Remote starter options | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote starter options

has anyone found anything out about carlink? if i have the factory remote start installed can i add carlink?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

has anyone found anything out about carlink? if i have the factory remote start installed can i add carlink?

thanks

I went to a Carlink dealer last Saturday and they could not confirm whether it works. They said they need the Prestige/Code Alarm model number, if it is indeed manufactured by them.
I tried to locate my remote starter module but could not. We need to know what kind of connectors it has.
If anyone finds it and can take a picture let us know.
Of if anyone has access to Ford parts (number BB5Z-19G364-A) please take some photos.

Ford’s accessory catalog lists the Remote Start System as:

BB5Z-19G364-A
Series 100, Plug ‘n Play,
4-Button Key Fob, For
Vehicles w/o Power Liftgate,
w /Power Locks.

BT5Z-19G366-A
Hood Switch Kit. Only
Required if Vehicle is Not
Already Equipped.

Plug ‘n Play? Does this mean that I could easily install the system in my vehicle? If so just buy the system and save some money. Does anyone have a copy of the installation manual?

Notpur said:
Ford’s accessory catalog lists the Remote Start System as:

BB5Z-19G364-A
Series 100, Plug ‘n Play,
4-Button Key Fob, For
Vehicles w/o Power Liftgate,
w /Power Locks.

BT5Z-19G366-A
Hood Switch Kit. Only
Required if Vehicle is Not
Already Equipped.

Plug ‘n Play? Does this mean that I could easily install the system in my vehicle? If so just buy the system and save some money. Does anyone have a copy of the installation manual?

Yeah I'm beginning to think all they did was install a hood switch kit (I can verify that) and gave me a new set of keys. Everything else was done in software...as I cannot see any sign if modification anywhere in the car.

Does anyone have a copy of the installation manual?

I asked the same thing. According to my dealer, it required programming with a device that only the dealer has access to for programming the keys, etc.

I picked up our XLT on 4/1 from dealer inventory. I really wanted to wait to find the "right" model, but also wanted to surprise my wife at her baby shower a week later.

By doing that, I missed out on a couple of options I really would have liked - power 3rd row, tow package, BLIS, Navigation and Remote Start

I should be able to add navigation and remote start since these are modular systems. But, according to the link and part number everyone is posting, I can't install these remote start systems because I have the power lift gate. Is this because of the keypad? Or is there some other reason? Is there a factory option for remote start WITH power lift gate? Please help. It's 100 degrees already in southeast Texas and the wife and newborn need a cool ride!

I don't think they list one.

I picked up our XLT on 4/1 from dealer inventory. I really wanted to wait to find the "right" model, but also wanted to surprise my wife at her baby shower a week later.

By doing that, I missed out on a couple of options I really would have liked - power 3rd row, tow package, BLIS, Navigation and Remote Start

I should be able to add navigation and remote start since these are modular systems. But, according to the link and part number everyone is posting, I can't install these remote start systems because I have the power lift gate. Is this because of the keypad? Or is there some other reason? Is there a factory option for remote start WITH power lift gate? Please help. It's 100 degrees already in southeast Texas and the wife and newborn need a cool ride!
i was told at the dealership that you can have both. the reason none come with both options is because the key has a spot for one feature, so most "loaded" models have the power lift gate instead. i was advised that they can easily add the factory remote start into the vehicle but then you'd have an extra key fob for your key ring.

Ask your dealer, they should have a definitive answer. I guess you get a different remote starter module if you have the power lift gate - because of the additional button. So in your case it would be a separate transmitter on your keychain.
....at which point you might consider getting a 3rd party remote starter - code alarm, or prestige....they are compatible with the CarLink smartphone module. (something I still haven't been able to add to my OEM system)

Ask your dealer, they should have a definitive answer. I guess you get a different remote starter module if you have the power lift gate - because of the additional button. So in your case it would be a separate transmitter on your keychain.
....at which point you might consider getting a 3rd party remote starter - code alarm, or prestige....they are compatible with the CarLink smartphone module. (something I still haven't been able to add to my OEM system)

Greg,

Since this is the wife's car I'm more interested in keeping things sanely stock. I have a friend who works as an installer, but I don't want anyone cutting into harnesses. I'd rather a plug & play option. The extra transmitter wouldn't be a problem on her keychain, a mild inconvenience for mine. I wonder if the panic button could be programmed to act as a remote start trigger? As in pressing it twice in succession vs. holding it down.

