Band adjustment helped for awhile, now acting up again (5r55w) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Band adjustment helped for awhile, now acting up again (5r55w)

skid809

Reaction score
City, State
Bellevue, MI
Hey all, sorry for the super long title, a few weeks ago i had a problem where my X (02 xlt 4.0 4x4 with 125k) wouldnt go into OD and had a hard time shifting to 3rd gear. I changed out the solenoid pack and adjusted the bands. I didnt have any luck with the solenoid pack, the band adjustment seemed to "fix" it. We have put almost 1000 miles on it since then now we are back to the same exact problem. Question is when i adjusted the bands (the OD band took ~4 turns) did I compensate for the servo bores being wore out, dry or another problem? I havent had the code read, but i would presume it would be the same thing (PO745)? Thing acts exactly like it did a few weeks ago.

Not a trans expert but very mechanical everwhere else. I have been looking at the eBay servo repair kit for $199. I talked to him awhile ago but didnt pull the trigger til i knew the exact problem.

Any jelp would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Same thing here, tried adjusting band to make sure it wasn't broke.. After 4-5 turns without any tension, I assumed it was broke. But it actaully did improve, not great, but 1-2 shifts and OD is back. So I'm guessing all the turns is overcompensation for worn servo.

Now I'm looking at ~$1800 to properly sleeve and rebuild... Was considering the o-ring servos, but think I have some sol block issues also, and most likely worn OD band from weak servo engagement.

very similar adjustment issue. after installing the oringed servos, did adjustment and od band went way in (~4 turns) no parts in the pan just really dirty fluid and lots of fines on the magnet. hope to test drive today...

test drive went very well...shifted through all the gears...a little flare in 2-3 so i will try to adjust intermediate band again...o/d works good and no indicator lights. BTW i removed battery cable for several hours to "reset" computer.

Back