Dual Moon Roof, worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual Moon Roof, worth it?

tnkenny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
We are in the process of finding/ordering a 2011 XLT. We hadn't wanted the moon roof, but they found us one with this feature. Is it worth it? I am worried about road noise, added heat in the summer, etc. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't want one at first but it looks so nice from inside the vehicle that I ordered mine with it. I don't have my Explorer yet.

I test drove one with the roof and road noise was not an issue.

Sun is not an issue, just close the shade when its directly overhead.

I just hope it does not leak in the future.

Oh, and I think it's an over priced option!

Did I mention I ordered it anyway...

Our Limited has the dual moon roof: I love it. The extra light that it lets in really makes the cabin seem even that much more spacious. It's also surprisingly quiet when the roof is open. Plus, the sunshade closes to make the cabin darker for movie viewing, or sun glare reduction, so no real downside except cost and potential future problems.

Some have mentioned the rain noise is less with a moon roof. I live in Vancouver, and while it rains so much here, since I got the Ex about 2 weeks ago, we haven't had a torrential downpour when I was in the car to hear the noise. I'll report back when it rains heavily again (like that will take long...;))

I bought one without the sunroof. This was one of those "must not have" options. In my case it's a headroom issue. I am tall and hate when I get squeezed into my seat.
Having said that, the X has so much headroom that it would have been fine either way.
Another concern was that every car I've had with a sun roof developed a rattle in their 3rd year or so.

We got it with our new X and love it. The one we test drove had it and our kids love the fact that they can look up and see the airplanes flying overhead.... Plus living in So Cal it is nice to drive with the sunroof open for some fresh air (as fresh as Southern California air can be), without all the noise of rolling down the windows.

One note: I just got my Ex a couple days ago and the wind noise from the open moon roof is fairly pronounced. My old Lincoln Aviator had zero noise, but the little mesh strip that pops up when you open the roof on the new Ex is really noisy, comparatively.

I got one so my boys would have a more open feel in the back seats. I love it and like others have mentioned, the extra light that comes in really gives the vehicle an open air look. I would definitely do it again.

Have it on my Limited & love it. It adds so much light to the cabin. And I love the sun shade for very sunny days.

Get it. It is worth it.

I didn't want one at first but it looks so nice from inside the vehicle that I ordered mine with it. I don't have my Explorer yet.

I test drove one with the roof and road noise was not an issue.

Sun is not an issue, just close the shade when its directly overhead.

I just hope it does not leak in the future.

Oh, and I think it's an over priced option!

Did I mention I ordered it anyway...

I did the same test drove several 2011 explorers and I liked the option so I ordered it!

I have one on my mazda6 and I love it. If the sun gets too warm, I close the shade. We weren't going to order it on my explorer, but we got in one that had the dual, and my husband said ok, we are so far into ordering, what's another 1,500 or whatever it was. I was happy he said that! So, we added it on. I don't have mine yet, sometime in June. Can't wait. I don't think you will be unhappy with it!

Worth it. I'm 6' 5"...headroom is no problem.

our vehicle was bought off the lot, so it did not have moonroof, but if we would have ordered the vehicle, I think we would have gone with this added option

We bought our XLT off the lot and it did not have a moonroof. We really wanted one but didn't want to wait and the XLTs with the moonroof were hard to come by in the St. Louis area. The dealer will be installing one for us soon at their cost. We drove several Limiteds the had the moonroof and we loved it but opted to spend less and get the XLT. Totally worth the money to have it installed. The roof ribs are the same so adding one is no problem. The dealer warranties the install for the life of the vehicle.

Eman846,

Can you let us know how this turned out? Black XLT w/ a moonroof is nearly impossible to find in my area, so I am considering having the dealer install it. Is the dealer installed moonroof exactly the same as factory? What's the dealers cost? Thanks.

I was quoted $1595 for the moonroof, which is what is listed on Ford's site when you build your own vehicle. Since it is much easier to install at the factory I am not balking at that price, if that really is the price. It is supposed to be exactly like the factory install. The dealer is currently overwhelmed with a large supply of hail damaged cars and have put me on the back burner so to speak while they are dealing with that situation. As soon as the installation is complete I will post before and after pics.

I was quoted $1595 for the moonroof, which is what is listed on Ford's site when you build your own vehicle. Since it is much easier to install at the factory I am not balking at that price, if that really is the price. It is supposed to be exactly like the factory install. The dealer is currently overwhelmed with a large supply of hail damaged cars and have put me on the back burner so to speak while they are dealing with that situation. As soon as the installation is complete I will post before and after pics.

Call me crazy, I would never want a dealer installed moonroof, I would only go with factory installed, even though they are supposed to be "identical".

The dealer has an outside contractor do the install and guarantees the install for the life of the vehicle no matter who owns it. Not much more to ask for.

I have the factory moonroof, but I'm really interested in seeing the final installation pics. Please come back and show us what the aftermarket moonroof looks like.

I ordered one without it because thought it was really an overpriced option (and I never used the moonroofs on my old cars). Having actually seen it when at the dealer to pick my Explorer up, I kind of regret not getting it because it looks really good and would seem to provide a more light and airy feel. If you can afford it, don't worry about it and order it. I was budget strained (and cheap) and decided to get AWD/4WD (which I will infrequently use but probably don't need) to a moonroof (which I initially thought I would rarely use, but now think I might have ended up using more than the AWD/4WD).

Still, no regrets. The Explorer has been great so far.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@ timilicia, the moonroof is not aftermarket. It is the Ford moonroof so it should look no different.

Back