Bulb size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bulb size

Shoe_Here

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
What is the bulb size of headlights and foglights? I get my Explorer on Tuesday so can't check manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the bulb size of headlights and foglights? I get my Explorer on Tuesday so can't check manual.

Headlights: 9005(HB3)
Fogs: H11

are the 9005 a hi/low beam bulb or is the 9005 just for low beam. If so, what is the high beam bulb?

one bulb, both high/low beam

Yeah, it's a projector headlight, so there's a metal piece that comes down & blocks part of the light for the low beam. When you hit the high beams, it moves out of the way, allowing all the light to shine through.

You did not mention which model you have. The Limited comes with HID bulbs which I assume have different part numbers than the regular bulbs.

I have a limited and I did not get the HID lights. But I can say this, the lights are ok at nite, but not great. I would like it if they where about 25% brighter. I also know there are a number of bulbs to replace them, but I am not willing to damage the housing because of high heat or burned out bulbs every year or so. If anyone has an answer to this it would help.

I am ordering new PIAA bulbs to replace stocks as I hate the dull yellow stock bulbs. I always buy wiring harnesses for aftermarket bulbs to help with your concern of aftermarket bulbs producing more heat. These harnesses can withstand much higher temps. Harnesses cost about 12 bucks for a pair on ebay.

As for the HID's. Those are not standard on Limited. Quite a hefty upgrade. Wish I had the money for those but you can get them from Ford later on so perhaps I will save up.

I am ordering new PIAA bulbs to replace stocks as I hate the dull yellow stock bulbs. I always buy wiring harnesses for aftermarket bulbs to help with your concern of aftermarket bulbs producing more heat. These harnesses can withstand much higher temps. Harnesses cost about 12 bucks for a pair on ebay.

As for the HID's. Those are not standard on Limited. Quite a hefty upgrade. Wish I had the money for those but you can get them from Ford later on so perhaps I will save up.
I guess the HID's must have been part of my Technology Package. Ran PIAA's in my '02 and '06 Highlanders without any problems using the OEM wiring. On my '09 I am using the Philips X-treme Power bulbs with the OEM wiring. I will likely also replace the HID's with upgraded ones. I'll see how they perform first.

So is it 9005 or HD13 or 9008?

Headlights: 9005(HB3)
Fogs: H11

Just installed new bulbs for both headlights and fogs tonight. I hate stock dingy yellow bulbs.
I put in 8000K for headlights and 2500K yellow bulbs for fogs. I know the pics suck. Doesn't do justice. So much whiter and brighter than OEM.
As far as installation. Was tricky. The headlights are really akward and luckily I have little hands. Fogs same. I barely fit under the car and had to go under from the front and center cause of the low hanging plastic. Had to unscrew 1 screw on each side to move plastic covering area where fog is. Once the screw is out, the fogs install is easier than headlamps. I could change all 4 bulbs in my Dodge Nitro in like 10 min. This took me over an hour. Bulbs better last.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/shoe_here/DSC_0118.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/shoe_here/DSC_0119.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/shoe_here/DSC_0120.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/shoe_here/DSC_0121.jpg

I guess the HID's must have been part of my Technology Package. Ran PIAA's in my '02 and '06 Highlanders without any problems using the OEM wiring. On my '09 I am using the Philips X-treme Power bulbs with the OEM wiring. I will likely also replace the HID's with upgraded ones. I'll see how they perform first.

Hid's are standard on all ltd's in Canada.

I got aftermarket HID for both Headlights and Fogs. Good HID wont damage the housing and improves the visibility a lot! I got it really cheap, like about 140 bucks and looks really nice.

** Watch out for HID fog lights. They can be annoying for oncoming traffic. I did it cuz they are not regulated in my country.

Did you have to use a different wiring for the hids? I read due to heat you may need a diff wiring harness.

The PIAA website says their bulbs are slightly longer than stock. Let us know if there is any problem with fit. I had looked into buying those same bulbs when I have a car.

Did you have to use a different wiring for the hids? I read due to heat you may need a diff wiring harness.

No, because my HID system consumes the same ammont of current (amps) as the normal bulb.

Most Hids are are 35w as opposed to the 9005 i believe being 65w. Initial firing of the Hid's go up a little I dont remember the spec off hand. But the hids will draw less current...

The 9005 bulb is actually used as the high beam in most 4 bulb systems.

Back