Blend Door Actuator Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blend Door Actuator Help

schach23

Reaction score
Hello,

So I have searched through the threads here on the blend door actuator problem, trying to find a fix for my issue.

First of all, I have the DATC and my problem is that in the summer, my driver's side vent and middle vents blow luke warm air while the passenger side blows cold air. The rear air blows cold air and I measured the temperature at 65 degrees. I checked the refridgerant using a guage I got at the local auto parts store and it says I am good from that stand point. In the the winter, I do get the clicking sound from somewhere in the dash when I first turn on the car. This leads me to the blend door actuator. Now since I have the DATC, I am assuming I have two actuator's in the dash, and that my likely problem one is the driver's side actuator. Most of the threads here that I have searched for and read state the problem is that most of you are getting cold air in the winter (no heat). My problem is no cold air in the summer when the AC is turned on (so with the DATC I turned off auto, turned temp to 60, turned up the vent control, and made full blast a/c was on).

Am I correct that I need a new driver's side blend door actuator?

Also, does anyone out there have a part number from the dealer? Any thoughts on non-dealer parts? I saw one thread that didn't recommend anything other than dealer parts for this.

Thanks

Scott

Hi Scott,

You're going through exactly the same sequence of events and troubleshooting I went through.

I went as far as replacing the driver's side actuator as I also experienced the wintertime clicking noise. However, I still had the same air conditioning experience (warm air driver side; cooler air everywhere else) until I fed another 12 oz can of refrigerant into the A/C system.

I was both nervous and a bit skeptical that adding more refrigerant would fix my problem, but there are a number of other posts in the A/C forum regarding the relatively high refrigerant capacity of the Ex A/C system. Several others have also resolved the "split flow" problem via more refrigerant.

Now - with that said - if you decide to replace the actuator I suggest you use the parts finder on www.fordparts.com . You can enter your VIN and the system will locate the exact replacement part that you need, and also has exploding parts diagrams to help identify right parts. You can also use the site to check dealer prices for different dealers in your area. In my case I paid $54.16 for part number F7DZ19E616BA (Motor Asy - A/C Door Actuator) for my '03 Explorer Limited.

Good luck!

- Zee

Thanks,

I guess before I go tearing this thing up, I'll just try to recharge.

Scott

Back