• Register Today It's free!

Which transfer case do I have?

ponch68

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I have a 97 Explorer XLT, VIN # 1FMDU34E3VUB80907. It has 206,000 miles and my transfer case is gone for the third time. I had it rebuilt by a local shop here in San Antonio, Nogalitos Gear. Obviously a bad choice. I even took it back before the warranty expired the 2nd time, but they didnt find any issues. 30 days later, it went out again. So, I'm going to a junk yard in Austin to pick one up tomorrow. I found a website that said I had a Borg Warner 4405 with ID #F57A-7A195-CA. Since I can't see it on the mounted transfer case(I can see Borg Warner and my receipt does say 4405), can I assume the ID is correct based on the VIN? I'm trying to avoid pulling the old one until I have a new one ready to go up, but no returns once purchased. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Judging by your VIN, you have the SOHC 4.0 v6 which means that your truck has a Borg Warner 4405.

Make sure it comes from a 97 though, because you have a CV style front shaft setup like 98+ but 98+ does not have the speed sensor in the t-case like you need and the 95 and 96 4405 uses a different front driveshaft. Just a heads up.

wrong t-case

Thanks for the info! Went to take a look at one today. Definitely the wrong one out of an 95, but had the ID I thought I needed. So I might have misunderstood the type of transfer case I have. My selector switch has three setting: Auto, Hi, and Low. So is this a PT electric shift or a an AWD? That should point me properly. I've been saying PT, but suspect it may be fulltime AWD. Thoughts?

You firstly understood correct, you have a 4405 but their were 3 versions. If you want to use a 95/96 front driveshaft then you can use a 95/96 t-case. You have an A4wd case all 95-01 4.0 4wd's had this type of transfer case.

Thanks

Glen, I appreciate the info. Theres a local yard that has a '98 T-case that looked like mine, but the ID number was slightly different at the beginning. If it'll work, I'd be saving about $200:)

No, the 98 transfer case does not have the speed sensor in the tail like 95-97.

Got it. Looks Like Ill be dropping mine and driving to houston to pick one up. No worries, theres a WS6 hood for my 98 TA that I can pick up at the same time(I hope!)

you can't drive your ex without a t-case :)

Yep its a part time 4wd with an auto function that kicks the tc into 4wd when the wheel sensors detect slippage.

Dumb Question

What would happen if a 98 Tcase was installed in a 97?????

Trying to help someone out.....Thanks

No more speedometer, rear ABS won't work, and shifting issues. The vehicle speed sensor is in the the rear output of the 97 transfer case, in 98 Ford moved it to the rear differential.

Yeah no more speedometer if you install a 98+tcase.

Well crap, Thanks for answering my question guys, But better then selling someone a worthless tcase :(

Well, I chose to pull the transfer case and have it looked at one more time. Spending $500 and drivng 200 miles didnt seem prudent for a used TC. Anyway, shop said everything looked good except the rear drum was a bit worn. Had them replace and put it in. Now, any time I go above 50ish MPH and release the gas, I get the high pitched whirring sound I've had before. Under 50 works great. My four tires all match and were purchased at the same time. So I'm thinking/hoping the BWM might do something for me. I never use the 4WD and would be perfectly happy staying in 2 WD if it fixes the probelm. Thoughts? I'm at my wits end, the next step will probably be to ditch the whole damm thing.

Ok.....umm how about you unplug the the wiring harness from the transfer case under the truck, let it sit for 10 mins afterwards then take it for a drive and see if it continues then I would say you need to take the case back to the shop that just attempted to fix it.

Not that I'm getting any smarter, but was thinking the same thing. Will let you know! I appreciate your insight.

Not that I'm getting any smarter, but was thinking the same thing. Will let you know! I appreciate your insight.

You're learning though at least. Good luck.

So I see the brown wire is part of the large connector. Any issues with me disconnecting the whole thing or do I have to seperate only the brown wire? What other indications or issues will I create by disconnecting the plug?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah...forgot you have a 97 so you would lose your speedo the way I was thinking of doing it. You're best to cut the brown wire inside the truck, either in the dash or by the driver side seat.

Back