Remote starter options | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote starter options

SO back to carlink. is it compatible with the stock remote starter on the ex? that would be awesome

I will find out soon.
I am getting the same remote starter (Ford 19G364) installed tomorrow at my dealer.
Once I have it I will be able to take a look at the module and figure out what's going on.
Carlink is installed by a different shop in my area, I'm planning to visit them once the Ford starter is in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remote Start Issues

Is anyone having problems with the remote start? I have a Limited - just got it Saturday - and love it so far, just one confusing thing...The remote start seems to start the engine, but that is it. I don't think the climate control is working with remote start even though I have everything set to auto. Also, the car shuts off when I get in it and I have to restart it. Please help!

khjakubec said:
Is anyone having problems with the remote start? I have a Limited - just got it Saturday - and love it so far, just one confusing thing...The remote start seems to start the engine, but that is it. I don't think the climate control is working with remote start even though I have everything set to auto. Also, the car shuts off when I get in it and I have to restart it. Please help!

I assume this is a starter that came with the car from factory. The left display panel should let you customize what climate settings should start with the car. Re shutoff- the key must inside the car and I think you have to press the starter button while foot on the break.

Does that help?

I researched your question and found this information on page 72 of the 2011 Explorer Owners Guide 4th Printing:

“Note: No climate control adjustments will be recognized during remote start operation and none of the climate function indicators will be illuminated while the vehicle is in remote start. Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle) and adjustments can be made normally. If the previous setting was off, the climate control system will turn off.
If you previously had any of the following activated: heated seats (if equipped), cooled seats (if equipped), heated mirrors (if equipped), or rear defrost, they will not return to their previous settings (on) when the ignition is turned on and will need to be re-activated if desired.”

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you would like help with after trying that!

In case you don’t have a digital copy, the Owner’s Guide can also be downloaded/printed for free at www.FordOwner.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and selecting 2011 Explorer from the drop down menus.

Cory

I researched your question and found this information on page 72 of the 2011 Explorer Owners Guide 4th Printing:

“Note: No climate control adjustments will be recognized during remote start operation and none of the climate function indicators will be illuminated while the vehicle is in remote start. Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle) and adjustments can be made normally. If the previous setting was off, the climate control system will turn off.
If you previously had any of the following activated: heated seats (if equipped), cooled seats (if equipped), heated mirrors (if equipped), or rear defrost, they will not return to their previous settings (on) when the ignition is turned on and will need to be re-activated if desired.”

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you would like help with after trying that!

In case you don’t have a digital copy, the Owner’s Guide can also be downloaded/printed for free at www.FordOwner.com > Vehicle Basics > Owner’s Manual and Videos > and selecting 2011 Explorer from the drop down menus.

Cory
Cory, I'm a little confused. Reading your reply it seems as though auto start will not start heating or cooling of the cabin. My manual under REMOTE START CLIMATE OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED) says that the Climate Control system will condition the cabin temperature during remote start. Engine idle may increase to help in adjusting the cabin temperature. This is on page 75 of my manual for the Canadian version of the 2011 Limited.
Perhaps I misunderstood your reply.

Peter

Hey,
This is directly from the manual.

REMOTE START CLIMATE OPERATION (IF EQUIPPED)
The climate control system will condition the cabin temperature during
remote start. Engine idle may increase to help with adjusting the cabin
temperature.
Note: No climate control adjustments will be recognized during remote
start operation. Once the ignition is cycled to the on position, the climate
control system will return to the previous settings (last ignition-on cycle)
and adjustments can be made normally. If the previous setting was off,
the climate control system will turn off.
Automatic climate control
For hot weather conditions:
• The interior cabin will be cooled to 72°F (22°C).
• The cooled seats (if equipped) will be set to high.
For cold weather conditions:
• The interior cabin will be heated to 72°F (22°C).
• The heated seats (if equipped) will be set to high.
• Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be activated.
For moderate weather conditions:
• The interior cabin will be heated, cooled, or off, based upon the
previous operating state (last ignition-on cycle).
• Heated/cooled seats (if equipped) will be deactivated.
• Rear defrost/heated mirrors (if equipped) will be deactivated.

Auto Climate is...... Automatic. You don't have to do anything. It automatically adjusts the cabin temp to 22 deg Celsius. You'll only notice it in extreme temperatures. i.e. Very cold or very hot. You won't notice it when it's 22 degrees out. Because it adjusts to 22 degrees automatically.

What this says is you can not adjust the climate until you put your foot on the break and push the ignition button at which time it will go to the last known setting. So after a remote start you jump in and start playing with all the nobs and gadgets, well, that won't work. Foot on break... press button.... turn nobs and levers.... then it works. My Ltd adjust the cabin accordingly. This winter when I started it, it would warm the cabin to 22 Celsius and all the defrosters would kick in. It's automatic. Haven't seen what it does in warmer weather as it's not warm enough for AC here yet. It should however, cool the cabin and turn on the cooled seats. I'll update you the first hot day we have here. Which by the looks of it won't be until July. LMAO. Gotta love Canada EH! What's that all abooot.

EDIT:
When I said you don't have to do anything and that it's automatic. I may have (probably was) wrong.

In the manual under instrument cluster, under convenience, REMOTE START it says

Convenience
(cont’d)
Easy Entry/Exit
Locks Autolock
Autounlock
Remote Unlock All Doors or
Driver First
Oil life Reset Set 10-100%
Power Liftgate Switch Enabled or Disabled
Remote Start Climate Control Heater – A/C
Auto or Last
Setting
Climate Control Front Defrost
Auto or Off
Climate Control Rear Defrost
Auto or Off
Climate Control Driver Seat
Auto or Off
Climate Control Passenger Seat
Auto or Off
Duration (5, 10 or
15 minutes)

Here I believe is where you set up your AUTOMATIC settings. Mine are set up. Good luck.

