Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Moo;

How much was the install?

Did the installer have any challenges?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the comments.

@Sgt1411: can you post pics of the factory Invision headrests? How do they compare with the original Explorer headrest, and do they support your head the same?

They are taller and thinner with no tilt adjustments.

I will post some pics, my Ex is getting new side mirror LED lenses and another SYNC v2.8 update today so it will be a few days.

This is a shot from the backseat

EXDVD.jpg

The total for both headrest was $570. Used them last night with no issues.... They are a little smaller than the factory headrests, but I have never been one who uses the factory headrests when driving anyway so no biggie for me. Ill post some pics when I get a chance... Dealer's onlyl comment was "I love this truck"...........

Ford OEM DVD Headrest

Just got my 2011 explorer last week and want dvd headrests. Should I get the Ford ones? What price did you guys pay installed for the Ford ones? Is a 7" screen to small? I have Pecan seats the head rests are black. Anyone think the aftermarket ones will match? I think dealer is trying to rip me off :(

Just got my 2011 explorer last week and want dvd headrests. Should I get the Ford ones? What price did you guys pay installed for the Ford ones? Is a 7" screen to small? I have Pecan seats the head rests are black. Anyone think the aftermarket ones will match? I think dealer is trying to rip me off :(

Do some research on some of the older threads talking about DVD systems.

Ford system is by Invision, Ford just authorizes them as the official licenced DVD system. The Invision "Revolution "LT" series system ranges from $1899 retail to $1299 dealer cost. Check Ebay too, lots on there.

Good system but as others on this forum have mentioned there are other systems (like the one pictured in this thread) that are very nice for much less $$$

Many have also suggested dual iPad systems with headrest brackets providing power and wireless audio would be a better alternative.

Great write up and looks very good.

My DVD headrests are going to be installed at the dealer on Monday. They charged me 1550.00 installed which was included when I purchased the car, because they essentially forgot them on the order.

They ordered them directly from Invision and I saw them yesterday. Thanks to Sgt1411 who told me exactly which kind to get. Which are the LED LCD screens, and have the USB port.

I like the fact they match the 3/36K warranty and are the officially licensed product but is that worth 1K more, probably NOT :salute:

I just ordered a pair A's well. Pease let me know how hard it was to install the wiring to the fuse box.

Great thread and nice install write up SteveW! I just got my Explorer yesterday (without DVD) and the first thing I want to do is install an aftermarket system. I am very intrigued by the ones offered at onefair.com but it seems everyone that has one here so far has one in black or charcoal. Anyone have one of these type of systems in the LT Stone color or know of another system with a good color match for this color interior? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

my Ex is getting new side mirror LED lenses

LED side mirror lenses??! Is there an actual LED replacement for the puddle lights? Please explain this in a bit more detail.
Thanks

LED side mirror lenses??! Is there an actual LED replacement for the puddle lights? Please explain this in a bit more detail.
Thanks

Sorry I was referring to the LED turn signal lens built into the side mirrors, mine had too much moisture

Somebody else on this forum had done the research on the LED lamp replacements for almost all the OEM interior and exterior bulbs.

Check the previous threads on lighting.

Great thread and nice install write up SteveW! I just got my Explorer yesterday (without DVD) and the first thing I want to do is install an aftermarket system. I am very intrigued by the ones offered at onefair.com but it seems everyone that has one here so far has one in black or charcoal. Anyone have one of these type of systems in the LT Stone color or know of another system with a good color match for this color interior? Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Go to Ebay there are tons on there in your colours.

Also consider the iPad solution others have done.

CDN I was excited also LED puddle lights, way cool. I order my interior LEDs today, thanks for the help.

Another succesful install on my 2012 Limited thanks to SteveW25561. I assume your fusebox cover didn't go back on either?

I'd like to resurrect this thread, because I am interested in adding DVD headrests to my Ex. I had a couple of questions:

1) Can anyone who has installed the Eonon or Autotain units give an updated review? How are they working? Any issues?

2) Anyone found a unit that matches the "Med. Light Stone" interior? It looks to be somewhere between the "Grey" and "Tan" that those companies offer. Anyone found an acceptable solution?

3) According to the Ford Shop installation instructions, they use a "jumper harness" to extract power from one of the connectors under the dash (near the fuse panel) (Step F of the instructions). This seems like a pretty clean solution, but I can't figure out how I might order just that part... Anyone have an idea? It seems to be called "Power Cord #9", but there isn't any sort of part # that I can find....

I'd like to resurrect this thread, because I am interested in adding DVD headrests to my Ex. I had a couple of questions:

1) Can anyone who has installed the Eonon or Autotain units give an updated review? How are they working? Any issues?

2) Anyone found a unit that matches the "Med. Light Stone" interior? It looks to be somewhere between the "Grey" and "Tan" that those companies offer. Anyone found an acceptable solution?

I'll second this, I'd like to know the answers to the first 2 questions myself. Anyone? Thanks!

Update on my experience:

I wrote up the install pics. My units are the Eonon ones from eBay.

The units themselves are working well -- the screens are good, and the kids love the headphones. The battery life on the headphones is impressive -- I'm just charging them now after regular weekend useage over the summer on road trips (5 months).

The screen quality is quite good. The kids love being able to share or watch indepdently. In a pinch the FM transmission works OK but has considerable loss of fidelity and some static from time to time -- I don't think there's a way to make it much better -- I routed the FM antennas as far back as possible (see my install).

Downsides:
One of the screens doesn't always latch down properly -- it pops open a bit -- despite this, the DVD still plays. Eonon is willing to exchange it w/o a problem but the disadvantage is taking it back out and shipping to China. My 6 yo daughter is OK with it.

As expected, the angle of the headrest is quite a bit leaned back vs the Ford factory headrests. I'd bet my head is about 3 inches further away from the Ford headrests. One day, I might just try bending the metal mounting posts of the DVD headrests so they lean forward (if I do, I'll first clamp the top part of the metal arms, then pull them to an angle (I think around 15 degrees would be plenty) -- you wouldn't want to torque against the plastic part where the metals arms insert). This wouldn't be enough to compromise the wiring, and might make the viewing angle better in the back seat as well.

All in all, I love the headrests. I like the zipper to hide them, and no one I've shown them to can believe the price.

You might want to try a tubing bender, so it doesn't kink the tubes.....

Great idea. I'll look into them. Are they available cheaply and easily @ Home Depot? I've not used these before. I'll look locally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As expected, the angle of the headrest is quite a bit leaned back vs the Ford factory headrests. I'd bet my head is about 3 inches further away from the Ford headrests. One day, I might just try bending the metal mounting posts of the DVD headrests so they lean forward (if I do, I'll first clamp the top part of the metal arms, then pull them to an angle (I think around 15 degrees would be plenty) -- you wouldn't want to torque against the plastic part where the metals arms insert). This wouldn't be enough to compromise the wiring, and might make the viewing angle better in the back seat as well.

Tilt.jpg

This one tilts...

http://www.onfair.com/products.php?...Headrest-Monitor-LCD-DVD-Player-Cover#reviews

Back