Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

What would you pick?

• Oem crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Thule Box

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Yakima Box

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I don't have a moon roof, so there's no issue with clearance in that area.
I wonder if I can remove the spacers and gain some forward travel. I am thinking about this because my Thule box is on the long side, and mounted near the rear will bend down the flexible antenna and likely block the Sirius signal.
The spacer is intended for the moon roof installation. No moon roof, I would loose them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree with you Holligl. I bought the cross bars for an occasional need and now that I have the X, like the clean look of the side bars without the cross bars.

I am curious if you have actually mounted the bars yet? I went ahead and put the brackets on so it's ready for use, and then found the bars are actually about 1/8" to wide. I don't have a problem as the side mounts will come off and I'll cut them down, but this is what I get for a production set that only costs me $60.

The brackets install from the rear. Then Install the bars when in position. NOTE: They are different lengths! Make sure you don't reverse the front and rear! Don't go cutting!

I got my crossbars yesterday and watched the servicemen install them. He put on the spacer and then removed them when he saw there was no moon roof. The roof racks and bumper guards were so easy to install and remove you can install it yourself. You could probably remove the spacers if you wanted to.

So how do I remove the spacers? I guess everything slides to the rear. Do the rear end-caps pop off?

So how do I remove the spacers? I guess everything slides to the rear. Do the rear end-caps pop off?
Yes - They snap off with a flat tip screw driver. Slip everything out the back. You may need to grab the spacers with some long nose pliers. Mine went in pretty tight.

Cross rails

Question from a newbie here - outside of ordering the cross rails from the dealership, is there another place/website I can get these from? Also - does the antenna screw off? I need to load a bunkie board on top and I do not want to ruin the antenna.

2011 XLT 4WD :usa:

Thanks, I will try both. Here's another dumb question - if I did not have a trailer package installed, is there anyway I can do it myself?

I assume you mean install a trailer package? Considering, as I understand it, the trailer package includes a transmission cooler and an aux oil cooler, at least I think, your talking about a lot of work up front. I'm sure adding a tow bar isn't a big deal as from the pictures I have seen you just have to drop the exhaust a few inches but the front is a whole different ballgame.

I don't like to leave my crossbars on the vehicle all the time (aesthetics, fuel efficiency, wind noise, etc.). The factory crossbars install by removing the plastic cap at the back end of the rails- do those pieces feel like they will survive multiple/frequent removal?

I'd like to go with the factory crossbars as they look nice and keep everything low to the roof. If frequent removal is going to be an issue I'll go with aftermarket. Any favorites out there for the new Explorer?

I don't like to leave my crossbars on the vehicle all the time (aesthetics, fuel efficiency, wind noise, etc.). The factory crossbars install by removing the plastic cap at the back end of the rails- do those pieces feel like they will survive multiple/frequent removal?

I'd like to go with the factory crossbars as they look nice and keep everything low to the roof. If frequent removal is going to be an issue I'll go with aftermarket. Any favorites out there for the new Explorer?

Hi Randy, at first I had to struggle to remove the factory crossbars, but once you figure it out it's pretty simple. The issue will be with the plastic covers and the end of the back of the rails, I can see them breaking with frequent removals.
I installed yakima lowriders (they attach to the roof rails) with 58" long round cross bars. Originally I installed them without removing the factory cross bars and the vibration/ wind noise was HORRIBLE! I then took off the factory cross bars and now that yakima set-up is bearable from a noise point of view.

I think the rear covers look durable enough for frequent on/off. They do have metal clips as I recall, unlike the plastic only tabs on the hitch cover.

The other thing you could consider would be removing the bars and leaving the mounting brackets in place. You would probably need to get some shorter bolts to keep them in place without the bars.

I have removed my factory cross bars 4 or 5 times (for aesthetics as well) and find no issue. As long as you are careful when removing the plastic endcaps, I think they should last for years of use. The clips are metal.

If you don't have a sunroof, all the pieces of the factory crossbars go together well for storage. I don't have a sunroof, but the spacer used for the sunroof seems a bit cheap.

I have removed my factory cross bars 4 or 5 times (for aesthetics as well) and find no issue. As long as you are careful when removing the plastic endcaps, I think they should last for years of use. The clips are metal.

If you don't have a sunroof, all the pieces of the factory crossbars go together well for storage. I don't have a sunroof, but the spacer used for the sunroof seems a bit cheap.
Put mine back on today, getting ready for a trip in another week. Even though I have a sun roof, I did not bother with the spacers. The moon roof only elevates less than an inch. I lined them up above the back edge of the front glass so you don't see them from inside.

Cross-Bar's

I have a new OEM set if anyone's interested?

still EXPLORING

I am still exploring my options for crossbars. Can anyone shed any light on Thule? I am now considering adding the Thule 450 crossroad with load stops. Any feedback? Thanks.

Torper brought up a question I need answered and I even read the manual! Can you get the antenna off? I have an 11' canoe and I don't want it to break while I'm loading it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming you mean just the antenna section that is sticking up, yes, it unscrews. Quite a few people have unscrewed that antenna and changed to a "shark" antenna, which looks like what you see on the BMW's and other cars.

Back