PLEASE READ THE MANUAL FROM COVER TO COVER. It's amazing how it tells you how things work.

Thanks Chimoman. I thought the systems would work with the remote start. I'll double check to see that I have it set up in the options. I haven't really used the remote start yet but it would be nice to have it set up to work in case I did want to use it. Have a good day, eh!;)

*sigh* kinda envy you guys with push button start in your limiteds

I was getting my remote starter installed today but they couldn't finish on time so I will see tomorrow.

Thanks Chimoman. I thought the systems would work with the remote start. I'll double check to see that I have it set up in the options. I haven't really used the remote start yet but it would be nice to have it set up to work in case I did want to use it. Have a good day, eh!;)
peterk9, I see that chimoman found a better part of the manual to post. Did you have a chance to check what setting it’s on?

Cory

Just a quick update, got the car back, remote starter working as advertised. I have a new set of keys with the remote start button (otherwise identical to the original ones).
The "remote start" menu on the left panel is now enabled and it lets me configure temperature settings, etc. (One of the options there is "quiet start" and I don't know what it means.)
Have not been able to look at the the hardware yet, will catch up this weekend to try to figure out if/how a Carlink module could be added.
Got a little discount, so bill total was $550+tax.

Just a quick update, got the car back, remote starter working as advertised. I have a new set of keys with the remote start button (otherwise identical to the original ones).
The "remote start" menu on the left panel is now enabled and it lets me configure temperature settings, etc. (One of the options there is "quiet start" and I don't know what it means.)
Have not been able to look at the the hardware yet, will catch up this weekend to try to figure out if/how a Carlink module could be added.

This price is where I get confused. When I look that part number (BB5Z-19G364-A) up on Ford Accessories, it shows up as $167.20 for the part, and $213.20 for Part With Installation at Hiller Ford in Hales Corners, WI. Does this kit not come with new keys for this price or what am I missing?

peterk9, I see that chimoman found a better part of the manual to post. Did you have a chance to check what setting it’s on?

Cory
Hi Cory. Yes I checked the settings and everything is set to either ON or AUTO so it should work if I every use the Remote Start. Thanks.

Peter

I’m really glad your remote starter is working as it should. baxterdown referred to quiet start as setting it to “stealth” which means that there is no horn honking.

JustB_Rad, I can’t confirm exactly what the dealer price will be but I looked into your question and I found it’s a key fob, not a key. Please feel free to drop me a line if you would any other help.

Hi Cory. Yes I checked the settings and everything is set to either ON or AUTO so it should work if I every use the Remote Start. Thanks.

Peter
I’m happy you have the settings to how you like it! Let me know if you still have any questions!

Cory

I’m really glad your remote starter is working as it should. baxterdown referred to quiet start as setting it to “stealth” which means that there is no horn honking.

JustB_Rad, I can’t confirm exactly what the dealer price will be but I looked into your question and I found it’s a key fob, not a key. Please feel free to drop me a line if you would any other help.

I’m happy you have the settings to how you like it! Let me know if you still have any questions!

Cory

That's what I understand, but an earlier poster said they used that part number, and got 2 new keys with theirs. I don't have a problem paying the higher price, but I'm confused beyond belief because nothing is matching up here.

This price is where I get confused. When I look that part number (BB5Z-19G364-A) up on Ford Accessories, it shows up as $167.20 for the part, and $213.20 for Part With Installation at Hiller Ford in Hales Corners, WI. Does this kit not come with new keys for this price or what am I missing?

I don't think that's the complete kit. Mine installed when it arrives at the dealer is $579.

I don't think that's the complete kit. Mine installed when it arrives at the dealer is $579.

That's the part number I got when I asked for the complete kit earlier though....hence my confusion.

Cory

Not to hijack the thread but isn't Quiet Start according to the manual the following:

See page 149 of your manual. Locks and Security

"Vehicles with automatic climate control can be configured to operate
when the vehicle is started. Refer to Remote start climate options in
the Climate Controls chapter for more information and also refer to
Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter to learn how to
enable different climate options. A manual climate control system will
run at the setting it was set to when the vehicle was last turned off.
To help make the vehicle as comfortable as possible, the engine idle can
be increased during a remote start. You can enable or disable engine idle
increase by selecting Remote Start Quiet in the message center. Refer to
Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter."
2011 Explorer
Owners Guide, 3rd Print

Car Start

So I have a 98 Ford Explorer Sport. Im going to say right off the bat, I am definitely not to knowledgable about these cars, hence I'm on this forum.
Every time I start the car I have to press the unlock button on the keyless remote and then it will turn on. Is there any way to by pass this so i don't have to press it every time?

Like I said, each dealer will vary on their price for installation. If you would like me to lend a hand, I can research this for you if you’d like to send me your vehicle details and the dealer you’d like to work with in a private message. I’d like to help as much as I can!

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not to hijack the thread but isn't Quiet Start according to the manual the following:

See page 149 of your manual. Locks and Security

"Vehicles with automatic climate control can be configured to operate
when the vehicle is started. Refer to Remote start climate options in
the Climate Controls chapter for more information and also refer to
Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter to learn how to
enable different climate options. A manual climate control system will
run at the setting it was set to when the vehicle was last turned off.
To help make the vehicle as comfortable as possible, the engine idle can
be increased during a remote start. You can enable or disable engine idle
increase by selecting Remote Start Quiet in the message center. Refer to
Message center in the Instrument Cluster chapter."
2011 Explorer
Owners Guide, 3rd Print
You’re right; I appreciate the correction! While researching this, I definitely missed that part of the Owners Guide. Thanks again!

Cory

Back