Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

had mine fixed last week, the parts only took about 4 days to come in so I don't think they are back-ordered

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyoe else confirm the fix on Page 8 worked. I've gotten that great buzzing sound, but only on the highway during windy days. Thanks again for whoever posted the Youtube video. That will definitely help to show what happens.

Can anyoe else confirm the fix on Page 8 worked. I've gotten that great buzzing sound, but only on the highway during windy days. Thanks again for whoever posted the Youtube video. That will definitely help to show what happens.

Mine is only temp. fixed. I am waiting to see if and when they find a permenant fix. I also hear the rattle on the highway during windy days but in IL along 57 that happens to be the normal conditions and I drive it at least 3x a week so I want it fixed right. Glad you like my youtube, I didnt know how else to explaine what I was hearing. Good luck;)

Good news - The new gaskets went in Friday. Had a good cross wind yesterday but could barely get over 70mph due to traffic. No rattles.
Bad news - the tech marred the paint on both doors prying the applique off. Did not notice until I got home. I will call the service manager today.

Can anyone with a late build date and late delivery confirm if the issues are fixed at the factory now? (e.g. if yours was built after May 1st, are the parts used in the newer assembly the updated parts)

Thanks.

Does anyone have knowledge of the Offical Ford Fix for this problem. I've only had it happen 3 times the first month. Went into the dealer today and he could find nothing at the Ford site concerning the problem or the fix. Left him with the paper that identifes the parts required and he said he would research it. If Ford has a TSB or other number to identify the problem and official actions, I am sure it would help.

Does anyone have knowledge of the Offical Ford Fix for this problem. I've only had it happen 3 times the first month. Went into the dealer today and he could find nothing at the Ford site concerning the problem or the fix. Left him with the paper that identifes the parts required and he said he would research it. If Ford has a TSB or other number to identify the problem and official actions, I am sure it would help.

There is an old TSB on this. See page 7 post 140. Somewhere earlier in this thread is a later dated update referring back to this TSB.
Played the video for my dealer and gave him the part numbers for the gaskets
and he said he has to follow the TSB but will ask ford rep about it.

FOUND IT...

702000 - NVH OTHER NOISE CONCERNS

SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGES
21760 2011 EXPLORER NOISE FROM THE A-PILLAR MOLDINGS
MESSAGE TEXT DISPLAYED UNDER A PRIOR CODE
EFFECTIVE DATE: 03/01/2011

Picked my explorer last night and heard the buzzing noise today. The dealer owes me a sync update so I guess they can fix the noise as well.

Good news - The new gaskets went in Friday. Had a good cross wind yesterday but could barely get over 70mph due to traffic. No rattles.
Bad news - the tech marred the paint on both doors prying the applique off. Did not notice until I got home. I will call the service manager today.

It looks like the tech used the door as a fulcrum to pry off the applique. The black on the top of the door is a decal, not black paint. They have ordered replacements. Service manager did notice a wrinkled area by the mirror as well. Probably from the factory.

First Ford

My 2011 Explorer has a horrible wind noise on both sides of the front windshield. it sounds like bees buzzing. It only happens at freeway speeds. ( I will be taking it back to the dealer for that) Other than that the car rides great. Still trying to figure out the sync. . .as the dealer was usless with any electronics help.

Sounds more like the rubber on the window seal. It starts at about. 55mph

Sounds more like the rubber on the window seal. It starts at about. 55mph

Here is my A pillar story of success and happiness forever:

My Pillar Experiences
First, you might ask what an A-pillar is. It is the A-shaped column that frames the windshield on the left and right sides.
I first experienced rattling in both of my A-pillars when driving south bound on I-25 last month. I was at 70 mph with a crosswind that was at about 45 mph. I-25 does not head due south for the entire trip from Denver to Albuquerque. So, on some compass headings the rattle would arise. On other compass headings the rattle could not be heard. It was not loud but it was noticeable.
What did I do about it? I drove my Explorer into my dealer Don Chalmer’s Ford. They looked at the gasket that lies between the A pillars and the windshield. They told me that the fix would be to order new gaskets. And they told me that the original ones were light and flexible enough to allow air to flow under the A-pillar applique which would then create a rattle. My dealer had dealt with this before a few years ago in a Ford sedan.
Both of my A pillars were fixed 4/11. Don Chalmer’s Ford, Rio Rancho New Mexico used the following parts: SPO BB5Z 7803137 AA, SPO BB5Z 7803137 BA, SPO BB5Z 7803136 AA, and SPO BB5Z 7803136 BA, all listed as moulding windshield. The original vertical gaskets that run along the A pillars were noticeably thinner and easily lifted off the windshield. The new ones are noticeably thicker and more substantial. The install job is perfect. On 4/11 I got it up to 65 mph with a 15 mph crosswind. No noise at all.
A-pillar noise is totally gone now. In Albuquerque we have the intersection of I-40 and I-25 so I had good testing grounds. On 4/14 I drove North ten miles up to 80 mph, South ten miles up to 90 mph, then West five miles at 65mph, and finally East eight miles at 70 mph. All in wind gusts to 65mph. The A-pillars are now royally quiet. The repair worked beautifully. Thank you Don Chalmers Ford. I believe that this should be the standard Ford repair.

Hi guys,

I’m sorry for the small backup with the messages but I will continue to work to reply to everyone’s PM as soon as possible. I really appreciate your patience. Please also keep in mind that if you have experienced this concern, and haven’t done so already, please send me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name. Thank you.

Cory

I have the problem as well. I have had it since new. Finally got around to calling the dealer and got the same, "we have to hear it before we can fix it" routine. I told them good luck because the problem is intermittent.
Cory, thanks for being here in support of your product. I love my new explorer and if this gets fixed I will have no complaints. I will pm you the required info when I can get to my explorer. Thanks.

Show the dealer the video that was posted earlier in this thread. My dealer said "will have to hear it" and I said OK and proceded to play it for him!

I have the problem as well. I have had it since new. Finally got around to calling the dealer and got the same, "we have to hear it before we can fix it" routine. I told them good luck because the problem is intermittent.
Cory, thanks for being here in support of your product. I love my new explorer and if this gets fixed I will have no complaints. I will pm you the required info when I can get to my explorer. Thanks.
You’re welcome! I will do my best to assist you to get the issue resolved. I’ll reply to your message when you send your information.

Cory

I have had my X for almost a month and noticed a slight vibe during work days but light... But Just took a 400 mile trip and I have the noise coming from the pillar at speeds above 60-70 mph and was very noticeable. Vehicle build is 4/7. Pm sent to Cory.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back