tranny lockup 92 v6 4wd 5 speed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tranny lockup 92 v6 4wd 5 speed

ecreek

Reaction score
City, State
Wolf Point, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
my transmission locks up when trying to go forward. grinding/whirring sounds occur when trying to go fwd. sometimes the truck will go for quite a few feet fwd before it starts to grind & lockup. anyone got a fix for this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ranger tranny lockup

Forgot 2 mention it's a Ranger Extra cab.

not clutch

clutch engages strong. after a few feet of travel the rig comes to a grinding lurching halt as if 2 gears were engaged at once and the engine bogs down under strain, the clutch still firmly engaged. i cant help but wonder if the transfer case is partially engaged. is there an elec motor that does the engaging?

It probably leaked out all the trans fluid is now burned up, very common on stick shifts. We get 1 or 2 year towed in a year for this concern at the dealership cause nobody ever check manual trans fluid levels.

lockup

checked the fluid. plenty of it, clean, no metal filings, grit. i raised the vehicle up on all 4's. started & put it in 1st. when i let out the clutch pedal there's a ratcheting/clacking sound that seems to be coming from the tranny. also, the "rear antilock" indicator was lit the whole time. with the engine off, i spun the right rear tire a& didnt get any rotation from left rear. ne1 know whats going on. i'll do some more checks in the meantime.

Yeah your trans is gone. Rebuild time

why would it be the tranny though if only one wheel spins. i mean when i spin one of my rear wheels the other turns the other wheel. if it wasnt for the noise he was hearing i would say rear end.

If you don't have a rear limited slip, only 1 wheel turns. Op what's your axle code on the door jam? Whatever it is look up what the code means.

Back