by capacity. There is no difference between a Focus and a F150 for interval. One takes 4 quarts, one takes 7. Your statement is by far the most wrong and absurd thing I have seen on forums like this in many years!

Just some FYI I have been professionally fixing cars for over 20 years and am master certified in my state (not that that means anything on forums like this because everyone knows everything).

Don't be so nieve. No offense intended, but no technician knows a thing about engineering a vehicle! Nor are they required to. I hate derailing a thread, but I will happily.

Every time oil is squeezed through a bearing or smashed against a cylinder wall, molecular sheering occurs. Eventually the oil will lose viscosity from excessive wear on the oil itself! It will also get dirty, burned up, etc. A higher capacity means that there is a smaller ratio of sheered particles vs. fresh ones. How long would an f150 safely run if 4qts were made to fill the pan properly? What about a 2.3L focus with 7qts? A three valve V8 has dozens more parts and contact points than the 2V I-4, so it needs a high capacity so it CAN last just as long! Why do race motors have deep oil pans and high capacity? Beacuse they beat the **** out of their oil.

Quality oils hold up better over time (e.g. Ammsoil on a 15k mile change interval, sound familiar?) and have better engine wear qualities due to better film strength, etc. The only true way to deterimine if oil is still safe to run is with a used oil analysis (UOA). Surely OEM change intervals as well as OEM oil formulas are calculated as a conservative and safe ball park. Look at Euro brands like Merc and BMW that spec for long change intervals, like 15k. They spec top-quality oil AND have high capacity. BMW 335i: 6cyl 3.0L, 7qt capacity, 15k mile change interval. WEIRD.

Obvious other examples: 2011 Mustang, V6 3.7L and 6qts, V8 5.0L and 8qts.... both have 10k mile intervals. STRANGE.

Congrats, You know how to use a search engine!

Internet know-it-all's :rolleyes:

Congrats, You know how to use a search engine!

Internet know-it-all's :rolleyes:

Congrats, You sound like a know-it-all mechanic! Do us a favor and write a how-to thread on fixing something or turning a wrench. Leave the higher understanding to the engineers.

Congrats, You sound like a know-it-all mechanic! Do us a favor and write a how-to thread on fixing something or turning a wrench. Leave the higher understanding to the engineers.

10 years ago this would have bothered me, but now it makes me lol (been on forums like this a while) :bsnicker:

:mattmoon:

If "you" engineers knew what you were doing there would be no need for us "know-it-all" mechanics.

Anyway I have no respect for you or your opinions for anything on the internet. That's a huge thing! :D No offense. Just saying.

10 years ago this would have bothered me, but now it makes me lol (been on forums like this a while) :bsnicker:

:mattmoon:

If "you" engineers knew what you were doing there would be no need for us "know-it-all" mechanics.

Anyway I have no respect for you or your opinions for anything on the internet. That's a huge thing! :D No offense. Just saying.

Agreed haha, I don't get angry about this kind of arguing. I just try and show and/or explain my remarks so people aren't steered the wrong way, should they actually read through the thread. Automatically stating something as fact that clearly is false is what pollutes the internet! It's still funny to me how you compared oil capacity and change interval for a 8V 4cyl versus a 24V V8... apples ≠ oranges

If stuff built didn't wear out and/or break, mechanics would be out of a job :p:

Maybe you're both right. Capacity increase reduces shearing/oil wear, but so does type of oil. So it does matter if it's 1qt or 100qts, and it also does matter if it's bulk cheap oil or specialized synthetic. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??? :p

Maybe you're both right. Capacity increase reduces shearing/oil wear, but so does type of oil. So it does matter if it's 1qt or 100qts, and it also does matter if it's bulk cheap oil or specialized synthetic. CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??? :p

What are you searching that you are bumping old oil threads?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you searching that you are bumping old oil threads?

Synthetic oil. Sorry if my old thread bumps are annoying. I'll tone it down.

Back