Need SUV. Around 40K to spend. Help wanted. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need SUV. Around 40K to spend. Help wanted.

Chicago Lion

Reaction score
I am in need of a new car and want an SUV. I want 4 wheel drive/AWD, seven seats and a reliable vehicle. I don't do any real off road driving, but we do get a good bit of snow here in Chicago. So far, the explorer(limited 2012) is my leader. My current car is a 1994 honda accord which I have driven since 1994. I am really out of the loop on buying a car or even new options on cars(ie remote unlock, seat warmers, etc..)

I have a few questions. ...

1)What else would you recommend I give a good look at(even if its a bit more expensive) and why do you think I might like that car better?

2) If I go with the explorer, what options do you love? Which options do you think I should avoid?

3) How do you evaluate a Ford dealership? or any other dealership for that matter?

4) would you buy your explorer again?

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey I have an 07 x. Retail around 35k. Got it for around 20 shipped a little used. 15kmiles. I love mine. Deff get a sunroof. I miss my old one. The backup sensor is a great feature. I built my own nav pod for my tomtom but I hear the nav in the stockers is great. I could not see myself owning anything other than an explorer. I had a 99 a few years back and loved it and I got another and its absolutely amazing. Also Check out the thread "exploded". That will show how amazingly safe the vehicles are made. You said you live in chicago? I would get a decent pair of snow tires. 4wd a must. I have the v6 and its good for what I do but if you want more low end power and towing capacity I would look into the v8. But Im happy that you are looking into the X's. The new gen's seem to have a lot of bugs in the system . Some people dont have any problems some people actually have been trying to return theirs back to the dealership. Just a heads up. But You cant go wrong with a 3rd or 4th gen. Not sure if you are into modding your vehicle but my 07 interior is a dream to work with. very easy replacing stock headunit and replacing stock speakers. You can actually hide 0gauge wire no problem. Im sure I forgot something so anyone else finish it off!

Good luck!

You may also want to look into a Honda Pilot. Top of the line is only around $35k and has most if not all features of the Ex. While waiting for the Ex. to be built, I shopped around to see what other cheaper but equally good options were out there. The Pilot is pretty roomy, fits three car seats in the second row comfortably and has a pretty solid track record.

The redesigned Ex. was definitely on the top of my list but I think I will personally wait till the 2013 revision - after they work out some of the kinks to make the purchase.

Sorry the thread is "4th Gen VERY SAFE and don't drive tired!!"

How about a nice Tahoe?

KIDDING!!!

I drive a 2010 Expedition (5.4L) at work and love it. It feels more like an Explorer then the new one does. As long as you turn off (as much as it will let you) the traction control. It is a bit obtrusive on the default setting. Maybe look at a lease return?

Hope I'm not banished for this...:D

Tahoe! Tahoe! Tahoe! Tahoe! Tahoe!

...and the infomercial bit...15 mpg city, 21 mpg highway; user selectable 4WD, with auto; tows more than 7,300 lbs; Onstar; Hybrid option...

And while this would be perfectly viable west of the Rocky Mountains, I remember having read somethings about the Tahoe's being perfect theft vehicles in your area, (don't know if this has been fixed in the newer model years, it was an early 07-08? problem). So, actually I would probably stay away from these awesome vehicles in Chicago (unless its been fixed, although you might still end up with a shattered windows.) My runner up would be the Honda Pilot, although the interior of the new Explorers is quite nice.

Regarding the Dealership experience.... Make a trip to a pawn shop, then a strip club, then a used car dealer. After conditioning yourself with those three, the Ford dealership will be much more tolerable.

Seriously though- my only good experience with a dealer was email-only with a the internet sales rep. The walk-in experiences fit the stereotypes. The sales people were typically courteous enough up front but failed to follow through, understandable I guess but frustrating all the same. Our sales rep seemed like a decent guy right up until the paperwork. At that point he turned sleeze and tried to sneek in a $100 bump in price, etc. Really disappointing.

As far as choice of vehicles, I looked at LOTS of choices before buying our Explorer. Made in America was important to me. The Pilot has more interior space but is much more utilitarian inside- not as nice as the Explorer.

I am in need of a new car and want an SUV. I want 4 wheel drive/AWD, seven seats and a reliable vehicle. I don't do any real off road driving, but we do get a good bit of snow here in Chicago. So far, the explorer(limited 2012) is my leader. My current car is a 1994 honda accord which I have driven since 1994. I am really out of the loop on buying a car or even new options on cars(ie remote unlock, seat warmers, etc..)

I have a few questions. ...

1)What else would you recommend I give a good look at(even if its a bit more expensive) and why do you think I might like that car better?

2) If I go with the explorer, what options do you love? Which options do you think I should avoid?

3) How do you evaluate a Ford dealership? or any other dealership for that matter?

4) would you buy your explorer again?

Thanks in advance

I might look at an Acadia, that was our second choice. The reason the Explorer won was the plethora of features that the Acadia didn't have and the interior of the Explorer is really nice.

As far as this forum goes, you have to take the criticisms with a grain of salt. People rarely go on a forum to cheerlead for the car, most come to find answers for particular issues and to complain. Yes the explorer does have bugs (particularly with the MFT), but if you are willing to live with a few software bugs now and again (which hopefully should be ironed out soon), the Explorer IMHO is the best car out there for the money. I do have to say that I enjoy MFT a lot despite its flaws. I find myself playing with it whenever I can because it is very neat and something not found in any car we looked at.

Features I love:
1.) self park feature (although I haven't used it yet)
2.) Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) - it's great - it lights up a little indicator in your side mirrors when someone is in your blind spot. Also comes with collision warning - has a red strip of lights and an audible alarm when someone stops in front of you suddenly. It also pre-charges the brakes for better response.
3.) My Ford Touch (MFT) and Synch
4.) Nav is probably a good thing to have, its not the best (i.e. garmin probably is better), but it would look funny having a 8 inch lcd screen with a dash mounted garmin.
5.) Backup camera with cross path detection - warns you when you are backing up and someone is approaching from either side.
6.) Cooled seats - it's actually a really nice feature (one that I didn't think I'd like).

The power lift gate and power third row seats are nice, but not indispensible, my family opted for the second row captains chairs because we want the third row to be more usable. Getting this option also seems to provide a bit more space in the second row as well (I think you can slide the captains chairs back a hair from where the bench seats are).

Sorry the thread is "4th Gen VERY SAFE and don't drive tired!!"

do you have a link?

I think the new explorer probably fits you best. The only other thing I would suggest would be the new Durango w/hemi

In response to get the sport trac, they aren't making them anymore. I had thought about one of those, but my dealer said they aren't making them anymore.

Back