Aftermarket wheels | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

thank you sir! nitto makes the terra grappler in that size i just found out. cheapest i saw them was 160 plus shipping, locally my dealer is offering 225 installed per.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow - those Nitto Terra Grapplers look nice. Would 265/50/20 work on the Limited?

thank you sir! nitto makes the terra grappler in that size i just found out. cheapest i saw them was 160 plus shipping, locally my dealer is offering 225 installed per.
Keep in mind that the manual doesn't recommend off roading with the 20" tire. I think the main reason for that is to prevent damage to the wheel since there isn't much distance between the rim and the road (rocks).

Hey if your interested in selling your stock limited 20's" let me know. I'm looking for another set.

Has anyone added aftermarket wheels to their X yet? I thought I did my research and ordered a set of highend 22" wheels and tires and when they came in and had one mounted for fitment they looked very cheap like something you might find at Pepboys. I am starting the search all over again. I know they stock wheels are nice but want to personalize the X since their are 2 in the area now exactly like ours. Post your pics if you have any. i have seen the SEMA rides but 2 of them are 24"s and do not want to go that big.

Well I too was curious about aftermarket wheels. With this vehicle being so new it seems there are not a whole lot of pictures or discussions about aftermarket wheels.

What wheels did you order that did not look good? Just curious.

I just ordered a white XLT and was looking at adding some 22's as I like to customize my wheels.

Here is what I was thinking: Baccarat Phang Wheels in Black and Chrome:

http://www.kxwheels.com/wheel/baccarat-wheels-phang-black/1416

I ordered Vossen 078s and they looked tiny and cheap even though they aren't. I think the secret is to get a flat lip that has a bit of a concave shape to it otherwise the wheels look small. The other think to keep in mind is that a black wheel gets lost with the black of the tire then the wheel well trip on top of it. i thought about the Fangs in chrome but I figured they were a little to blingy for my wife since the will be driving it the most. The Linc is cool too.

what about somone puttin on some 70 series 17's and giving it a more musculer look?

what about somone puttin on some 70 series 17's and giving it a more musculer look?

If it was my main driver I might do that but since my wife is mainly driving we are going this route. I think white on white would look cool. White powder coated KMC Monsters with All Terrains and a leveling kit (at least) if they ever come out with anything.

I saw this one the other day. I didn't care for the look...

SU1HMDE4NDAtMjAxMTA1MDMtMTA1OC5qcGc.jpg

I always see cool rims on Toyota FJs...

FJC-Black.jpg

I'm not liking that Explorer with the 17"s(?).
Initially, I was thinking about performance tires, but now that I know the Explorer is still a truck at heart I'm thinking something like those FJ wheels would be cool.

IMO those wheels only made that X look uglier.

I like the look of the stock 20's, just trying to find time to go have the powdercoated to make them a little different than the rest.....

I like the offroad inspired rims, similar to the FJs.
Not into the 22" plus sizes.

I'm gonna stick with the polished aluminum 20's for now

Per my wheel guy they the bolt pattern fits but the Edge wheels have a much larger center bore. He said he is not sure if the make a hub ring to fit put said you could get some made. The Edge wheels are nice wheels but if you are paying full price for them you would be better getting aftermarket.

im pretty sure the center bore is the same since my new limited wheels went on the edge sport without an issue suggesting the center bore is the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These are the new Utility (Ex) Interceptor wheels. Notice the ventilation for the huge rotors. 30% more swept area. Probably be good winter wheels with snow tires mounted. Tested 50MPH into a curb without major damage. These will be on both the sedan and Utility Interceptor.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Back