• Register Today It's free!

HOw much $

Jarubell

Reaction score
City, State
Was Winnipeg, Manitoba now Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP 92 XLT
How much would you guys pay for a "2000 Ford Explorer XLT, Fully Loaded, Leather, Power Moon Roof, Windows, Locks, Keyless Entry, Remote Starter, 5.0 Liter V8, 141 000 MILES. NO RUST, Tow Package." ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$3.5-4k USD

You? :D

It's listed for 3800CAD which I'm thinking of going for it. Sad it's 3.5 hours away.

Not a bad deal. See if you can get him to go lower and/or meet you halfway.

Sounds pretty decent, I would give all of $4KUSD if its not all calpped out and destroyed.
Someone from Canadia was on here talking about how rare the 5.0 is up there and how anythign even halfway decent commands $3500. Think he was from Ontario.

Started to work out details but then found out it is 2wd. Bummer, they should have had that in there ad.

really...?

this has me thinking;

who buys a 5 liter 2wd explorer?.... especially in Canada?

I wish mine was 4x4. AWD is a total power hungry *******!

Well work ended that earlier search for an Explorer but I'm on the hunt again. Found a 97 XLT V-8, seller claims all is solid except for a front u-joint, even no rust, i`ll believe that when I see it.

"1997 ford explorer V-8 all wheel drive xlt. Body in good shape, tires are good on aluminum teardrop mag, new windshield, new alternator, new battery. Engine and transmission are both strong, no leaks of oil or tranny fluid. Problem with vehicle is a front U-joint otherwise a very strong runner. Engine is also 302 -5 litre."

Mileage is high at 228000kms.

What do you guys think for 1500CAD?

Front ujoint? at the diff? The front axle has CV joints and where the drive shaft comes off the t-case is CV style also.... I would check it over well, but for an awd V8 in CA it maybe worth the money, but I would crawl under it check the frame and body over well, if part of the frame looks bad tap it with a hammer make sure it does not go through, I've had that happen....You don't want to buy junk for that price.

Well, I took a look at it and there was not a crazy amount rust, little bit of surface, but the problems start with the CV. It bangs as you start to roll and when I cranked the steering wheel to turn around, it seemed to knock, bang a lot more. Also, sounds like a power steering pump issue and a drivers door window does not work and is cracked open.

Now to search for how much CV joints go for and if PS pump repairs are expensive?

Are you sure that the AWD wasn't binding the front as sometimes those t-cases have problems....

No, I guess I'm not sure. It sounded like it was coming from the front drivers side to me. How would one check for the binding the front?

You would feel it in the front end especially when turning sharp. Just that what you described sounded as if the front was binding. But could also be something else wore out in the front. $1500.00 isn't too bad if it needs something simple in the front though.

Well, maybe the CV joint was wishful thinking since what I see here is a simple job. I was also guessing that a power steering pump couldn't be hard as well but I still need to look that one up. Door window, minor.

www.kbb.com

then subtract about $1,000. This seems to be in line with most Explorers these days.

Back