Will 2.5" lift, glass fenders & 33's work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will 2.5" lift, glass fenders & 33's work?

trailblazr81

Reaction score
City, State
Hollister
So my 1992 4 door 4x4 Exploder with 120,000 miles is being retired from DD service due to now having a longer commute. First I considered selling it and buying something else to 'Wheel, but figured I could save some cash by building what I have. So will a James Duff 2.5" lift including Extended Radius Arms with some 4" fiberglass fenders work with 33x12.5 tires?? Rear fenders I may put some flares on. Also may go with 285/75/16 tires which are about an inch narrower I would like to keep this thing low. I also plan on some 4.10 gears, a locker, some armor, and a big ass tranny cooler.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a lot of trimming.fenders are like $450i would say a 4" and trimming would be better.you wouldn't want to trim brand new fenders.i had to trim with 5.5 and 33s

That sucks. I wanna try to keep this thing low. Guess its not gonna happen.

If you want to keep it low i would go cheap and get a 3" body lift and keep stock fender and trim th e hell out of them.

JJd lift ain't cheap.i would use it for 4.88s and a locker.4.88if its just a wheeler

I dont want to go all body lift. Want to improve the suspension some. Maybe a 2" lift with a small 1" body lift. I found a thread that shows how to do a cheap 1.5" body lift for about 50 bucks. I'll prolly keep my rear limited slip and add a front one. Or if have $$ lock front n rear. Since I wanna take this thing camping as well as drive to different locations to wheel I need to be able to cruise on freeway. So no more than 4.56's. :rangertan:
If you want to keep it low i would go cheap and get a 3" body lift and keep stock fender and trim th e hell out of them.

There are some pictures on the site of my explorer at Moab this year. 1.5" body lift, trimmed fenders and 37" bfg mud terrains.

There are some pictures on the site of my explorer at Moab this year. 1.5" body lift, trimmed fenders and 37" bfg mud terrains.

Good lord. Is there anything left of your fenders?

Haha yea i wanna see!! I run 36 with 5.5 and a 3" bl and had to trim 3" out of my fenders

Is this you?

P52000460012.jpg

P52000470013.jpg

P51900150005.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

m_DSC00148.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

IMG_0137.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Images are from the Moab 2011 thread.

Damn! !!

yeah, that's him!

Damn Alan :rolleyes:

Wow.

That's some good looking fender trims too, btw.

Dang.

Hhahaha what fender trimming? I don't see any fenders? ?:)

Do you have limited up travel? Longer bumpstops? Seems like the fender would tear up your tires at the top. In these 2 pics looks like top of tire will hit fender if the wheel travels up any.
Is this you?
attachment.php

IMG_0135.jpg

Images are from the Moab 2011 thread.

No, travel is not limited in any way, although I did run with the sway bars connected. The rear tires will hit the bottom of the fender if you would jump it, but articulating allows the rear tires to tuck right in. The rear tires did rub on the rock sliders so the diff. had to be slid 3/4" back. The fronts fit with the inner liners zip tied back. They rubbed at full lock so I tightened the zip ties and its good! There is a mark on each radius arm where the tires have touched them though.

And here i was considering 35"s on a 2" lift would be hard to pull off... :hammer:

Back