• Register Today It's free!

Quick towing Ex ques.

Jarubell

Reaction score
City, State
Was Winnipeg, Manitoba now Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP 92 XLT
Can the Explorer be towed four wheels down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bad idea to tow any vehicle 4 wheels down unless its been modified. and very bad idea to tow a 4x4 with any wheels down. i drove a tow truck for 2 years and ive seen 4x4's "walk" off of a wheel lift type truck. even in neutral the drive train spins and with out the pumps being under power there isnt any lubrication on the gears and clutches. it was policy if we had to tow a 4x4 we put it on a flatbed or had to throw dollies under the ground wheels.

If im am mistaken please feel free to correct my information, but like i said company policy for the towing company as well as AAA auto club policy to flatbed any 4x4 regardless of what it was called, ie 4x4, 4wd, awd, weather it was full time or part time.

another driver i worked with had to pay to replace a tranny in a customers car because he picked it from the wrong end.

i should add, if its an emergency situation, you can move the vehicle short distances on all 4 wheels, i wouldn't go much above 35mph and not for more than a few miles.

Thanks, I had no clue. I remember someone at work towing a larger 4x4 years ago, broke down 200km from home, with a homemade a-frame but I do remember him disconnecting his driveshafts.

Thanks again

You could take the rear wheels drive shaft out, thats what a tow truck driver did to my moms old EB when it was wrecked.

neutral tow kit, will allow to flat tow a vehicle if its not a awd.

You could take the rear wheels drive shaft out, thats what a tow truck driver did to my moms old EB when it was wrecked.

thanks for adding that, i forgot all about pulling the driveshafts. ive been out of towing for a cpl years now, its starting to show.

I've seen both drive shafts taken out of 4wd trucks and towed (either broken down towing it to a shop or home, or some other reason), I haven't seen ANY problems with taking both drive shafts out, even a slightly newer truck (2004), not sure if what trucks/cars you can remove both shafts from, but if you have the tools handy, you can make it happen, I just wouldn't go above 45mph, the fastest I've allowed them to go is 25mph-35mph for about 1-2 miles at stop and go traffic. Even though both drive shafts are out, still need to be cautious.

Back