better gas mileage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

better gas mileage

I did not notice a change after I put one on mine. Hoping it would did help justify the purchase, though. I am sure one would help your mileage :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its been a while now since i got the tonneua cover on and i notice better gas milage. I now get about 16.5 with other mods. Such as muffler.

the 4.0 has terrible gas mileage. I love my sport trac but ford sh@t on this engine it is not a very smartly built v6. My 5.3L vortec 2001 4x4 tahoe which weighed 6800 lbs gets better gas mileage than my sport trac. should have built a 5 speed auto but they didnt give it enough power...

I agree that the biggest improvement comes from driving habits. People that follow me out of the parking lot at work complain because I drive like an old man. I have been getting around 20mpg with my '01 ST 4x4. I definately noticed an improvement after my last oil change using Mobil Super Synthetic. Pre oil change was around 18mpg. My truck is all stock. I run with the tailgate down (tonneau cover is long gone) and the cruise control on most of the time. I plan to eventually take the running boards off because they're more in the way for us than serve their purpose. I'm sure removing that extra weight will help some.

Back