Shock Replacement how to vid....

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
Wasn't exactly sure where to post this so here it is. Couple vids I shot yesterday. These vids were done on my ranger but its pretty much the same idea. Comments and subscriptions are appreciated :)
Front

Rear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the new videos:chug:

I added these two to the first post of your video page.

I just did new shocks all the way round today.

For a 2nd generation Explorer, if you have a 13mm ratcheting box end (gear wrench style) to remove the top nuts on the rear shocks, you will congratulate yourself on your ingenuity and foresight.

For the front shock top tower, I used a 20" long 1/2" extension and deep socket from the top, hood open. When the rusted nuts stopped turning, I changed to a bigger ratchet and simply twisted them off. No cutting needed and easier than expected.

P.S Ford, WTF is up with the 18mm? Why?

Thanks for the new videos:chug:

I added these two to the first post of your video page.

Thanks Rick! U da man.

I just did new shocks all the way round today.

For a 2nd generation Explorer, if you have a 13mm ratcheting box end (gear wrench style) to remove the top nuts on the rear shocks, you will congratulate yourself on your ingenuity and foresight.

For the front shock top tower, I used a 20" long 1/2" extension and deep socket from the top, hood open. When the rusted nuts stopped turning, I changed to a bigger ratchet and simply twisted them off. No cutting needed and easier than expected.

P.S Ford, WTF is up with the 18mm? Why?

I tried the under the hood method and it didnt work for me... Everything was just way too rusty. :(

what type did you switch to?

I believe these are the monroe sensa-trac's. They were the cheapest ones on Rockauto.com. So far im satisfied with them. Nothing too special though.

Back