• Register Today It's free!

ECM may be fried...

93TwotoneXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, In
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT4x4
First off, hello to all. Have not been on here for a long time. Gave the X to my Dad and he just bought a new(to him) 03 X sport with 36k on the clock. He said I could have my 93 back so I am pumped. I love this truck. The problem is that I started it to let it cool down inside and after a minute it lost its idle then just died. When I opened the door smoke was blowing out of the a/c vents! The smoke seemed to have a definate electrical insulation smell to it. My Dad swapped the batt from the 93 to the 03(new batt) and I am thinking that he may have crossed the cables when he initially installed the batt out of the 03 possibly killing the ECM. So now the fuel pump does not power on. I don't hear the fuel pump relay clicking so I am thinking the ECM may be kaput. Any ideas would be appreciated. Glad to be back and keep the bottom side down!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuses and relays first.

If your dad switched the polarity, the fuses may have all blown in unison to protect their respective circuits. If all the fuses are OK, check (or possibly replace) the relays and see if they're OK.

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I checked all of the relays, fuses, etc. to make sure none of them blew. All of the fuses check out ok. I swapped out relays from one system to another and no joy. Thanks for the help.

Have you checked for power/ground at the PCM? If the PCM is getting power and ground and not doing anything, then, the PCM might be dead.

There are fuse-like devices molded into some wires, they are called fusible links, mainly around the starter relay up by the battery. See if any of those look like they recently fried. You may end up taking a voltmeter and starting at the battery to see where the voltage stops.

Thanks for the help everyone. She will turn over all day but no start. I am going to bust out the voltmeter today and start probing...

Just a quick update, I was over at the parents' house for fathers day and decided to take a look at the dash to make sure all of the lights came on. All of the check lights come on except for the check engine light. So, when I get a chance I am going to test for voltage at the PCM. Seems that it may indeed be fried. Update when I know more.

Back