• Register Today It's free!

Drive shaft extension...

Palmer7

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton/Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
EXPLORER YEAH!!!
I know, I know... Everyone asks this but I get so many back and forth mix signals and I just want to know for sure. I'm going to be getting 4 inch superrunner kit and I'm planning on doing shackles, add a leaf and coil spacers which I'm guessing is about 6 inches of lift plus i'm going to have 35' tires on my stock D35 and Ford 8.8 and the question I want answered is... Will I have to extend my Drive shaft?

Thank you for any responses and yes I know this is asked a lot but I want recent knowledge and not knowledge from the archive because information could be different now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 6" skyjacker kit in the front of mine. The stock driveshafts seem to be fine.

I had an extra front shaft from a 4x4 ranger that had a Dana 28 front, it was a bit longer, and I used it, but it wasn't needed. (the D28 shaft doesn't look as beefy as the dana 35 front shaft either, btw)

May I suggest that instead of using shackles and add-a-leaf for the rear, that you might look into swapping the rear springs to the top of the rear axle? Its 5.5 inches or so lift for about $40....
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46236

Well I was thinking about doing an SOA but I wanted to get the skyjacker soa swap but they don't sell it anymore. So I haven't really planned out what I should do if I want to do the SOA.

if your good at measuring and welding make your own skyjacker style perches. when i did mine i didnt have to extend the driveshaft i took the dust protecter off and checked how much splines i had in and it was like 2 inches. i havent had a problem with it

An SOA swap is pretty easy really. The hard part is going to Tractor Supply and getting the trailer axle spring perches, and welding them on. The rest is easy.

If you have the tools, some knowledge, and a few buddies, it takes a day or less. The Worst case scenario is putting it back like you started.
:)

When I did my 5.5" Superlift with the SOA, if I get on the brakes real hard the rear driveshaft seperates at the slip.

It sounds like you might have an axle wrap problem bro... are your rear springs really soft?

some axle wrap in conjunction with the rear end lifting under heavy braking might cause that to happen... I've never heard of that - but then I'm not as learned as many of the folks around here. lol

I hope you add a driveshaft safety loop! :)

Alright sorry I haven't posted back I plan on doing an soa but if my drive shaft does end poping out like cculter's does what should I do? So I am at least able to drive around before I can get an extension.

I am sure I have some axel wrap, the springs aren't really that soft though. With the truck just sitting there you can see the slip is out farther than normal.

hmmm.... I wonder what your pinion angle is....

If it wasn't raining outside I'd go snap a couple pics of mine - pinion angle, drive shaft joint, etc...

Granted, I don't wheel my truck to the extreme (it's my daily driver), but I've never had any troubles with it wheeling, towing, or anything.

Alright sorry I haven't posted back I plan on doing an soa but if my drive shaft does end poping out like cculter's does what should I do? So I am at least able to drive around before I can get an extension.

Hey take your time. A well thought out and planned mod is worth it. (!)

It seems to me, in a worst case scenario, that you could buy an extra driveshaft and use it to build a longer one. (take two and make one)

However, cculter's problem needs fixing. I've never heard of a driveshaft popping out like that before.

I hope some of the other guys around here chime in. :)

Well I was thinking about doing an SOA but I wanted to get the skyjacker soa swap but they don't sell it anymore. So I haven't really planned out what I should do if I want to do the SOA.

Ruff Stuff sells the perches for SOA. Some people flip and modify the old shock mount but I made my own so I could use larger shocks. If you can weld, it is an easy conversion.

I did the install and it looks like the driveline length will be OK on road but i'm planning on taking it to the local drive shaft shop and having it checked prior to heavy use! It only runs about $100 here to have them modified to make them the ideal length...

If interested here are some pics of my SOA conversion.

You need to realize that your rig will sit higher in the rear if you go with the 4" up front... I put the 5.5" Superrunner up front and it's a perfect match. If you haven't installed their kit before, you may want to look at my other photo albums and my Going Up! and Shock too short? threads. These may save you some "Hard Knocks" on installing their package...

Good luck and HAVE SOME FUN!

Thanks guys

Thanks for the imput guys, I am keeping a close eye on this thread since I will more than likley be helping pPalmer7 put the lift together when he is ready. Once again thanks for the info and if anyone has any tips or pointers on this subject I will be reading and taking in all the knowlege. I have not done a lift of this caliber but feel very capibale.Preperation is half the battle right. :notworthy

Back