• Register Today It's free!

Lift gate woes.

rlrocha7

Reaction score
City, State
Irving, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello All, Happy Memorial Day. I am Richard and I am a newbie with a question about my 2000 explorer xlt. The lift gate will not open and I cannot find a way to access the latch. I took off the name plate on the lift gate and their was no access behind the license plate either. How do I get to the latch so I can open the lift gate?
Thanks for your help.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome richard

Hello,
I run a '91 but I know that the only access is from the interior, behind the trim and a vapor barrier.

I'm sure others have been in your postion, try the search features at the top of the page for some answers. If that doesn't work out try the Stock '95-'01 Forum, they may have the answers you look for.

Edit: Should have read "the only access (to the mechanism) that I know of is from the interior..."

Hello,
I run a '91 but I know that the only access is from the interior, behind the trim and a vapor barrier. .

AFAIK the lock can be locked and unlocked with either the power locks or the keyhole in the button. The liftgate door handle is under the nameplate, The glass is opened by pushing the keyhole button.

If the door handle under the nameplate is missing, then you will undoubtedly have to remove the interior trim and find the rods that attach the handle to the latches on both sides.
best of luck

Rockauto sells a replacement handle for $14.70 + shipping
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=971237

Back