Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Cory,

I also have an issue with the rain noise:mad:. Sound like hail hitting the roof. With the microphone installed above the driver, makes using the audio system impossible. Cannot use for telephone calls, voice commands,etc.

X is as quite as my Lincoln Town Car :) until it rains and the X fails the quite test:thumbdwn:.

Have talked to my salesman about the issue with no response from him.

Is there a fix yet?

Bruce :usa:
I saw that Natasha received your private message and I she let me know she replied with more information. Please check your messages for the details.

blwnsmoke, I can see why this would be frustrating. I would like to do everything that I can to look into this and figure out how to get the issue reproduced. I sent you a private message with details about your case.

kappaknight, if there is a video capturing the noise, please send me the link so that I can have it to forward.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cory, I have no PM from you in my inbox.

Someone call dynamat we are going to need a ton of it, the only way to fix this is to remove the headliner and install some sheets of Dynamat or a same type of sound deadnener to the inside roof. I would rather deal with it then have the whole inside rattle and be loose when they remove most of the interior to remove the headliner and destroy all the clips holding everything tight......I used to dynamat entire cars for sound quality it is a lot of work and Adds weight to the car but can make a big difference......just weight your wishes rain noise or everything rattling......

Look for a solution from Ford in 2013 MY. I think we are stuck with this for now.

Someone call dynamat we are going to need a ton of it, the only way to fix this is to remove the headliner and install some sheets of Dynamat or a same type of sound deadnener to the inside roof. I would rather deal with it then have the whole inside rattle and be loose when they remove most of the interior to remove the headliner and destroy all the clips holding everything tight......I used to dynamat entire cars for sound quality it is a lot of work and Adds weight to the car but can make a big difference......just weight your wishes rain noise or everything rattling......

Going to need a lot of it?? It's in one small place, the curve of the roofline where the windshield ends. Someone has removed the headliner already and that section is sealed with metal, there is no way to actually get in there unless one drills holes through it to put in spray foam.

Pouring all this week by me and my 2011 explorer sounds like it has a tin roof. did they skimp on the headline padding or not undercoat the roof??? It's almost embarrassing

Anybody have pictures with the head liner down? I have some hail damage :mad: (14 days old) on my roof and the paint less repair technician will probably take the head liner down. If I knew what to expect, I would put some recommend sound proofing material/foam in the trouble area. Sounds like it is on the slope above the windshield back to the ribbing on the roof. Anybody thought of trying the lemon law on this issue?

Sure looks like when the word get out about the rain issue it will have some effect on the future sales of the X.

There is a picture on this forum floating somewhere showing what the exposed metal looks like.

IMG_0633.jpg

On a separate note, do you actually know what the Lemon law is and how it works? There are some specific things that must happen for it to take effect. You can't just shout lemon law and get a replacement.

Pouring all this week by me and my 2011 explorer sounds like it has a tin roof. did they skimp on the headline padding or not undercoat the roof??? It's almost embarrassing

They didn't skimp on the padding as there is nothing there. The reason it sounds like a tin drum is because it literally IS a drum-like cavity up there. A hollow space surrounded by metal.

blwnsmoke, thank you for letting me know the message didn’t go through properly.

I just wanted everyone to know that I'm still looking into this. For all of you who haven’t done so already, I would like to help in every way I can with the issue. So I can assist and escalate your concern, please send me a PM with your VIN, dealer name, and approximate mileage.

Cory

We have also experienced this rain noise on the roof, unlike anything we have experienced before: driving with my wife, we hear this tin sound when big drops fall on the roof close up by the windshield, so I ask her: you hear that sound? she says: "yes, of course, what is that???" I tell her: "well, that sound is what a lot of customers are complaining about over at explorerforum.com

Bottomline, this rain noise makes the vehicle sound "cheap".

I hope everyone is sending Cory their vehicle info. We need a bunch of cases open so Ford opens their eyes to this..

I sure as hell dont want to hear this for the next 7+ years.

Don't count on anything. Opened case they in turn pushed it onto the dealer to look at. Dealer Body Shop said their was nothing they can do because of the access in there nor did they have the experience sound proofing cars. Net results circle run around. Unless Ford Engineering dictates a solution through a TSB get use to the rain drops.

I don't know if there will be a factory solution to this one. If not, I know I will be pulling my visors off and pumping some accoustic material into the cavity through the holes for the visor wiring harness.

A thought not sure it will lessen the affects: what about using a thicker clear film on the exterior applied to that area?

I now know this sound, was just in an friends 11' Limited other day in rain, wtf.... it sounded like someone dropping golf balls on the roof. Got back in my 10 yr old Mountaineer and it was waaaaay quieter in the same rain lol, seriously how can Ford make such a massive fail like this. That was seriously annoying to drive with even with the stereo on, that would get old real fast in FL with normal rain days.

The roof must be made of half a mm of metal with no sound absorbing material or anything between it an the headliner. That alone would cause me to not by an 11' Ex as who wants to drive in a place that see's a decent amount of rain and have to listen to that racket.

I now know this sound, was just in an friends 11' Limited other day in rain, wtf.... it sounded like someone dropping golf balls on the roof. Got back in my 10 yr old Mountaineer and it was waaaaay quieter in the same rain lol, seriously how can Ford make such a massive fail like this. That was seriously annoying to drive with even with the stereo on, that would get old real fast in FL with normal rain days.

The roof must be made of half a mm of metal with no sound absorbing material or anything between it an the headliner. That alone would cause me to not by an 11' Ex as who wants to drive in a place that see's a decent amount of rain and have to listen to that racket.

Too lazy to read all of the blurbs on this thread. I have a moonroof. The sound isn't that bad on mine when it pours. I have been in some heavy rains here. Can't say it is that bothersome. Must be worse if you don't have the moonroof. We also don't have raindrops the size of small dogs like the southern states. Hopefully Ford will come up with a solution for you guys. I don't need one. :salute:

Wondering if the sunroof would make a difference one way or the other?

Actually ordering mine tomorrow finally....on the fence about the sunnroof.

I ordered mine with it... can't tell you how it is because my build date is 5/27... and its going slooooooooooooooooooow

Too lazy to read all of the blurbs on this thread. I have a moonroof. The sound isn't that bad on mine when it pours. I have been in some heavy rains here. Can't say it is that bothersome. Must be worse if you don't have the moonroof. We also don't have raindrops the size of small dogs like the southern states. Hopefully Ford will come up with a solution for you guys. I don't need one.

I was thinking the same thing. I have the moonroof, and we have had constant heavy rain since I got my Ex a few weeks ago and I have no issues. So i guess, the moral of the story is.... Buy the moonroof....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is loud when you are parked in heavy rain. I dont notice it so much driving. I think they made the roof out of thinner material for lighter weight for better MPG. I doubt anything can be done for the cars allready made. If enough people complain they may have a fix for the cars not made yet. Which would not help resale values for the ones with the noisy roof like mine.
I am more concerned with the lousy hands free phone. Its always noisy raining or not.

Back