• Register Today It's free!

best fluid choice, M5OD?

davy crockett

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XL
Just in the process of doing the clutch on my '93 X so I'm going to do a fluid change at the same time. Since Mercon III is gone now what are guys using, Mercon V? and is it worth going to a synthetic fluid and if so which one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

It was a little pricey at like $8 / quart and it took just under 3 quarts..so $24 total, but it shifts quite nice and doesn't seem to foam as bad as the cheaper stuff.

Total quarts/ litres

Was that approx. 3 litres from completely dry ? Can't find the capacity anywhere :-( BN

I would go with synthetic. If you switch the fluids for the whole vehicle to synthetic it should help with mileage.

Was that approx. 3 litres from completely dry ? Can't find the capacity anywhere :-( BN

I believe it's 2.5 quarts.

The way I did it was I filled it from the shifter, left the fill plug open and filled it until I heard fluid dribbling out. Then obviously reattached the shifter.

i use m1 full syn atf, i flushed the entire system and replaced it all, but i got it on sale for 4.5 a bottle cause i bought a case, round 8ea if not in bulk, but works tons better, both the Explorer and Wifes van shifts smoother and temp stays lower

Back