Help needed with 4x4 on a 1992 Explorer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help needed with 4x4 on a 1992 Explorer.

etta541

Reaction score
City, State
Salem Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 ford Explorer xlt
I just got this 92 explorer. I tried the 4x4 out and now it is stuck in 4x4 but the light on the dash is off. I did the test on the thing in the back and the light blinks 3 time. My other half want to put manual hubs on it. Is this good or bad? how do you do it?

Thanks

Etta

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a couple of things. The shift motor could be stuck or "lost". By lost I mean that if the plastic stop inside on the contact gear breaks or gets misshapen the switch plate goes beyond where it supposed to and the GEM gets lost, not knowing where it is. The other thing it could be is the vacuum operated CAD(center axle disconnect) could be not releasing. If this were the case the 4wd light wouldn't be on but it would feel like it was still in 4wd. You can check the shift motor by removing the 4 bolts that hold it on and looking under it. The shift ranges are marked on the t-case under the motor. The selector shaft is triangular and the pointed side will be facing what ever range the case is currently in. If it is pointing at 2wd then your problem may be in the CAD. If it is pointing at either 4hi or 4lo and the dash light isn't on the motor may be fetched up. If you shift the 4wd range switch into 4wd do you hear the motor switching and does the 4wd indicator on the dash come on?

Could be a couple of things. The shift motor could be stuck or "lost". By lost I mean that if the plastic stop inside on the contact gear breaks or gets misshapen the switch plate goes beyond where it supposed to and the GEM gets lost, not knowing where it is. The other thing it could be is the vacuum operated CAD(center axle disconnect) could be not releasing. If this were the case the 4wd light wouldn't be on but it would feel like it was still in 4wd. You can check the shift motor by removing the 4 bolts that hold it on and looking under it. The shift ranges are marked on the t-case under the motor. The selector shaft is triangular and the pointed side will be facing what ever range the case is currently in. If it is pointing at 2wd then your problem may be in the CAD. If it is pointing at either 4hi or 4lo and the dash light isn't on the motor may be fetched up. If you shift the 4wd range switch into 4wd do you hear the motor switching and does the 4wd indicator on the dash come on?

I have it up on blocks so all 4 wheels are off the ground. All 4 tires turn and when i push the button on the dash I hear nothing happen and the light does not come on at all.

O.K. so your next step is to determine where the problem lies. If it is securely up on stands then you can remove the shift motor and see what range the t-case is in. If it is in 4hi, you can grab the shaft with a pair of pliers and turn it back to 2wd. This will get you by until you figure out if the shift motor is bad or not. While the motor is still connected but off the t-case you can have someone turn the range switch and you can see if the motor shifts. If it doesn't then more than likely the shift motor is bad. There are some electrical tests you can try if you're up to it.

ok I will start with doing all that. Thank you so much with your help, I will keep you posted. I have the day off tomorrow so I will be working on it.

ok i took off the motor and looked at where it was pointed. it was pointed to 2WH. we turned the shaft at first it would not turn the tires at all. turned it a little more it clicked and now it is out of 4x4. finely!!!!!!! but now when i push the button the motor will not move. I took the motor off and tested the motor with 12v. and it works.

so now i have it out of 4x4. I know the motor is good. so now where do i go with it...... HELP i want to have 4x4 to have fun camping this summer......

I think i might be the buttons in the dash? i'm not sure?

after reading over everything here I guess i could be the vacuum operated CAD(center axle disconnect).... now where do i find this on the explorer and how do i fix it. I have found a explorer this guy is parting out. I just need to know what and where i am looking for this vacuum operated CAD(center axle disconnect) so i can get it off the parts explorer.

ok so i need to take the motor apart and look at it. hummmmm I can get one off the parts explorer to for 30.00..... ok going to work on it now thank you soooooooo much. i will let you guys know what happens...... :rolleyes:

so im think that the stop in the motor is not the vacuum operated CAD(center axle disconnect). I need to know where to find it. cuz i really think that is what i need to fix.

Back