I looked into those options and found that the power 3rd row seats, tow package, BLIS, and Navigation can’t be added to your Explorer. However, I did find that there is a Bi-Directional remote start that can be added! You can go to the URL http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Explorer~2011~BB5Z_19G364_E for more details. The advantage is that instead of 300’, you will have up to 1000’! I hope that helps!

Cory

I looked into those options and found that the power 3rd row seats, tow package, BLIS, and Navigation can’t be added to your Explorer. However, I did find that there is a Bi-Directional remote start that can be added! You can go to the URL http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/catalog.do?prodInfo=Explorer~2011~BB5Z_19G364_E for more details. The advantage is that instead of 300’, you will have up to 1000’! I hope that helps!

Cory

Cory,

Thank you. I'll put it on my list of things to consider seriously. Is there any truth to a 5-button key coming out? We have the 4-button now (lock, unlock, panic, lift gate.)

I hope that navigation is able to be added in the future (started a different thread for that.)

Cory,

Thank you. I'll put it on my list of things to consider seriously. Is there any truth to a 5-button key coming out? We have the 4-button now (lock, unlock, panic, lift gate.)

I hope that navigation is able to be added in the future (started a different thread for that.)
I haven’t heard of any 5-button key-fobs coming out in the near future, or the ability to add the navigation, but I’ll let you know if I hear anything!

Cory

Looks like really plug and play...

I got my BB5Z-19G364-A Remote Starter kit today. It contains... 2 keys and that's it. I sent an e-mail to the dealer where I got it to ask if something was missing (something like a control module or similar). Got also the hood switch which is required.

However,I somewhat got to a page where the installation instructions were and, surprise, description for the kit is just the two 4-button keys. Reading thru the instructions, the only need you need to do is install the Hood Switch (which looks like it is done without even a screwdriver...), cutting the keys to match the original, and program them as you do for any extra key. No computer hookup or reflashing or reprogramming.

I paid US$ 201 in total for the kit and hood switch, so if true, I guess that charging US$ 500+ for the installation is kind of a rip-off.

I have not installed it yet, but I believe the instructions are clear enough (if I got the right ones...)

CORRECTION: Read thru the instructions again and you need to connect to a IDS device to activate the remote start in the vehicle.

I got my BB5Z-19G364-A Remote Starter kit today. It contains... 2 keys and that's it. I sent an e-mail to the dealer where I got it to ask if something was missing (something like a control module or similar). Got also the hood switch which is required.

However,I somewhat got to a page where the installation instructions were and, surprise, description for the kit is just the two 4-button keys. Reading thru the instructions, the only need you need to do is install the Hood Switch (which looks like it is done without even a screwdriver...), cutting the keys to match the original, and program them as you do for any extra key. No computer hookup or reflashing or reprogramming.

I paid US$ 201 in total for the kit and hood switch, so if true, I guess that charging US$ 500+ for the installation is kind of a rip-off.

I have not installed it yet, but I believe the instructions are clear enough (if I got the right ones...)

CORRECTION: Read thru the instructions again and you need to connect to a IDS device to activate the remote start in the vehicle.

Rial:

Keep us informed on the progress of your remote start kit. It's looking like there is not that much to it. I think you can get the keys cut by any locksmith and can program at least the lock, unlock, and panic buttons yourself. Good Luck.

Got a confirmation from the dealer:

I am glad to hear that your order has arrived without incident.

The instructions are attached which lists the kit contents & programming instructions. Regarding the Remote Start kit, part number BB5Z-19G364-AA only contains 2 keys with the additional button, as noted on page 2 of the instructions. This is normal contents for this particular kit as no module is nessessary. The keys will interface directly with the existing engine control processor.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Rial:

Will it be necessary to connect to a IDS device to activate it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Notpur

It looks like it will be. I did cut one of the keys today, and will ask the tech guy that does my 1,000 km free check to enable the remote start (as he will heed to hook the computer anyways...) and post back.

I decided not to cut the second key, maybe I will sell it for a profit :D

Back