Myford Touch navigation Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Myford Touch navigation Issues

c64

Reaction score
I've been having multiple problems with myford touch and navigation.

1. It lags between touch commands and locks up sometimes to the point i have to turn off the truck.

2. The navigation doesn't to seem to be as accurate as my 2009 ford edge was. Tried 2 different locations, one location was off by blocks,the other location wasn't found(public high school).

3. get this notice(There is a problem with the VIN you provided. Please check your VIN and try again or contact us for assistance), when trying to use my sync website.

Please help:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. It lags between touch commands and locks up sometimes to the point i have to turn off the truck.

2. The navigation doesn't to seem to be as accurate as my 2009 ford edge was. Tried 2 different locations, one location was off by blocks,the other location wasn't found(public high school).

3. get this notice(There is a problem with the VIN you provided. Please check your VIN and try again or contact us for assistance), when trying to use my sync website.

1. Yes, it does lag. I find if I wait to make sure the system is ready for my response I have minimal problems. I definitely have problems if I get impatient and try to rush it.

2.. Try several different locations. My system is spot on.

3. Cory has said in the past that doing a Vehicle Heath Report and waiting for up to 24 hours can cure this problem. It has worked for some and not for others...

I found the Nav be poor also. I had a 2010 Navigator and did not have the issue and it also pronounced streets normal this one does not. Very strange pronounciation for normal streets like "University". It sent me into a parking lot off a wrong exit then told me to make a u turn. I am hoping this has something to do with the not being validated or something.

We have a 2011 Edge and Sync went out in first or second week and APIM had to be replaced. The Explorer made it three weeks before Sync/MFT went out and heater seems to be having issues.

Since I took it in for that I am having them look into the SyncMyRide not recognizing the vehicle.

Very happy with everything else but hope we aren't plagued with more issues. The Edge's Sync/MHT has worked fine since the APIM replacement.

Nav screen shattered

The nav screen in my 2010 sport trac shattered the other day it wasnt responding to my touch on the third try it just shattered, the dealer removed the unit and sent it to the factory to see if will be covered under the warranty they said that they dont think they will. looks like im in for a long fight!

1. Yes, it does lag. I find if I wait to make sure the system is ready for my response I have minimal problems. I definitely have problems if I get impatient and try to rush it.

2.. Try several different locations. My system is spot on.

3. Cory has said in the past that doing a Vehicle Heath Report and waiting for up to 24 hours can cure this problem. It has worked for some and not for others...

Gandalf, how has your MyFord Touch experience been? I have read so many conflicting comments but attribute a lot of negatives to early builds and versions. It is a little disappointing to see that it is still laggy. I know your build was about a week prior to mine (and mine has still not arrived) and wanted to know how your experience has been before I get the call to come down and buy my Explorer.

I'm curious as to what people consider a 'lag' time. I have V2.4 and I don't really feel I have a 'lag' problem. When switching to the Nav screen, or using any touch screen functions, it responds within 2 seconds max. That works for me but is that considered slow?

;)
I'm curious as to what people consider a 'lag' time. I have V2.4 and I don't really feel I have a 'lag' problem. When switching to the Nav screen, or using any touch screen functions, it responds within 2 seconds max. That works for me but is that considered slow?

I'm not having any lag issues either. Very quick actually. Since I brought it in to have 2.8 put on. They never put 2.8 on it. I think all they did was reboot the system. I found something interesting the other day. When I opened the hood up, the cover on the positive post for the battery was open. I haven't touched it. I remember reading on here somewhere if you unhooked the positive for a certain amount of time the system would reset or something. The dealer says they put the most recent version on. Sync still shows 2.4. Still working good though. I'll wait and see. I just don't like being bullshitted.

Gandalf, how has your MyFord Touch experience been? I have read so many conflicting comments but attribute a lot of negatives to early builds and versions. It is a little disappointing to see that it is still laggy. I know your build was about a week prior to mine (and mine has still not arrived) and wanted to know how your experience has been before I get the call to come down and buy my Explorer.

I am running 2.8. I have to say that my overall assessment of MFT is that I like it, and I am really loving my Explorer! I have no major complaints at all. I'll just add that these are my views after a week and 160 miles. Haven't messed with Sirius, so can't comment there. I have only made and received calls (successfully) with my HTC G2 Android phone. Never tried to play music or anything else through the phone, so I can't talk much about phone except to say that its seems to work fine as a phone.

