i found a rear locker that id like to get, but i need some help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

i found a rear locker that id like to get, but i need some help

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey all, the last major piece to my ST that i would like to get set up this summer is a rear differential locker. i have been doing a lot of reading about them and the main complaint is the noises they make and the sometimes shattering of gears (sounds like a nightmare). ive looked at aussie and detroit lockers, but i think i would like to go with powertrax lockers. since i am not very familiar with differential knowledge and have never installed a locker before, here are my questions for all of you wrench wizards out there:

what i do know about the rear diff on my 03 ST is that it is an open differential with a 3.73 ratio. will this rear locker work on my rig?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...2&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=6748&t_pn=PTX1810-LR

powertrax says that this lock is street friendly and wont give you the herky jerk clanging and noises of other lockers. is this claim accurate?

i am moderately mechanically inclined, i can change a blown head gasket, change brake components, switch out alternators, redo belts and pulleys but i dont have the skills to build an engine from scratch if that makes sense. the powertrax locker says that you dont need any special tools, and you dont need to rebuild anything. i have never installed one of these before and i have a certified mechanic friend who would do it for me on the cheap, but it's something i would like to learn. is this something that i could learn to do without destroying my truck or killing myself in it later on? any help with any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again, this forum rules

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a locker for the Ford 8.8 31 spline

thanks, how hard of an install is it? id like to learn how to do it, but im not too proud to get a pro to do it if it calls for it.

That's not the right part, you need it for a a ford 8.8 not a 9. It is not hard to install the locker. From the details about your mechanical skills, it should be no problem. Yes, the locker will make clacking sounds when you make turns and you will mostly want to coast through them, otherwise you will have some tire chirping. Every so often you may here a clang sound while driving, I know I do but my truck is a manual shift, so it maybe a little different for you if you are automatic. There are some videos on youtube that maybe helpful.

yup, i pasted a link to the wrong one, this is the right one:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetra...2&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pl=6748&t_pn=PTX1822-LR

i pretty handy and ive got a solid tool collection, but is there anything out of the ordinary that i would need to get or borrow in terms of tools? what kind of locker do you run cluster? from the powertrax website, they are emphatic about how there lockers dont make noise. my ST is an automatic btw. thanks for the info.

I have an Aussie in mine, and beat on it relentlessly.

It works great, haven't heard it ever (thought probably due to tirn hum), and i had it installed in under two hours.

I have no experience with the powertrax, just thought i'd share some real world experience on the Aussie.

I run an aussie. The power trax is almost identical to the aussie, I dont know how they can claim it makes no noise. Look toward the end of this video to hear the sound it makes. Even with oil and the diff closed you can still hear that when you have your windows open when making a tight slow turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKnGRNzigA&feature=related

No special tools needed. Jack and stands, rachet and a couple of sockets, flat head screw driver, drain pan, single side razor blade. You will need thread lock, RTV sealant and assembly lube.

Dora the Explora, thats funny. Mine is my Tonka Truck.

04-07-10_0901.jpg

nice tonka! i had one just like it when i was 7! thanks for the link and the info fellas, now im torn between an aussie and the powertrax. everyone on this forum seems to run aussies and i havent seen too many people complain about them. im going to have to do more research while im pretending to be at work!

i like my Aussie so much i will get a new one for my daily driver,

that has to tell you something, i daily drive on an Aussie, and i did with 35 inch tires, with absolutely no issues,,

imo i'd recommend buying from a website. I've noticed they mark up their prices quite often; unless the item is on sale. You can always find things cheaper on the web then from a specialty store.

I have a powertrax in the rear of mine and an aussie up front. Both are quiet on mine, I do get the chirping of the tires if I give it too much on the gas, but I never hear anything coming from it from just walking along or backing up.

Yes, thats the one I have in my truck.

Back