Dealer pricing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer pricing

JPT

Reaction score
Just got back from my dealer and here is his offer to me. This 2011 EX is to be shipped to him in July.

$38,790.00 Window sticker
$ 285.00 Dealer prep fee
$ 750.00 Direct mail offer-Which I applied for
$ 500.00 Rebate
$12,450.00 Trade in-Which is $1000.00 less than Blue Book trade in value

My question-Does this look like a deal to you ?
What would you think a fair price should be ?
This doesn't look to good to me.
JPT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I read that right, he is giving you $50 off the window sticker price (and giving you $1K under BB on your trade)?

Plenty of us have done better. Credit Unions, Costco, simple negotiating, etc.

first i would find the real book value, KBB is not what dealers use, so that might be why they told you 1000 less than KBB. If the other value is the same or more than KBB than def a bad value for you.... as far as price, i would go somewhere else and shop around. they want your business so let several dealers fight for your business....

You shouldn't be working off the window sticker price, you should be workingo off the invoice price.

Without knowing all of the pieces of the deal, it's not possible to tell how good or bad it is (like what are you trading in, what condition it is in, and what the market is for similar vehicles).

A dealer I know says he is not dealing much on Ford vehicles right now. Demand is good and he doesn't have them sitting on the lot for long when they arrive.

YMMV

KBB is only a rough guide, and it's always high. Unfortunately for the seller, KBB offers a value, but doesn't back their number up by offering to pay you that figure for it!
Auction is the only trade value source, and for that matter, the dealer may not even want your trade. They may already have three like yours that they paid too much for, just to make the deal.
If you think the dealer is low, see what CARMAX will give you. It doesn't get any easier than that to unload an old car.
Don't listen to those that encourage you to waste weeks of your time at a dealer jerking each other around. Life's too short.
Now let's hear from the grinders that think I'm crazy!
Come to an agreement and pull the trigger.

who said anything about weeks? In my area i could go to 8-10 ford dealers in a weekend and have a decision by monday.... now i know not everyone has that many dealers near them, but i'm sure there's more than just one. I'm not a haggler by any means, but i'm also not going to pay a dealers price just cause i cant be bothered to look around.

Back