For Sale - Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Upper control arms... Extended WITH UNIBALL

Question for you since you know about alignments, when factory specs say something like "LH Camber -0.5 +/- 0.8" then I am taking that to mean that anywhere between -1.3 to +1.3 is within spec. So I guess -0.5 is ideal but anything within the range is good enough? Or is there something wrong with how I am reading/interpreting that?

I will get the actual numbers off the sheet but off the top of my head I believe camber was like +1.1 on both sides so they left it alone. Caster was also within what I believe is the right range so same thing. Toe was out of range (if I understand the range correctly) so they did fix that.

When you run the math on those numbers it gives you a range of -1.3 to +0.3. So if you were at +1.1 you are +0.8 out of spec.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Obviously my memory isn't serving me really well lately. 04 EDGE you are right it wasn't a positive camber number, it was negative. To avoid further confusion, here's a scanned copy of the sheet:

Alignmentsheet.jpg

According to the shop manual I have the specs for alignment are:

Caster:

LH front: 5.1 +/- 1.0
RH front: 5.3 +/- 1.0
Total/Split: -0.2 +/- 0.4

Camber:

LH front: -0.5 +/- 0.8
RH front: -0.5 +/- 0.8
Total/Split: 0 +/- 0.8

Toe:

LH Front: 0.10 +/- 0.25
RH Front: 0.10 +/- 0.25
Total/Split: 0.20 +/- 0.25

For the rear:

Camber:

LH Rear: 0.9 +/- 0.8
RH Rear: 0.9 +/- 0.8
Total/Split: 0 +/- 0.8

Toe:

LH Rear: 0.10 +/- 0.25
RH Rear: 0.10 +/- 0.25
Total/Split: 0.20 +/- 0.25

So, assuming the numbers in the sheet weren't fudged, how bad is it?

Now I'm confused :D Nothing new:D

almost an inch of toe and no camber change, someone either played with the machine or the heads that go on the wheels. Lowering (lifting) the suspension on these trucks does one thing, pulls the upper arm inward (touching the spring in some cases) and makes the camber go negative. I find it very hard to believe that for the toe to be that far off and the camber was not affected. Mine went from .9- to almost 2.0- after installing 2" spacers.

Thank you for explaining it 04 EDGE...it makes more sense to me now. It would have been good to know what the specs were before lifting for comparison.

Guess I need to go to the auto hobby shop on the base where I work and see if I can watch them do it to see if there's any sneaky "adjusting" going on

Count me in as well

Is it too late to get my name added to the list for Uppers? I am on board if brandon can make another set to add to the list. Hope it can help with cost.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been online much, I am making these for sure, but they are going to be a little tricky to make... Have to get some parts machined for them. So, my question is this: how many of you want a set for sure? I'd like to make the first run of machined parts at once to save time & costs. Also, If the "for sure" people would send me either a text or email that would be great.
Also: note that you will most likely have to destroy your stock upper arms to get the cross shaft out. My new arms will be designed so the bushings slide on, then the arm bolts to the bushings.
My number is 909-702-7462 and email is jalopydriver88@yahoo.com
I will keep the cost at $550/pair.

Email sent:D:thumbsup:

I'll be ordering spacers at the same time, but I think I'm going to wait until a thorough "How to" thread gets written by you guys that actually know what you're doing; as opposed to me not knowing much of anything.... Last thing I need is to be knocking about with my EX in pieces in my garage....

Brandon depending on how successful my job goes this summer depends on if I can get your spacers and uca at the same time. I just thought I would post to show interest and thanks for tackling this problem head on :D

Count me in!

Gents if it's not too late. I would like to get in on an order. I'm ready to pay now and just down the street from BTF. I'm on the second set of joints and it's tearing up the truck. Please get back to me and let me know if I can get in on this still.

I already have the full spacer set up installed as well.

Thanks

I am in as well

Brandon,

we have spoke on the phone, you know I am in. I am waiting for the new A-arms.

Does anyone know if these would fit a 2007 expy? I got alifted one and want to go a little larger but the uca angle blows.

man i want, right now the bank accounts aint sayin the same, lol maybe this summer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too late to get in on this? I have the spacers installed already and my ball joints are shot!!

Back