Streaky Windows | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Streaky Windows

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Streaks

Build 4-20-11 Streaks

I have streaks also. Mine was built in December and I bought it on January 8. Did not notice them at first, I think it was after I had it washed that I first noticed them and thought it was just water that was stuck down in the door panels because it seemed like it would "clear up" on its own, and then next time I rolled the window down it would be there again. I never touched the lines until I read this post and now I know it's some kind of oily residue.

I am wondering if there has been any "fix" for this yet, because I'm not going to take it in to the dealer to fix until they know what to do.

+1. Streaks. Add it to the list.

I just noticed the streaks yesterday. Not a real big issue compared to other things that people have exprienced, but annoying none the less...

Dajen, I’m sorry I missed your post before. Have you scheduled an appointment yet to go to the dealer to have this resolved? Please let me know if you’d like help with this. I have your Explorer’s info so all would need is your dealer name and approximate mileage.

For anyone else who is experiencing this issue, feel free to send me the above information including the VIN. I’ll do everything I can to assist with getting this taken care of.

Cory

I just noticed the streaks yesterday. Not a real big issue compared to other things that people have exprienced, but annoying none the less...
I have this problem as well but found that if I lower the window completely, then there are no streaks when you put all the way back up. This solves the problem but doesn't fix it.

You’re welcome. I’m here to help, so please don’t hesitate to message me anytime!

Cory

cory,

had a dec 10 build and bought early jan. have almost 7k miles. have had streaky windows (all 4) since beginning. was hoping it was just some residual oil from build and would wear off, but no luck. been pretty frustrating.

plz let me know if there has been any kind of fix.

thank you,
jeff

I think every 2011 Explorer has this problem. I going to wait until there is a permanent fix for this before I take it in to the dealer.

I do have a good way of cleaning the windows. Spray some "Goo Gone" spray gel on a damp towel and clean window inside and out, then dry off with a microfiber rag. Works great.

peterk9 & Stang Cobra, thank you for posting that feedback.

3delis, I’m sorry to hear about how frustrating this is, and I received your private message. I sent you a reply, so please check your inbox for the details.

Cory

Is there a fix for this that dealers are aware of and performing with success?

The streaks are pretty annoying.

Is there a fix for this that dealers are aware of and performing with success?

The streaks are pretty annoying.
I checked to see if there has been a special fix but nothing has been officially released yet. From what I've found it's related to the window chattering on the dust seal lip of the window channel. If I find out anything about an official release, I will post here to let you know.

Cory

The steaks are annoying so I hope Ford does address this

Has anyone tried spraying the dust seal with 303 or Rain-X window cleaner? Mine isn't doing it anymore (today) so no point for me.

i just rolled the windows down after getting the front two tinted and streaks are so much worse...... with the tint it looks so freiken bad to see several lines from end to end.

I've cleaned both strips with various cleaners since March ( windex, spray nine, rain X) nothing seems to work to get rid of the whatever the oil is as they continue to streak. Waiting patiently at this point to see what Ford comes up with as a cause and solution.

Has anyone tried spraying the dust seal with 303 or Rain-X window cleaner? Mine isn't doing it anymore (today) so no point for me.
I’m glad to hear your Explorer doesn’t have the streaks, but for those that are still experiencing the issue and haven’t already done so, please send me a message with the details I mentioned above.

Cory

I have this problem as well but found that if I lower the window completely, then there are no streaks when you put all the way back up. This solves the problem but doesn't fix it.
UPDATE: Just checked my window again and I noticed that there is a vertical mark left on the window by what appears to be a roller inside the door (had not noticed this before). This streak. about an inch wide, is on the outside of the window. The horizontal streaks are left by what Cory refers to as the dust seals of the window channel and were mostly on the inside. I stopped the window 3 times as I lowered it and that resulted in 3 horizontal streaks in places corresponding to the window and channel seal location at each stop.
I would think that the only way to prevent this is to clean all these contact points with something like rubbing alcohol or a similar cleaner. :scratch:

Has anyone had any success in getting this cleared up, either by themselves or through their dealer?

Peter

Randy, assuming you did have the problem before, what, if anything did you do to clear it up?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just PMed Cory but me +1. My windows are coated in a very viscous grease. It is think enough that at night my side views look blurry. Its very tough to clean off as anything water based like windex seems to make it just smear around.

Back