• Register Today It's free!

2012 Ford Explorer Order Guide

Pattonn

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Found the 2012 Ford Explorer Order Guide on BlueOval.

Here is the link to the PDF
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=11117

From what I can see, it appears these are the major changes:

1) New center stack that has "meteorite upper and high gloss lower". Not sure I would like that.

2) 4 cylinder ecoboost engine actually available

3) BLIS now includes the inflatable seatbelts feature

4) New Limited 303A rapid spec...Includes P245/50R20 Pirelli Tires and 3.51 Axle Ratio.

5) Two levels of SYNC will be offered in 2012
○ SYNC®Voice-ActivatedCommunicationsand Entertainment available on Base Explorer and Standard on XLT
○ SYNC®Services–Voice-ActivatedCommunications and Entertainment with Traffic Directions and Information. Available on XLT and Standard on Limited.
Note: Traffic, Directions, Information Services receive a complimentary three year prepaid subscription (one phone/primary account)

Is the one for the LIMITED trim the same as on the 2011 (i.e. 3 year traffic / direction / information services)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting...

the current 20" are 255 50 20... going with a narrower tire?

3.51 Axle ratio from 3.16/3.39? little more acceleration... but probable a little less mpg... a sport package?

4) New Limited 303A rapid spec...Includes P245/50R20 Pirelli Tires and 3.51 Axle Ratio.

Explains the narrow tires and axle ratio - order guide shows "New Limited Rapid Spec 303A with EcoBoost™"

Of course you can't get the EcoBoost with tow package or 4WD...

hurray! No 2012 feature envy :)

So if Im reading correctly there is no Tuxedo Black (glass fleck metallic) for 2012 just regular black?

Tuxedo Black is no longer... just Black. Kona Blue is gone too... being replaced by Dark Blue Pearl Metallic (F150s already come in this color). We've heard on other posts that Gold Leaf is becoming Ginger Ale Metallic, which is still gold and Cinnamon Metallic is new as well.

So, does it look like the 2012 explorer is essentially the same as the 2011? We just ordered our 2011 limited (301a + blis) on 5/16 and would hate to have 2012 envy.

If you just put in an order last week, most likely it will not go through or has been cancelled. I thought they werent taking anymore 2011 orders. maybe your dealer is waiting until next week and will put it in when 2012 orders can start to be put in.

So, does it look like the 2012 explorer is essentially the same as the 2011? We just ordered our 2011 limited (301a + blis) on 5/16 and would hate to have 2012 envy.

I usually like to order my vehicles during a Job 2 build and I don't know if the Explorer run actually had an official Job 2 run but since mine was built mid May, it seems like that was near the end of he 2011 builds and I will consider that job 2.

Hope they included any and all known fixes.

I know that mine actually already got a vin, so i am assuming it will be a 2011.

If you just put in an order last week, most likely it will not go through or has been cancelled. I thought they werent taking anymore 2011 orders. maybe your dealer is waiting until next week and will put it in when 2012 orders can start to be put in.

Interesting changes. HID still not a option below the 302A rapid spec package on the limited. :(

Also looks like the tire change / gear ratio change is to help with the Ecoboost 4.

Of course you can't get the EcoBoost with tow package or 4WD...

Sadly, we short sighted Americans have this stupid obsession with more power vs. Economy. The EcoBoost puts out, what, 290 HP? When is 290 HP not enough to push a 4wd? You'd think $4 gas would change that. Guess not.

I was holding out for a 2012 Eco, until I heard the Fwd only. Sad.

I thought the new Ecoboost is suppose to give better gas mileage.

I thought the new Ecoboost is suppose to give better gas mileage.

It does. Ford is saying it isn't powerful enough for the 4wd. I think the are wrong.

Sadly, we short sighted Americans have this stupid obsession with more power vs. Economy. The EcoBoost puts out, what, 290 HP? When is 290 HP not enough to push a 4wd? You'd think $4 gas would change that. Guess not.

The eco isnt 290, the 3.5 is 290hp and 255tq. The eco is 237hp and 250tq if I remember correctly.

It is still plenty of power for 4wd. Hell my 02 audi a4 had 170hp and was awd.

I agree I think it is stupid Ford is not offering it in a 4wd and without a reduced tow package.

When the 2011's first came out the blogs were quoting the EcoBoost engine at 237hp...

One Example:
http://www.distrocars.com/2011-ford-explorerhttp://www.distrocars.com/2011-ford-explorer

I'm pretty sure this is correct and do not believe the SuperCharged 4-cyl will match the V6's 290hp. Otherwise I think you'd be correct in assuming they would be able to put a 4WD tranny in it with towing capability. I think the low HP rating is the reason why neither of these options are available on the I-4 engine for 2012. I'm excited to see that the official order guide is out and will be visiting my dealer on Wednesday to order a 2012 Limited. 4WD Sterling Grey with Pecan interior FTW.

could be a durability issue. a lot of work for an inline 4 with a turbo... with about 1500 lbs more to carry than your old a4.

they just want to tout the 30% better fuel efficiency... with 25mpg hwy rating on the current fwd v6, they want to hit 30mpg i guess. i wonder if thats going to be on regular 87 octane

The eco isnt 290, the 3.5 is 290hp and 255tq. The eco is 237hp and 250tq if I remember correctly.

It is still plenty of power for 4wd. Hell my 02 audi a4 had 170hp and was awd.

I agree I think it is stupid Ford is not offering it in a 4wd and without a reduced tow package.

Guess that makes my Kona Blue extra special!
I can understand no Tuxed Black..but I thought the only color change was the ginger ale replacing gold leaf. Is cinnamon a red or bronze color?
I can't read the PDF-says I don't have permission.

google ford cinnamon metallic... they used it in the taurus and edge... looks simliar to bordeaux to me.

Guess that makes my Kona Blue extra special!
I can understand no Tuxed Black..but I thought the only color change was the ginger ale replacing gold leaf. Is cinnamon a red or bronze color?
I can't read the PDF-says I don't have permission.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So does this mean I should call my dealer tomorrow and make sure the order gets placed? I have yet to receive an order number.

Back