• Register Today It's free!

GPS Dropping Out

dinom

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Was driving on a major highway yesterday and it was extremely cloudy and a bit foggy. Several times the GPS lost track of the satellite and showed the words GPS with an X through it on the touch screen. At that point the car icon was several hundred feet off the road on the navigation map, and it reported "unknown road" or something like that. It was doing this off and on.

I've had several cars in the past with GPS navigation, and don't remember it being so sensitive to the weather conditions. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dino

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was driving on a major highway yesterday and it was extremely cloudy and a bit foggy. Several times the GPS lost track of the satellite and showed the words GPS with an X through it on the touch screen. At that point the car icon was several hundred feet off the road on the navigation map, and it reported "unknown road" or something like that. It was doing this off and on.

I've had several cars in the past with GPS navigation, and don't remember it being so sensitive to the weather conditions. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dino
Hi Dino and welcome to the Forum :wavey:
I have noticed the X on top of the GPS indicator a few times as well. Unfortunately I cannot recall if the Nav system was off as well. I have had it 'off course' a couple of times but didn't think to check the GPS icon. The Nav system rebooted and all was well again. I don't believe weather was an issue at the time. If it happens again, I'll be sure to check more closely for the indications you mentioned.

Peter

I have no idea if it's normal, but it was rainy and foggy in Chicago Friday night and GPS freaked out when I was in the city and had me driving off in Lake Michigan. I couldn't get it to re-set. Finally, on it's own, the whole system shut down and the screen was blank. I'm glad I knew where I was going or I would've been ticked... I was just trying out the system to see how it would take me.

I really like my Ex, but I'm not impressed with MFT at all.

I have no idea if it's normal, but it was rainy and foggy in Chicago Friday night and GPS freaked out when I was in the city and had me driving off in Lake Michigan. I really like my Ex, but I'm not impressed with MFT at all.
Might be a good idea to keep a life jacket or two on board.:D
I can't say for sure that I've noticed my Nav acting up under weather conditions I have encountered to date. I wouldn't be surprised though to see a loss of signal perhaps in a heavy down pour. That is one problem I also had when I has satellite TV. We are afterall dealing with a satellite signal which can be influenced by certain condtions.

I've had GPS now for about 11 years in my cars, and it is pretty normal for mine to lose connectivity with the sat. for short periods when it is very cloudy, rainy or blocked from seeing the southern sky.

The nav in the Ex does seem a bit more sensative then my Japanese nav systems, but not serious enough for me to be concerned, yet.

I have used the GPS in all kinds of weather. Even used it in a really bad snow storms and a bad rain storm. Never had a problem with it. Once it showed me driving off the road by about 5m or (15 feet), lasted for about 10min and then when I took a turn I was back on road. I don't think this is a MFT OS problem but a GPS provider problem.
Cheers

Back