Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

So, I took my Ex in for a couple of items and had them check for the rain noise issue. The report from the dealer came back that my Ex sounded like the one they have on the lot. Well, no %$##^. I got a blank look when I re-explained the issue.

Then, as I was about to leave my salesman was checking a setting for me and I tapped on the roof to show him the difference in the noise. And, all he said is, "Oh.... I bet that's fixed for the 2012."

I really am mostly entirely happy with my Ex, though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those of you who have sent me their information and haven’t received a message back yet, I appreciate your patience. Please bear with me as I get to your request. Thank you.

For those of you who are experiencing this concern and haven’t contacted me, please message me with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name so I can do everything I can to assist.

Cory

Is there some kind of fix for this? What is happening with Ford on this issue?

This rain noise must be something else!

Exactly. It's farking rain water. No biggie.

If your Ex is normal then congratulations. Please, just ignore this thread. For those of us who find it loud enough to stop normal conversation, it's annoying, and yes, we'd love a fix.

Have a great day.

Lets see who can talk on the phone (via Blue tooth) or do a SYNC voice command when it is pouring down a heavy rain.

Pouring rains makes it sound like marble size hail hitting the front of the vehicle just above the windshield. Had a large bug hit the panel above the windshield and sounded like a rock hitting the vehicle. Had a bell like ringing sound.

Hope to get mine fixed the week, when the body shop takes the head liner down for some hail repairs. I know you think the hail damage was the sound I heard and NO it was not, because the damage was done at a Parking lot.

Would suggest doing a survey on location where the Rain Noise are being reported. I live in NW Arkansas and during April we had a lot of heavy rain.

I love the X even with it small issues. Remember this is a new vehicle and it is hard for the engineers to simulate all the conditions that the vehicle will be exposed to. Yes you might look at us a BETA testers and hope Ford is willing to listen and correct our issues and they are fixed for the 2012's. Your biggest issue is getting the dealers to listen.

It's a highly over-dramatized issue.

No, it's not.

Sound insulation of the cabin is a basic requirment.

The cabin on the Ex is generally a lot more quiet than other vehicles until it rains. Ford made a bad mistake by leaving a hollow area in the roof near the windshield and when it rains it is obnoxiously loud.

Seems like a simple injection of foam insulation will fix the issue, Ford just needs to step up, admit a mistake, and fund a fix.

After my research, I found that engineering is aware of this issue and is looking into a repair but there’s not one at the moment. Until that happens, please continue to PM me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name (if you haven’t already done so). Thank you for your understanding.

Cory

Thanks

After my research, I found that engineering is aware of this issue and is looking into a repair but there’s not one at the moment. Until that happens, please continue to PM me your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name (if you haven’t already done so). Thank you for your understanding.

Cory

Cory,

Thanks for letting us know that Ford recognizes the problem and is looking into it. It is much easier to be patient when we know it is not being ignored.

Cory,

Thanks for letting us know that Ford recognizes the problem and is looking into it. It is much easier to be patient when we know it is not being ignored.
You’re very welcome. I can see what you mean. I’ll do my best to keep you in the loop and relay any available info I receive. Thank you.

Cory

No, it's not.

Sound insulation of the cabin is a basic requirment.

The cabin on the Ex is generally a lot more quiet than other vehicles until it rains. Ford made a bad mistake by leaving a hollow area in the roof near the windshield and when it rains it is obnoxiously loud.

Seems like a simple injection of foam insulation will fix the issue, Ford just needs to step up, admit a mistake, and fund a fix.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, most Canadian owners do not seem to have this problem. This leads me to wonder if vehicles for different markets are perhaps built differently in more ways than we are aware?

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, most Canadian owners do not seem to have this problem. This leads me to wonder if vehicles for different markets are perhaps built differently in more ways than we are aware?

The EXs builts for the American and Canadian market are all the same build etc. The only difference is the Americans are more vocal about it than us Canucs, as always we just sit back and say WHATEVER. The Americans
have the right idea , if something is not right ,they want it fixed and demand a fix. I totally agree as well. Mine makes the same noise as everybody elses, I am just waiting for a fix (TSB) and then I will go in and get it done.

The EXs builts for the American and Canadian market are all the same build etc. The only difference is the Americans are more vocal about it than us Canucs, as always we just sit back and say WHATEVER. The Americans
have the right idea , if something is not right ,they want it fixed and demand a fix. I totally agree as well. Mine makes the same noise as everybody elses, I am just waiting for a fix (TSB) and then I will go in and get it done.
I agree for the most part but I don't believe the builds are identical since there was a rider on my window sticker that said, "This vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US." In any case, I've been through a few downpours and have not noticed any problem with rain noise that was any worse than the Highlanders or any previous vehicles I have driven.

It's a highly over-dramatized issue.
Exactly. It's farking rain water. No biggie.
You two must be deaf.

I too thought it was made to be worse then it seemed, till I was in rain in an 11' Limited. It was ridiculously annoying, and even in heavy rain while driving it was quite louder then my 10 year old Mountaineer. Sorry but for quite an expensive vehicle, that one fault just gives it a feel of "cheapness".

Willing to bet money Ford engineers forgot to test the trucks in rain lol.

usually the difference between a canadian version and american version are the emissions equipment for each country.

I agree for the most part but I don't believe the builds are identical since there was a rider on my window sticker that said, "This vehicle not intended for sale or registration in US." In any case, I've been through a few downpours and have not noticed any problem with rain noise that was any worse than the Highlanders or any previous vehicles I have driven.

I do not expect this issue to be fixed with the 2011. Others have reported, whom have had the headliner area exposed, that the area producing the noise, is inaccessible. I don't think Ford is going to recommend drilling a hole into the exterior, and inject expanable foam.

Hopefully this is being address with the 2012 builds.

I have an idea for the current owners, with this noise issue. I don't know if it has been suggested yet, but what about applying a thick mil 3M type clear bra to the upper, sloped, forward roof section? Would this help to deaded the rain noise? May be worth a shot. This is something I see Ford would pay for as part of a TSB/recall (not really a recall, since it is not a safety related issue).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do not expect this issue to be fixed with the 2011. Others have reported, whom have had the headliner area exposed, that the area producing the noise, is inaccessible. I don't think Ford is going to recommend drilling a hole into the exterior, and inject expanable foam.

Hopefully this is being address with the 2012 builds.

I have an idea for the current owners, with this noise issue. I don't know if it has been suggested yet, but what about applying a thick mil 3M type clear bra to the upper, sloped, forward roof section? Would this help to deaded the rain noise? May be worth a shot. This is something I see Ford would pay for as part of a TSB/recall (not really a recall, since it is not a safety related issue).

I think that would be an acceptable solution.

Back