tgreene92's '98 xlt build thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tgreene92's '98 xlt build thread

Do you have any pics, or info on the snorkel from inside the engine compartment?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any pics, or info on the snorkel from inside the engine compartment?

yea i have a bunch of pics im gunna upload soon thatll show. pretty much just cut a hole in the airbox then ran a piece of pvc into the airbox, then out of the fender with a 90 bend and then back and up with a 45 bend. im kinda on hold right now with finishing the bumpers cuz i took the rig out for a test drive, then realized there was some moisture in the oil which turned out to be gas so im troubleshooting that right now.

I ditched my airbox years ago when I got the K&N (and later the Amsoil) open element filters. I'm gonna have to just PVC right to the MAF and intake tube, and put the filter on top of the snorkel I guess.

I ditched my airbox years ago when I got the K&N (and later the Amsoil) open element filters. I'm gonna have to just PVC right to the MAF and intake tube, and put the filter on top of the snorkel I guess.

that wont work unfortunately, you have to have a filter inside the engine compartment in some sort of sealed box, filters on tops of snorkels get destroyed very fast and will still let water through when it rains. try to find an airbox at a junkyard, if you cant ive got another, it just has a hole that has to be covered up and siliconed. i have a few friends that ran cone filters on top of snorkels and they got rid of it real quick for either a safari snorkel head or just a 90 degree bend of pvc, which also helps ram air into the tube while driving, and if it starts to rain you just turn it backwards. Ill post some pics of how i ran it when i get back from the pines later tonight.

Oh yeah, you're all off for some sandy wheelin today! Hope ya have fun. Thanx for the help! I'm sure I can fab a sealed box inside the engine compartment around the cone filter. We shall see.

This is how i ran the snorkel into the air box, pretty much just cut a hole in the box put the pipe in the box, siliconed it up real good then ran it out the fender. for the stock intake location i just removed it then glued a piece of plexiglass over it and siliconed that too. Still trying to find the injector filters and hats/caps. then have to get new plugs and plug wires, clean everything i took apart from the top end, and reassemble. hoping my gas in oil issue will be solved after that, i think i was getting incomplete burn. besides that progress has been slow the past 2 weeks due to school and work, the bumpers are almost finished but im gunna hold off on pics cuz im going to make a seperate writeup on their build.

Attachments

• explorer005.jpg
    explorer005.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 470

Thanx!

Still waiting for my injector rebuild kit to show up, so no real progress on getting it running again. In the little time I have now, I did make a little progress on the bumpers, still have to trim about an inch off the bottom of the front, box them in and paint. Also got some new (junkyard new) Edelbrock shocks on, as well as welded in some supports to my advance auto parts shackles, just as good as warriors now. I'm hoping the kit will show up tomorrow or Thursday, and i can have the top end put back together by the end of this weekend.

Attachments

• explorer011.jpg
    explorer011.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 459
  • explorer012.jpg
    explorer012.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 448
  • explorer010.jpg
    explorer010.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 453

nice score on the shocks

yea i got 4 edelbrock shocks, a tranny cooler, taillight, and a pa speaker for 50 bucks, it was a pretty good score.

Hey Tom,

What yard do you go to. My local u-pull it is getting to be slim pickins. I don't mind a little travel to score some parts.

Hey Tom,

What yard do you go to. My local u-pull it is getting to be slim pickins. I don't mind a little travel to score some parts.

either the albion u-pull-it on the white horse pike, there explorer picking are getting slim now though. the one i usually go to is called orthodox auto parts, its right over the Tacony Palmyra bridge which is only 10 mins and a 2 dollar toll from me. they have TONS of explorers...if you ever want to go let me know and ill go with you or if you ever need anything let me know and i can try to pick it up when im there. On i side note the injector rebuild kit showed up today so hopefully ill have the top end back together by this weekend and have it on the road sometime next week, this is all assuming that this fixes the gas in oil issue.

Great. You'll be out pissin on peoples windshields in no time! Seriously folks, next time you're going over there PM me and let me know. Maybe I'll run up or if I can't maybe you can grab some things for me. Appreciate the offer. Good luck with the injectors.

Great. You'll be out pissin on peoples windshields in no time! Seriously folks, next time you're going over there PM me and let me know. Maybe I'll run up or if I can't maybe you can grab some things for me. Appreciate the offer. Good luck with the injectors.

yep no problem ill let you know.

damn that frt bumper is hugh, and look tremedously heavy.

damn that frt bumper is hugh, and look tremedously heavy.

yea its pretty big, it does have to get trimmed down on the bottom though, and yes it is a tad tilted but its just tacked in place for now it still has to come on for final trimming, grinding, and painting. and around my way heavy is good. trails are tight so it has to be able to take some serious abuse, and there are TONS of deer. I clipped a small doe in my green ex, no damage fortunately, but i can think of at least 5 people i know that have hit good sized deer head on and had some serious damage.

and there are TONS of deer. I clipped a small doe in my green ex, no damage fortunately, but i can think of at least 5 people i know that have hit good sized deer head on and had some serious damage.

Well I tell you what, Bambi better get out of the way for sure. Because there is only one conclusion to the story if she tempts to take it on.

How much are you going to take off at the bottom? And is that c-channel or rectangular stack. And are you using the original bumper brackets to mount it, or are you squaring off the frame ends and welding on your own brackets to hold it secure? Like to see the end result when done.

Also, I really like this bumper, and would not mind fabbing one up for myself to put on my X. I am trying to figure out what is mounted at the top in the middle hump of that bumper, what is mounted in the middle of it? And do you have any pics of the back of it or can you take a few for me to look at the back of it? And do you have dimensions to go by on that bumper? Any help would be great to allow me to tackle that myself. Thanks bud
bumper.jpg

Well I tell you what, Bambi better get out of the way for sure. Because there is only one conclusion to the story if she tempts to take it on.

How much are you going to take off at the bottom? And is that c-channel or rectangular stack. And are you using the original bumper brackets to mount it, or are you squaring off the frame ends and welding on your own brackets to hold it secure? Like to see the end result when done.

Also, I really like this bumper, and would not mind fabbing one up for myself to put on my X. I am trying to figure out what is mounted at the top in the middle hump of that bumper, what is mounted in the middle of it? And do you have any pics of the back of it or can you take a few for me to look at the back of it? And do you have dimensions to go by on that bumper? Any help would be great to allow me to tackle that myself. Thanks bud
View attachment 64776

another 1 or 2 inches will come off the bottom, the bumper is big but it really isn't nearly as big as the picture makes it look. i think that is a winch mounting bracket on top and the middle is a tow receiver. I did not make that bumper, i saw that one on therangerstation.com and decided to model after it. I did one less angle cut than that but otherwise mine will look the same, I'm going to make a separate thread for my bumpers when there done so you can see start to finish and what a difference it will be but ill try to throw up a pic or two of how i mounted mine when i get home from work tonight and get you some dimensions. I used 1/4 flat stock for the main bumper, 3/16 rectangular stock for the mounts, and 5/16 square stock for the crossmember.

got some more progress done, was going to put the top end back together today after rebuilding all the injectors and cleaning everything real good but got started and then realized i was missing an injector that i now cant find. ordered a new one, besides that i got the 33s mounted and got a little more done on the bumpers. I graduate next week so i should have plenty of free time to get it finished. Ill have some pics tomorrow as it got dark out before i could get some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

trucks looking good man..the fricking parts just came in for my truck.

Back