Too wide, left arm rest? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Too wide, left arm rest?

Randys1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer
I love this car so much, but...

It is actually 10 inches wider than my former Tahoe, that surprises me, but not for long

when driving, the car is so wide that there really is no left arm armrest, as that is too far from my normal positioning to be of use

that does bother me quite a bit and if ford is reading this, need to fix that, in fact if i had driven one before buying, i might not have for that reason alone

long trips that will get uncomfortable...other than that

love
it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is actually 10 inches wider than my former Tahoe, that surprises me, but not for long

when driving, the car is so wide that there really is no left arm armrest, as that is too far from my normal positioning to be of use

that does bother me quite a bit and if ford is reading this, need to fix that, in fact if i had driven one before buying, i might not have for that reason alone

long trips that will get uncomfortable...other than that

love
it
I agree it is quite wide. I find that after I get in I usually have to scoot over to the right a bit to get into the center of the seat. The left armrest is a little further away than in my former Highlander but I don't find it a big problem.

Bring a pillow. LMAO. Don't see a big problem. But then again. I'm gigantic. Love this vehicle. If I were 5' something, then it probably would pose a problem.

I learn to lean to my right now and rest my elbow on the spacious padded center. :p

That's funny. I am 5'2 woman and my left arm doesn't even come close to that armrest. I do sometime lean my leg up against it though!

That's funny. I am 5'2 woman and my left arm doesn't even come close to that armrest. I do sometime lean my leg up against it though!

i dont know if the larger mad who posted can sit in the middle and have his arm hit it but it is suppose to be designed so we can all use it as an arm rest

it is an absolute and definite flaw

I could have accepted a slightly narrower vehicle, i was amazed to learn it is a full ten inches WIDER than a TAHOE

i dont know if the larger mad who posted can sit in the middle and have his arm hit it but it is suppose to be designed so we can all use it as an arm rest

it is an absolute and definite flaw

I could have accepted a slightly narrower vehicle, i was amazed to learn it is a full ten inches WIDER than a TAHOE
It sounds as though the Tahoe must be on the narrow side. The Ex is only 3.7" wider than my former '09 Toyota Highlander.

Bring a pillow. LMAO. Don't see a big problem. But then again. I'm gigantic. Love this vehicle. If I were 5' something, then it probably would pose a problem.
HAHA. Same here. When you're 6'4" and 230 there really is no problem. especially coming from a Saturn Vue where my legs wouldn't fit in the car very well and I had no room to do anything.

I traded in a Tahoe and do not notice a difference. This Explorer fits into my garage much easier than the Tahoe did, so the 10" wider really surprises me.

I'm over six feet tall, and I have wide shoulders for a skinny guy. With that, I can use the left armrest. I can 100% see where it would be issue for a lot of people. It's not as usable as my 08 was, but it is at least in the right spot for me. Some cars are too high or low.

The internal width of the EX is one of the reasons I bought it. I was aware that it was as wide as my Toyota Tundra before my test drive. I like that aspect much better than my wife's RX350. It is more of a reach to rest my arm on the window than my Tundra , but it doesn't bother me. I am 6 feet tall with fairy short arms.

The width really comes into play in the back seat when you have two car seats next to each other and someone is going to sit in the third seat in the second row. They get in, are bunched against the car seat, brace for closing the door, and then are very surprised at how much room they have and that the door didn't smush them into the car seat further. Finally, they relax and compliment :)

It was one of the first things I noticed after I purchased my vehicle and now lean on the middle console to compensate. Definitely a problem.

I also wish they had a handle near the driver and passenger door openings as I would sometimes rest my hand there on my last vehicle.

The only time it's an annoyance for me I learned this weekend.... Driving up to a community gate keypad and trying to reach it or when at the airport parking and reaching over to get a park ticket... Have to unbuckle seat belt and stretch over the window or open the door cause I still cant reach :)

Ford Didn't Have a Better Idea

Distance! How far is too far? I'm total in agreement with everybody finding difficulty with the new Explorer. At 5'6" it's a stretch, talking tuff to even rest the elbow, but then it's the wife's truck, so I only have to sweat it on those "Long" trips when she makes me drive. Emphasis on long. I find it fatiguing. Needless to say, we only take the Ford when we need back seats. Otherwise it's my two-seater! I fit that one just fine (but can't discuss on a Ford Forum). LOL

it

I have no idea where you fabricated these dimensions, but the Tahoe is a much bigger vehicle than the Explorer, even though the Explorer seems wide. Actual width measurements: Explorer - 78.9 in. Tahoe - 80.5 in.

Check the rest of the dimensions, there is more room in the Tahoe in every category. What have you been smoking?

My Ridgeline was the same, was pretty wide, so I am used to it in the Explorer. I actually like the roominess. Not as comfy to hang an arm out the window though, but I never did that anyway.

Glad it's not just me when I first tried to use it I almost hit my head on the glass, I too have to scoot over to the middle of the seat ( I'm not short i'm compact!)lol

Holy thread necro. This was 4 years dead until last week.

I have no idea where you fabricated these dimensions, but the Tahoe is a much bigger vehicle than the Explorer, even though the Explorer seems wide. Actual width measurements: Explorer - 78.9 in. Tahoe - 80.5 in.

Check the rest of the dimensions, there is more room in the Tahoe in every category. What have you been smoking?

This exactly. Even the previous generation Tahoe was 79.0 inches. You have to go back to 1999 to find the slimmest Tahoe, at 77.0 inches. Anyone parroting this "10 inches larger" is a moron.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back