• Register Today It's free!

How long for a VIN?

snoopy2003

Reaction score
City, State
Eunice, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 (ordered 4/7)
I ordered my X on 4/6 and got my DORA and all. Just wondering how long it took everyone to get a VIN. I see people that got it in a week WTF. It is going on 5 weeks and not even a VIN. I have been in contact with Seni and she is great checks every week for me as of now she said it is labeled as awaiting VIN. Hopefully this week i get it and it starts moving faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There really is no standard answer except that it depends on your dealers allocation.

Many dealers will play dumb when it comes to telling you their available allocation.

Hope you get it soon as I was in your same position. Took me 22 days to receive a VIN but I'm still waiting on a window sticker which some people who have received their VIN after me received their window sticker already.

There is just no figuring it out!

Orders 3/30
VIN 4/21
Build date 5/14
ETA ?

I ordered my X on 4/6 and got my DORA and all. Just wondering how long it took everyone to get a VIN. I see people that got it in a week WTF.

Took me 6 weeks to get a VIN. Another 2 weeks to get a window sticker.

Ours was ordered on Monday April 25th and we had the VIN in a week and the window sticker a week later. Must be catching up. Dennis

I'm 6 weeks 4 days and counting. Still no vin

it took 7 weeks to the day for me :(

Ordered 4/22

VIN 4/29

Build 5/16

Told to expect 5-6 weeks total.

Wow it is amazing how some VINs take forever and other a week or two! Ford has the most screwed up ordering system i have ever heard of! Seems like they would just go in order, I know nothing about allocation and priority and i know that has something to do with it but come on now Ford! I have a priority of 10 but i do not know the allocation or whatever that is.Hopefully it starts moving because i need my X in June and would really hate to have to purchase a different vehicle.

I know nothing about allocation and priority and i know that has something to do with it

I think allocations have everything to do with it. We purposely drove 4 hours to one of the highest volume Ford dealers in Virginia (Beach Ford, Virginia Beach) and ordered from them.

snoopy2003, drober30, & Dchemist, continue checking in through private messages to see what the current order status is! Hopefully it helps with the wait!

And if you haven’t already done so, send me a private message with your VIN or dealer name/dealer code & order number if you would like your order status researched as well!

Cory

It took four weeks for my vin. When I got it from Seni I sent my dealer an email asking if he has received a vin yet and he replied "nothing yet, I will let you know when I hear something". I waited a few days and sent him the Vin and added that I would let him know when I get a build date!!

It took four weeks for my vin. When I got it from Seni I sent my dealer an email asking if he has received a vin yet and he replied "nothing yet, I will let you know when I hear something". I waited a few days and sent him the Vin and added that I would let him know when I get a build date!!
I bet it feels good to be kept in the loop! I can imagine how difficult it would be to wait for your Explorer without knowing the current status. I’m glad we’re here to make the wait a bit easier, so drop us a line whenever you’d like!

Cory

Ordered April 4th.....and no VIN yet.....ugh.

UPDATE: Got my VIN on Friday. Woo Hoo!

Ordered April 4th.....and no VIN yet.....ugh.

This is a strange process...

In our case, we ordered an XLT (with the 202a, tow and power lift gate) on March 25th. I had the VIN in a week and the build week a week later. The car is built and in transit. The ETA from Cory is about May 25th. I hope to pick it up on May 28th....

Why it varies so much is quite a mystery.

5/20 Car is at the dealer (Romano Ford).

I ordered on April 8th, and just got my VIN # today.

I ordered on 5/16 and got my VIN today. Still no window sticker available (must be too early)

Ordered 4/7 and still waiting...

My sales guy is sneaky....called at 10AM and said it was in...picking up Monday afternoon

I ordered my X on 4/6 and got my DORA and all. Just wondering how long it took everyone to get a VIN. I see people that got it in a week WTF. It is going on 5 weeks and not even a VIN. I have been in contact with Seni and she is great checks every week for me as of now she said it is labeled as awaiting VIN. Hopefully this week i get it and it starts moving faster.

Alright! finally got my answer. Dealer called me friday with my vin. Finally hit a turning point hopefully the rest of the process goes faster now that dealer allocation stuff is over or at least im assuming it is.

Okay, I got my VIN #, and tried using these websites with no avail on the computer. services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin= & http://fordlabels.webview.boz/webvie...cker.aspx?vin=. The first site, I can get a window sticker using my iPhone, but cannot do this on the computer. Also, it's not my real window sticker as the color and options are wrong. It does have my VIN # on this window sticker. Called my dealer, and she said it's more than likely just a generic sticker, as on my order itself, it does state Golden Bronze, but on the window sticker that popped up, it shows Tuxedo Black. Has anyone else had this probem, or is this what it should be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back