Most of my issues have been understanding how the software works and most of the complaints are implementation issues.

Lag issues for me have to do with voice commands. After the lady tells me to say something, I have to hold back saying the commands for a couple seconds longer than you would in a normal conversation. No, not a long time, but if you do not adjust your thinking and response times, voice commands can get frustrating quickly.. You can look at the screen and wait for the status to say "Listening", but this is not the optimum solution while driving!

Some commands do take a couple of seconds after the screen is pressed, which can be irritating if you have a sequence of commands to enter. Some commands work faster than that. Never bothered to see how many do and how many don't or see if it's the same commands all the time.

Voice commands take some getting used to in terms of the system recognizing them. Seems to be especially sensitive in the Nav area for names. However, this seems to be a matter of calibrating how you act with the system. This is doing a lot better for me now than in the beginning.

Still running in "Hold My Hand" mode for voice commands. My main complaint here is that you are forced to say each command individually, then wait for her to complete her spiel before you can say the next command in the chain. You should be able to to say the complete command if you know it.

Upon starting the X, the MFT screen always defaults back to the home screen. This has been covered in other threads here. Should have the option to have it start with the home screen, go back to the last screen you were on when you turned it off, or choose another default startup screen from the various functions.

When playing a CD, the X always starts with the CD on Play. This is true even if the CD was paused when the car was turned off. System should remember and go back to what it was before at vehicle start-up. At least the behavior should be configurable. Also, there is no Stop or Power Off capability with the CD. Sometimes I want silence. Yes I can switch to Radio, then turn that off, or switch to A/V input (assuming nothing is connected), but that seems like a kludge to me. And no, I don't want to turn the volume down either...

I would like to see better use of the screen real estate for the Nav screen. Speed limit and time/distance to final destination are two things that come to mind. Yes, I know speed limit is displayed in the message center, but I don't usually have the display up.

There should be a way to backup/restore all the things you have done to personalize MFT (wallpaper, POI, station settings, etc). There is not as far as I can tell.

That is what I can remember off the top of my head. Let me emphasize, I consider all these to be minor issues, even taken together. There is still some work to be done on the UI, but my overall experience has been great. Knock on wood, but I have not had any screen resets, BSOD's, or any other major glitches you see reported here.

Lag issues for me have to do with voice commands. After the lady tells me to say something, I have to hold back saying the commands for a couple seconds longer than you would in a normal conversation. No, not a long time, but if you do not adjust your thinking and response times, voice commands can get frustrating quickly.. You can look at the screen and wait for the status to say "Listening", but this is not the optimum solution while driving!

Still running in "Hold My Hand" mode for voice commands. My main complaint here is that you are forced to say each command individually, then wait for her to complete her spiel before you can say the next command in the chain. You should be able to to say the complete command if you know it.
I can't be sure, since I don't have my Ex yet, but isn't there an Advanced setting for the voice control? Seems to me, from what I've read, that that may eliminate some of your issues. For example, she would no longer say "Say a command", you would just hear the beep and could talk away...

I can't be sure, since I don't have my Ex yet, but isn't there an Advanced setting for the voice control? Seems to me, from what I've read, that that may eliminate some of your issues. For example, she would no longer say "Say a command", you would just hear the beep and could talk away...
That is correct. However, I am still in that intermediate phase where I know some of the commands, but not quite enough yet to feel comfortable switching to Advanced mode.

I would like to see better use of the screen real estate for the Nav screen. Speed limit and time/distance to final destination are two things that come to mind. Yes, I know speed limit is displayed in the message center, but I don't usually have the display up.

Does your Nav screen not show you these things? I know mine shows both the speed limit and time / distance to your final destination on the main Nav screen. (I'm still running v. 2.4) If those things were overlooked in v. 2.8 I guess I won't be updating (I really have no reason to anyway, my 2.4 has been running perfectly fine)

Does your Nav screen not show you these things? I know mine shows both the speed limit and time / distance to your final destination on the main Nav screen. (I'm still running v. 2.4) If those things were overlooked in v. 2.8 I guess I won't be updating (I really have no reason to anyway, my 2.4 has been running perfectly fine)
I didn't think they did, but now that you said 2.4 has them, I'll take a closer look and see if I just overlooked them.

I didn't think they did, but now that you said 2.4 has them, I'll take a closer look and see if I just overlooked them.
OK, my mistake. 2.8 does show them.

Back