Super_Swamper_98's 4x4 conversion sas | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Super_Swamper_98's 4x4 conversion sas

Well it's about time for a very well due swap and conversion im tired of driving around a poser truck 2wd with 35's.

Here is the parts list

77 f150 HP wull width d44
89 f150 full width 8.8
Yukon 5.13's
Yukon chromoly d44 axles when stock ones grenade
Reid racing flat top knuckles
Ballistic fab high steer kit with studs
Ballistic fab various brackets
Ballistic fab forged chromoly joint x2
Ballistic fab forged poly bushing x2
Longfield u joints
Spicer hd ball joints
Warn premium hubs
Bilstein 7100 resi shocks
Solid axle IND d44 & 8.8 diff covers
Some kind of lift coils and buckets
BW 1356
Oem front and rear driveshafts
4x4 tranny tail housing and output shaft
Etc etc etc

here it sits now some would stop there!
IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

And first off tryin to cut off the wedges its a PITA and prepin the axle
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

The axle is a full width d44 hp from a 77 f150 more to come soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good, love the look of it, what size tires are you going to run, sticking with 35´s or going bigger.

The Ex looks nice the way it sits, nice to see you making it trail worthy now :thumbsup:

Looks good! Did you build the truck to fit the carport or the carport to fit the truck? ;)

Or are you just that lucky?

Thanks yea I will be goin with a 37' tall Tire hopefully it will be trail worthy we shall see it barley fits I. Guess I'm just that lucky.

if your selling your lift spindles i would deff. be interested

Well i finally got the wedges off just have to take a flap wheel to it to clean it up a little bit. Thinking about having the housing hot tanked but idk pressure washer and purple power might work too???
IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

I went Saturday to the local u pull it and got a 92 EB ex power steering box and lines. I still need to get BW 1356 and linkages, front and rear driveshafts and 4x4 tail housing for my tranny and im shure plenty of other little parts
IMG_0289.jpg

The stuff for my rear diff came Friday too! 4.56 gears, solid diff cover and all the bearings and axle seals. I went to my buddy's house Friday and he does a little bit of amutaur powder coating lol, I dropped off my diff cover with him and just picked it up this morning.There is a couple spots where the black got rubbed off the green before the black was baked on but it will get chipped off on the trail anyway, and it was free so im not complaining.

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

Can u tell a little theme im going with neon green and black powder coat he is going to do my springs green and as well as my front maching d44 cover also my reid racing knuckles green when i get im in a few weeks. This week i might start cutting off all the factory IFS brackets but I need some encouragement no turning back after that point LOL!

Words of Encouragement:

After the first cut the rest are easy :D

Now get to cuttin' :p:

Words of Encouragement:

After the first cut the rest are easy :D

Now get to cuttin' :p:

Yea the first one is hard that's why I'm starting with the crossmember:D

Looks like fun! :D

For what it's worth, i think you're gonna hate 4:56's and 37's. Im 4:88's and 37's and wish i had 5:13's.

Looks like fun! :D

For what it's worth, i think you're gonna hate 4:56's and 37's. Im 4:88's and 37's and wish i had 5:13's.

Yea I dident plan on runnin 37s just 35s I have had plenty of people tell me 4.56 r sluggish with 37s but Im thinkin about sending em back for 5.13's I'm not to worried bout gas mileage. That's the price u pay for rollin big meats lol:D

Proly not going to get nothing done this weekend have to work sat sun. Sent back my 4.56's for 5.13's today tho. Still tryin to figure out drag link chevy tre's or heims idk let me hear some personal experinces

Well i thought I was going to have to work this weekend but that changed real fast:D I spent Saturday and half of today taking off the IFS and Cuting off all the brackets and grinding it all down real pretty gettin it prepped. And stripped down the axle it will be set up hope fully by the end of the week when my 5.13's come in prolly Wendsday.

And the progress of this weekend.

The last time it will look like that.
IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

2WD crap Minus the lift spindles
IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

Nice and pretty:D
IMG_0305.jpg

I also found out that my wheels are not going to work with my hubs too narrow, when I order wheels how do I know what will work is it called (hub centric)? Or some thing else, so my old ones are for sale I shoulden't say old because the tires have a little over 5500 miles on them no uneven wear at all. I want 800 for the set they are 35x12.50r15 BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2's mounted on Ion Alloy 133's

IMG_0307.jpg

Your old wheels should be a 5 on 4.5, the Dana 44 you have is 5 on 5.5. Two totally different bolt patterns. Are you planning a rear axle swap? Or adapters?

subscribing...looks good thus far.

btw...nice snap-on torque wrench in pic 3

subscribing...looks good thus far.:rangertan:

btw...nice snap-on torque wrench in pic 3
Yea thanks man that thing is sweet it doesent click it vibrates and beeps

Your old wheels should be a 5 on 4.5, the Dana 44 you have is 5 on 5.5. Two totally different bolt patterns. Are you planning a rear axle swap? Or adapters?

Yep planing on full width 8.8 to mach the front width I knew about the bolt pattern but what I ment was the Selectable hub won't fit in the center hole of my wheels does the bolt pattern have anything to do with that

I dont know if the bolt pattern has anything to do with the hub size, but I think all the center holes on 5 on 5.5 wheels are bigger than the 5 on 4.5 wheels. I have also ordered several sets of wheels and have never been asked what size is the hub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking sweet!! Will be good to see it at SMORR next time :)

Back