• Register Today It's free!

Rear Climate Control

jdesan

Reaction score
City, State
OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 202A
XLT with 202A trim: Has anyone had trouble operating the rear climate controls? I don't know if it's me or it just isn't working. I seem to be following the intructions in the manual but the only thing I can get is the rear panel shows " climate Locked" when that's off the 3 buttons don't light up when pressed and the fan control does nothing.

Does Auto temp have to be off? And, the control's symbols show 3 directions for air flow....where are the vents? And, bear with me, what is supposed to come out of the 6 roof vents?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLT with 202A trim: Has anyone had trouble operating the rear climate controls? I don't know if it's me or it just isn't working. I seem to be following the intructions in the manual but the only thing I can get is the rear panel shows " climate Locked" when that's off the 3 buttons don't light up when pressed and the fan control does nothing.

Does Auto temp have to be off? And, the control's symbols show 3 directions for air flow....where are the vents? And, bear with me, what is supposed to come out of the 6 roof vents?

Thanks

If you go into your climate area on MFT, hit the "rear" button, and then there will be a button that will allow you give contol to the rear panel. Hit that, and you'll be able to operate it from the back.

I was struggling with it, too and finally stumbled across the solution (I am learning as I go, haven't read much of the manual yet).

When you pull up the rear climate info on the screen, there is a "button" on the leftmost side of the controls that simply reads "Rear". Touch that to transfer control to the rear panel. There is also a power "button" in the middle which is the master on/off for the rear.

I was struggling with it, too and finally stumbled across the solution (I am learning as I go, haven't read much of the manual yet).

When you pull up the rear climate info on the screen, there is a "button" on the leftmost side of the controls that simply reads "Rear". Touch that to transfer control to the rear panel. There is also a power "button" in the middle which is the master on/off for the rear.

What he said. But further, you MUST take the time to read and understand the SYNC/MFT. otherwise you'll just become frustrated, and won't get all the cool features you paid for.
It took me three evenings for a total of about 15-hours to get everything set the way I wanted. And I'm in the business! This car rocks!

That worked

Thanks. I now see how the rear works. I have read much of the Manual and your right, it takes quite a bit of time to get through all of it.

My wife wanted all the bells and whistles but for me I could do with less..:)

Is the rear climate control supposed to be automatic based on the front temperature set or is it just manually controlled from the front or back?

Is the rear climate control supposed to be automatic based on the front temperature set or is it just manually controlled from the front or back?

When not set to be controlled by the rear it will be set to the temp of what's set in MFT, otherwise the rear passengers have the ability to change the temp to whatever they feel like.

When not set to be controlled by the rear it will be set to the temp of what's set in MFT, otherwise the rear passengers have the ability to change the temp to whatever they feel like.

That's what I would have assumed. However, the other day AC was blowing in front of car, had rear climate on but set to be controlled from front, and nothing was blowing out of the back vents. Even though it was very hot in the back? Had to manually turn on fan for back. I'll have to check it out again.

My wife and I are struggling with the rear temperature control as well. My wife likes to control the temperature of the entire cabin just using the driver controls. This works for the driver and passenger side (up front), but the rear seems to depend soley on the MFT "rear" control settings, or directly from the rear control panel (if activated).

Is it true that you have to always go into the rear control panel on MFT to rise/lower the rear temperature? Shouldn't the driver controls be able to override it all and set one temp/fan setting for entire car? That's how it worked on our Highlander.

Please help.

Yes, the rear climate control is pretty much manual. You have to start it after switching the main climate on, set the required heat level (no temp. Selection), and fan speed.

OK, that's what I was thinking, and it's pretty lame in that regard.

Also, I assume if A/C is on for front, the rear will get it when the rear temp. is set into the blue region?

Rear Climate Control problem

When pressed the power on MFT it gave me the control of the rear temperature and fan but I noticed that the the air only blows at 3rd row.
When I pressed the rear button that gives control to the second row the air now blows at 2nd row and 3rd row.

Is that how it supposed to work?

I'm going to double check again tomorrow. I might be missing something.

That sounds strange. I have not played with this yet (actually no one has ever even sat in my 3rd row yet).....the only thing I can think is when you allow control to the rear, that the fan control there is set higher than in your screen and you're seeing the effects of that?

I just confirmed that giving the control to the rear. The rear can control their own settings and the air blows in 2nd and 3rd rows.

but when the control is on the MFT there's no air coming out of the second row.

It's just weird that there would be no air on second row when the rear climate is on and controlled by MFT.

That sounds strange. I have not played with this yet (actually no one has ever even sat in my 3rd row yet).....the only thing I can think is when you allow control to the rear, that the fan control there is set higher than in your screen and you're seeing the effects of that?

Noticed the same issue this week on mine. Trying to control the rear air from the dashboard display results in no overhead air to the 2nd row. I have a 2 year old in the back seat who cannot reach the rear controls, but needs the warm air on her on cold mornings. The only way for me to do this is to change to rear control and reach back and adjust from the rear console. Potentially unsafe while driving.... :thumbdwn:

I find it strange that the 2nd and 3rd rows have independent air supplies. I would think they would both blow at the same time, just independent of the front row.

Have you checked to see if there is any impact on the airflow depending on the air direction setting on the MFT screen? Haven't played with it on mine, but given that you can direct airflow to the upper, upper/lower or lower front, it may impact the second row.

On my '02, I could set the second row to either come out on the lower or upper with a selector switch.

There is a note in the owner's manual that says that the rear controls may be overridden with the front controls. So maybe when that happens the second row takes on the same airflow settings (upper/lower, etc) as the front.

Don't know. I'll have to check it out on mine, but it's a possibility.

Have you checked to see if there is any impact on the airflow depending on the air direction setting on the MFT screen? Haven't played with it on mine, but given that you can direct airflow to the upper, upper/lower or lower front, it may impact the second row.

On my '02, I could set the second row to either come out on the lower or upper with a selector switch.

There is a note in the owner's manual that says that the rear controls may be overridden with the front controls. So maybe when that happens the second row takes on the same airflow settings (upper/lower, etc) as the front.

Don't know. I'll have to check it out on mine, but it's a possibility.
Nope - no impact. Mine functions exactly as yours does. I usually have the rear controls turned on and just reach back and adjust them. I'm fairl tall, so I don't have much problem doing so.

But that's not right. Sounds like a PM to the IVT is in order. Did something get screwed up? Is a menu missing from MFT? Or is this some kind of "feature".....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They all work the same, mine is same way, don't stress it out.

Back