MyFord Touch and Album Art - CD's and MP3 discs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MyFord Touch and Album Art - CD's and MP3 discs

jbuck

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have seen posts about Album Art issues but everything so far centers around Gracenote being on or off, and album art specific to a USB connected device or media card. Has anyone else noticed, and/or definitively confirmed that the MyFord Touch system does not load album art from metadata that may be on a store bought CD or that this information is not pulled in from Gracenote relative to a CD that does not contain metadata?

Part two of this question relates to creating an MP3 data disc. MFT supports playing MP3 discs. This is a great way to get about 200 songs on a disc for playback. However, in my experience I have yet to see album art displayed that I confirmed is on the CD I created. Further, it doesn't seem that Gracenote checks for album art for an MP3 disc or for that matter a store bought CD.

Ford is researching this for me while my 2011 has been in the shop for 8 days for this and other things (bad APIM had to be replaced causing lot's of problems). Does it make sense that Gracenote features would be source dependent (e.g. USB connected devices or media card only)? This just does not sound right to me and it seems my local dealer is also curious but has not gotten a definitive answer from Ford....yet. Early indications if you read the manual carefully is that Gracenote is only referenced in the context of USB or media card devices so Gracenote and/or metadata may not work with bought or created CD's. Hope I am wrong and that Ford will confirm one way or the other soon. We miss our vehicle and I am a little put off by these problems and lack of clarification but otherwise happy with the vehicle.

Did Ford miss the boat on this one? I appreciate that some owners may be perfectly content with Gracenote features only working for USB connected devices or media card but I am not one of them.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally think the GraceNote database is useless, it's never going to be up to date enough with new CD's coming out every month, how do we update the GraceNote database every month?

I do agree that Album art is cool to see. I embedded the album art manually on each MP3 on my USB stick and it works great. I never tried putting them on a CD though. Can you confirm that the Album art was embedded in the metadata of the MP3's that were on your MP3 CD?

I would think that if you're using itunes to manage your music, you can simply use the automated "get album art" feature on itunes and embed the images with the music. Then, whatever device you're using should have the artwork along with the music and turn up on MFT? No?

I would fiddle with it, but my Ex is in the shop getting "re-flashed"...

Good times.

Part two of this question relates to creating an MP3 data disc. MFT supports playing MP3 discs. This is a great way to get about 200 songs on a disc for playback. However, in my experience I have yet to see album art displayed that I confirmed is on the CD I created.problems and lack of clarification but otherwise happy with the vehicle.

Thanks

Well, I just got my EX yesterday so I haven't had much time with it, but I've had enough time to determine that Gracenotes is useless. I put maybe 40 albums on an SD card and using gracenotes it displayed album art for maybe 5 of them. These were all mainstream albums that have been around awhile. When I turn gracenotes off every one of them displays album art perfectly from the embedded metadata.

Now I haven't tried mp3's from a cd, but it sees to me that it should behave the same as mp3's from USB devices or SD cards. That is if the art is embedded in the file then it should be displayed. Have you turned gracenotes off? It won't display embedded art if gracenotes is turned on.

Thanks for the reply. I created another MP3 disc, this time only with content that I manually added cover art to using MP3tag. With Gracenote on or off, either way the end result was the CD icon in place of album art.

Vehicle is now back from Ford. I spoke to a service advisor which deferred to an 800 number for Sync support to field the question whether or not Album art should display for media that is on a CD.

Take the following response with a grain of salt because she did not sound at all confident in her response. The response was album art will display for a store bought CD IF Gracenote is turned on. Album Art will not appear on a homemade MP3 data disc. I still think it should but my lack of success seems to compliments Ford's response at this time. The person at Sync I spoke to said if the Ford Service advisor still thinks something is not right to call his technical support folks for help. Will post if I learn any different and would appreciate it if you would do the same.

Thanks

Back